Poppet's Next Attempt!

French more than accepted! You're right, 35 is an amazing innings! I can only imagine how sad it is. You're braver than me though, I don't think I could take on horses in that situation. It's funny, when I was working on yards, there was a real move away from bute, but it seems to be back in favour with vets again. Have you tried any herbal remedies? I've read that Devil's Claw can be good. There's also a product called Pegasus Fleximover, which was really popular on a lot of the show jumping yards in Germany.

It is hard, but it is also rewarding to give a nice end-of-life too which I think softens the blow at least a little.
We tried all sorts in the beginning as we were reluctant to go on the bute! It has all sorts of implications on what we can do with the poor guy once he's gone, but he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has without it. Garlic granules worked to an extent for a while but the other potions and concoctions we tried weren't quite up to it- going back a while now but I definitely remember a joint supplement, could well have been the pegasus as our feed supplier stocks it. He still loves to roll but watching him get up again is painful!
We'll see what the score is on Monday and take it from there I think.
Yesterday was bad. It wasn't a very pleasant day anyway and totally off plan- out of my hands but still annoying. I refused pudding though so that's a mini win!

Feeling it with you poppet, 35 is a spanking innings and as you said, you've given the old boy some good years. Sounds like you've done everything possible. Bute is a funny ol thing, we all try and not use it but there are times you just know you've got give them some relief. We've inherited my in laws Welsh ponies, our kids rode them years ago they are now just pets, the mum is a laminitic so we've kept her on a frugal diet all summer and she's moving really well, the through the winter it's the old favourite of turmeric, black pepper, garlic and olive oil in the feed. I fancy it when I mix it up! When she was really poorly we put her on bute. About a year ago when I went into the field and I could just make out her outline on the floor , she didn't move and I was shaking her food bowl. Gut wrenching feeling, thought that was it. Managed to get her up and she's doing ok, but the reality is she is pushing on.

Will be thinking of.

Last edited:
Thanks @Quins I'm glad to hear your pony is doing well, it's brill that the mixture works! I had a Welsh mountain pony as a child and I adored him. I've read about the effects of garlic and turmeric for people, it's amazing they can have so many benefits.
It's frightening when they're down, being so big it's not like you can do anything to help. It happened to us earlier in the year, we thought that would be the end, but he's had a nice summer. Tomorrow is looming over me but I'm trying to busy myself.
Hoping for a maintain tomorrow but preparing for a small gain. Things just haven't gone as I wanted them to this week, but such is life!
Will do my best today to have lots of speed and minimal syns. Haven't got much if any 'naughty' food in so I have some control in that respect! Need to think of something for tea- maybe chilli & rice. Porridge for breakfast with a banana, and lunch will feature lots of grapes as I have them in. Will pick some apples off the tree too.
Hope the weather brightens, I've got loads of washing to do :-(
Have a good day all! X

WI this morning and I managed a tiny loss. Scales were hovering between 1/4 and 1/2 a lb so I opted for the 1/4.
Hopefully I can do better this week and manage more days on plan than off!
Trying to empty the freezer as it needs defrosting so there might be some strange meals. We've got one portion of mince left so I'll probably do that tonight (had meat free burgers last night instead).
Then it's figuring out what I can do with various portions of lamb (left from when we bought half a lamb) and umpteen bags of frozen veg! I'm thinking casseroles. Maybe a lamb tagine/curry and roast dinners..

OK, new week. Not a brilliant day but I've still counted syns and will try and make up for it! We didn't ask the vet to come today; have upped dosage to the maximum recommended and will see how he fares over the next few days. Just getting a bit anxious as he's going to need a rug on tomorrow and with all the laying down he was doing we worried he might get tangled up, but he seems to be on his feet more with increased dose..
B: Shreddies & milk
L: Sandwich with 1 slice of bread (4), half a punnet of grapes and an apple
T: Beef chilli & sw chips. (1) for gravy granules (used four syns worth but portioned it out).
Malteser McFlurry (20 :eek:) I blame OH!
Total: 25

So I need to be a bit lower over the next few days but it's doable. Got tomorrows food planned out and it's pretty much syn-free so should be ok!

Me too @Quins I'd have struggled yesterday if we'd had to make the call. Think we will just have to take each day as it comes and and see how he gets on- bound to be harder when the weather drops cooler and obviously this amount of bute is in no way sustainable but it is making him comfortable for now (I think).
I'm a bit cross with myself for yesterdays syn blowout but I plan to pull it back today which means 5 syns for the day. I think it will look like this:
L: Grapes, apple, fat free yoghurt & rice cakes (3)
T: Jacket potato with leftover chilli (2- gravy granules & JP)
Right, I can do this!

