Poached egg....help!! lol

Or line a ramekin/small cup with microwaveable cling film, break in the egg tie the top of the cling film over the egg and drop into the pan, leave for 2-3 mins remove with slotted spoon blot with kitchen paper and remove the cling film!

Yeah thats how I do them with the cling film, so easy that way. For me at least :)

I was wondering the same thing myself this morning as I want to start doing poached eggs on toast for my lunch at work, thanks for the suggestions!

you need to put a bit of salt and vinegar in the water, boil it, take it off the heat and then drop the egg gently into the water use a spoon to push the white toward the yolk, you will have a lovely egg

Well on the back on the thread I tried the egg in cling film trick .... and failed miserably. Waster three eggs as the cling film stuck to them and there was no way to separate them. The fourth came after much persuasion but I didn't want to eat it just in case there was some plastic on it.

As an aside I looked up the food standard agency website and they say that cling film should not be used where it may melt into the food eg with pots on the hob, and that when cooking it should not come into contact with the food.

So I think i will be going back to the traditional methods.

I bought 2 poached egg pouches from sainsburys. They're made from silicon and you just use a bit of spray light, crack the egg into it, boil some water in a pan put the pouch in, it works better if you put a lid on. Hey presto, a few minutes later you can lift the pouch out with your fingers (because it's silicon it doesn't get hot) and tip your egg out. I think they also sell them in Lakeland, but a bit dearer.

Fionat29 said:
I bought 2 poached egg pouches from sainsburys. They're made from silicon and you just use a bit of spray light, crack the egg into it, boil some water in a pan put the pouch in, it works better if you put a lid on. Hey presto, a few minutes later you can lift the pouch out with your fingers (because it's silicon it doesn't get hot) and tip your egg out. I think they also sell them in Lakeland, but a bit dearer.

I have them too, they're great. I can't poach eggs the other way!

Cheated and bought myself a microwavable egg poacher, dead easy and so quick. Only problem is no runny yolks.. which I love :)

I totally agree with Stoo, they separate if you drop them in too high up and too quickly or if the water isn't hot enough... I used to have poached eggs made for me everyday by a chef and thats how he did them, I do mine and hubbys exactly the same way and they're always perfect!

If the water goes scummy or frothy it usually means the heat is too high. I turn the water down to 1.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

If you get a small glass and put the egg in then top up with a bit of water (probably a cm or so) then stick in the microwave for a minute then it poaches fine. Its a bit hit and miss with how much water/how long but it does work!

Or line a ramekin/small cup with microwaveable cling film, break in the egg tie the top of the cling film over the egg and drop into the pan, leave for 2-3 mins remove with slotted spoon blot with kitchen paper and remove the cling film!

this it the foolproof way i make my poached eggs almost every day. sandwhich bag/clingfilm in a cup, spay lightly with frylight, crack egg in, plop it in the water - sorted

I love Poached egg but can never get them right after 2 sets of pans and microwave sets I've just discovered silicone egg poachers they were from Morrisons for about £4 and if u boil the water 1st then put them in the silicone shapes drop them in the water and put the lid on the saucepan after 4 or 5 mins check them and I've had semi runny eggs everytime since I'm just gutted I have only just found these.

Poached eggs are my fave. Boil water on hobo with vinegar in. Once boiling crack eggs into water. Leave boiling for 20 seconds then turn heat off but leave eggs in for two minutes for medium eggs. Remove with slotted spoon. Jobs a goodun.

Poach Pods from Lakeland...foolproof and them turn out fab everytime. Just put egg into the silicone pod then out the pod into pan of boiling water and few minutes later, Hey Presto! :)

www.lakeland.co.uk
should be on there somewhere....

Back