Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

On antibiotics for tonsillitis now, desperately trying to get better in time for my flight on Sunday!

This may be an unconventional chicken soup for the ill, but my appetite hasn't been good and I wanted something a bit different. Plus the leftovers are good even a couple of days later. If you have a poorly throat I would only use one chilli maximum, and strain the flavouring 'bits' out of the broth with a sieve after simmering for 5 minutes but before adding the mushrooms and chicken.

http://www.newcoventgardensoup.com/members-soups/hot-sour-chicken-soup

Poor Plum:( I hope you feel better soon.

The chicken soup sounds yummy, and it does help you a lot when you're feeling ill.

Thanks Cali. Funnily enough although my tonsils feel a little better since starting the antibiotics, the rest of me feels sicker! If it weren't for my flight I would have waited a few more days before going to the doc, in case they got better on their own. The good bacteria in the gut are a huge part of the immune system and of course the antibiotic wipes them out. But it's too late to undo it now so I'll carry on!

Ohh nooo! :( Poor Plum! I notice antibiotics always makes me feel really tired and exhausted. A great way to replenish those good bacteria is to eat lots of yoghurt.

Oh you poor thing. Being on antibiotics is not fun but hopefully you are on the road to recovery. Along with yoghurt, Actimel helps, doesn't it? If it's a strong dose of antibiotics, it will wear you out no matter what. Look after yourself.

Yes the antibiotic slump is not fun but I'm doing what I can to replenish the good stuff. :)

My goal today is to record my food so I can see how much I'm eating. My appetite hasn't been good and when I do eat it hasn't been very much or very varied. But I think to get better I need to make sure I am getting enough calories. So today I'll record but not especially try to change my food and go from there.

I hope you're feeling better today Plum.

So, I was trying to get back to more normal food today and I have definitely succeeded. I managed to eat reasonable quantities of things without wanting to fall over and die. Hurray! \o/ Hope I still feel a bit better tomorrow after eating bread and pasta, it might not be scientific but I think starches and sugars probably feed the germs.

Breakfast: rye toast w/pb and apple butter

Snack: greek yoghurt

Lunch: mixed salad with roast chicken

Snacks: pistachios, banana, yoghurt w/strawberries and manuka honey

Dinner: macaroni/cauliflower cheese, quorn dippers

Last edited:
Good to hear that you have your appetite back and you have managed to eat a fair (right!) amount too :)

And well done on completing your goal for the day. :D

Thanks Ashie! It might sound vain but I've got everything crossed that I'll maintain my lurghy loss at tomorrow's weighin, ha! Some good should get to come out of all that don't you think? ;)

There's always an upside to everything :D Got my fingers crossed for you too.

Food sounds good today Plum! Glad to hear you're feeling better :)

I read online that for every 0.5C of fever, your BMR increases by about 7%. I guess this must be true because I dropped 4lb literally overnight and then a further 1lb the next day (of course I wasn't really eating, either). I'm sure some of it was water weight, but I've been drinking normally for the last 2-3 days now and maintained the loss. Some of it may also have been food weight, so I might gain back a bit more yet - I only had my first 'normal' food day yesterday. That said, I'm not going to weigh myself officially now until I come back from Cyprus, so in two weeks. Things could look like anything by then!

So, without further ado, this week I lost 5lb on the tonsillitis diet: high fever and confined to bed for several days, unable to drink or eat more than a tiny bit, and a demeaning trip to the GP where he hustled through my throat swab as quickly as possible and practically shoved me out the door because he was running 25 minutes late - sending delirious text messages about starfish to friends is optional, but recommended. I don't know why a spa doesn't market this! ;)

Hi Plum, hmmm I trying to figure how to say it, without sounding bad at the same time.

Congratulations on the 5lbs weightloss!!!! Woot!!!!:party0011::party0011::party0011:

But I feel bad because I know you went through a lot this past week with being really sick :(

But on the bright side 5lbs loss is awesome! :)

Food today has been a bit off. I found a yucky worm from the garden on a raspberry at breakfast and it kind of threw my appetite. Yuck.

Breakfast: yoghurt with raspberries (half)

Lunch: enormous scotch egg

Snack: enormous amount of dark chocolate

Dinner: homemade chilli with cheese, and guacamole with carrot sticks

Ohhhh ewwww noooo!!! I get really freaked out about bugs. I don't blame you for losing your appetite after finding the worm on your raspberry. Poor Plum :(

The rest of the food sounds yummy though. Only thing I imagine is that Scotch eggs are either 1) Eggs soaked in scotch 2) Eggs wrapped up in scotch tape 3) or drinking a lot of scotch while eating eggs.

Now it's time to google scotch eggs.

Hehe I like your ideas about the eggs Cali!

I'm starting to get a bit stressed, today my throat is worse again despite me taking the drugs faithfully around the clock. I am supposed to work tomorrow and fly to visit my mom on Sunday, she and I both really look forward to it. I am not supposed to be feeling yuckier again. :(

Ok just got done googling scotch eggs. Boy was I completely wrong on what they were. The pictures of them look really yummy. I want some scotch eggs now :)

Back