Yesterday went exactly to plan (yay!) so I'm back to full 15 syn allowance.
Payday today so I'm planning to defrost the freezer and fill it up with nice sw food after a shop. OH has added some things to the list which aren't ideal but like last night, it wasn't much faff to have different meals, so I think that will be a good way forward.
I got a decent amount of work done yesterday and have just a bit of unscrambling to do before I can send off a full draft to supervisors, so I hope to do this today.
Lovely sunny morning despite the frost and our old horse is fine and dandy. Would like to rug him up but tempted to hold off til after bonfire night. He's not overly bothered by fireworks but does like to move away from them when possible.. I worry about him getting tangled up :rolleyes:

Well, I managed to do some work today but didn't defrost the freezer before big shop :oops: never mind.
Got lots of nice food in and vaguely planned some meals, now I just need to stick with it! This week is shaping up quite well so far though.
Today I went back to extra easy:
L: mug shot (wasn't very hungry and needed to shop) last of the grapes
T: Chicken tikka with rice and sauteed onions and mushrooms. Lovely! Had a tbsp garlic dip too (3)
My friend brought me a cupcake last night so I'm hoping it's not more than 12 syns worth- I can't imagine it. So I'll have that later.
Tomorrow I aim to eat more fruit & veg, now I actually have some in the house!
Also discovered that the rice cakes I had been merrily snacking on were not 1 syn each (wishful thinking, moi?!) but are indeed closer to 3 each whoops! Didn't buy any more as they're not worth that much.

Hmm, my aim to eat more fruit and veg hasn't quite gone to plan, but here is today's menu:
B: banana porridge
L: Quorn sausage and egg sandwich (8- extra hex and butter). I wanted to add mushrooms but forgot to buy any!
T: Steak and SW chips (recently discovered par-boiling them makes a BIG difference). Will have it with peppercorn sauce (2), grilled tomatoes and sauteed onions.
Going to pop some grapes in the freezer to have with Apprentice tonight.
It's cold today! Sat at laptop looking ridiculous in a hat and scarf but I feel like I need it!

I did actually! I managed to finish(!) the first draft of my literature review. I've sent it for feedback, and it actually looked like a PhD chapter, or thereabouts. Sure it'll need some tweaking but it can't be far off. It's also given me some direction for my discussion, which is good as I've been getting anxious about that.
I made the executive decision to have the day off Uni stuff today. I've been shopping and bought new jeans (I really needed some!) and tried to get some boots but nothing was quite right, the search continues.
I'm not going to spend the afternoon cleaning my house, we have visitors tomorrow and it hasn't been done properly for a little while!

I have actually logged onto my laptop and found you instead of going on my mobile phone!
Much easier!! Yay!!

Ruth
x

Hello Ruth! Nice to have you here :)
And yes T_T I couldn't agree more- the pressure feels like it's very gradually starting to lift as things come together. It must have been a good day; my writing was more coherent and I could see the errors myself- the last few months my supervisors have had to point them out.
Oh dear, well I had my first proper slip up last night :oops: I had two glasses of wine and mum ordered us Chinese. It was tasty at the time but I have serious food regret this morning.
Back on the wagon today and just going to try to up fruit & veg, drink lots of water and run around a bit with the kids at work!
OH is trying to persuade me to have a pizza hut tonight. I'm trying to think of something I can make at home that will tempt him more but seriously struggling- will rack my brains today!

Hello Ruth! Nice to have you here :)
And yes T_T I couldn't agree more- the pressure feels like it's very gradually starting to lift as things come together. It must have been a good day; my writing was more coherent and I could see the errors myself- the last few months my supervisors have had to point them out.
Oh dear, well I had my first proper slip up last night :oops: I had two glasses of wine and mum ordered us Chinese. It was tasty at the time but I have serious food regret this morning.
Back on the wagon today and just going to try to up fruit & veg, drink lots of water and run around a bit with the kids at work!
OH is trying to persuade me to have a pizza hut tonight. I'm trying to think of something I can make at home that will tempt him more but seriously struggling- will rack my brains today!

Don't worry about the Chinese and wine- flexi Syn and draw a line! As long as you enjoyed it and you had a nice time with your mum that's what matters. It's all about fitting it around your life :) naughty OH :1461:is there any salad or healthier alternatives for Pizza Hut? I haven't really eaten there before! I just remember that the restaurant that used to be in Harrogate had a salad bar and other options except Pizza! You will be fine today, sounds like you're really focused :)

Ruth
X

Thanks Ruth! That's what I needed to hear. Unfortunately it would be takeaway as we need to be around for the animals with the fireworks tonight; I'm going to propose homemade pizzas instead (which he loves but I rarely make as it's a faff!) as then I can have a mini one with lots of veg, and salad on the side.
Holding off breakfast as long as I can so I don't get too hungry at work, but today will likely be green and look like this:
B: banana porridge
L: Snacks at work, will go for chopped apples, grapes and maybe a piece of bread with jam on. Going to call at the shop on the way and see if they have any fruit pots minus melon!
T: Homemade pizzas using hexa of mozzarella, roasted peppers and onions, tomatoes and salad on the side.
Will check fakeaway book for pizza syns but hopefully it will be around 10.

Hi Poppett, your doing good, a small loss is better than a small gain. I was at another do last night with Aussies, they laid on pies and beer..think that'll be my flexi syns for the week. Still in Target range so all good.

Glad the old boy is doing well. Homemade pizzas sounds fab.

Mrs Q at work, D1 taken spaniel out working locally, I've got shed loads of leaves to clear and.......poo! Giving the bike a break this weekend, especially as I've had "face ache"

Back