Portion sizes

Anna17

Hey everyone,

I would be grateful if you could advise me what is a normal portion size for cooked rice, potatoes and pasta per person. I think I am over doing it in that area. Any ideas on handy lunches would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Anna

I think it’s around 75g or 3 oz for pasta and rice, as for potatoes , I use a single medium to large potato for jacket or 1 portion of chips. I know they’re free foods but I still stick to the same portion size for these.

I think it’s around 75g or 3 oz for pasta and rice, as for potatoes , I use a single medium to large potato for jacket or 1 portion of chips. I know they’re free foods but I still stick to the same portion size for these.

Sensible with the free food. Because it says free food it doesn't really mean you can eat as much as you want. After all it still has calories..:)

As far as I understand it, free foods are used for their filling power, so you fill up on those before eating other food groups. The healthy extras are allowed for the calcium and fibre content and protein is encouraged because it also has filling power

I guess I just have to eat more veg I am filling up too much on potatoes and pasta it's just that I have a big appetite and can't seem to be satisfied !

The dietician I see says a palm sized portion of protein, a fist sized portion of carbs, and the rest of the plate should be vegeables.

Hi Anna, I personally never really bothered about portion sizes but always followed the rule that 1/3 (or more) of my meals is speed food if possible. I love my food and still eat big portions. If someone would have told me at the beginning of my SW journey that I have to reduce my portion size I think I would not have been successful. Though, I admit, my journey took a lot longer then others. But it was (and still is) MY journey. Even our consultant always speaks about the huge portions she is eating :rolleyes:

I think if you want bigger losses then yes, portion size is a definately a good thing. If you are happy with smaller losses (and I know some people would find this frustrating), the weight will come off if you stick to the plan, without portion control.

Just as an example, I use anywhere between 85 g - 125 g dried pasta (sometimes even more if I am feeling really hungry :eek:) depending what I have with my pasta. And I eat potatoes dependending on how hungry I am. However, not everybody would lose weight eating that amount of carbs. I suggest that you try for yourself and eperiment. If it works for you and you are happy with (maybe smaller) weekly losses, great. If not, you might need to reduce portion sizes. Whatever works for you, good luck on your journey :)

Hi Anna, I personally never really bothered about portion sizes but always followed the rule that 1/3 (or more) of my meals is speed food if possible. I love my food and still eat big portions. If someone would have told me at the beginning of my SW journey that I have to reduce my portion size I think I would not have been successful. Though, I admit, my journey took a lot longer then others. But it was (and still is) MY journey. Even our consultant always speaks about the huge portions she is eating :rolleyes:

I think if you want bigger losses then yes, portion size is a definately a good thing. If you are happy with smaller losses (and I know some people would find this frustrating), the weight will come off if you stick to the plan, without portion control.

Just as an example, I use anywhere between 85 g - 125 g dried pasta (sometimes even more if I am feeling really hungry :eek:) depending what I have with my pasta. And I eat potatoes dependending on how hungry I am. However, not everybody would lose weight eating that amount of carbs. I suggest that you try for yourself and eperiment. If it works for you and you are happy with (maybe smaller) weekly losses, great. If not, you might need to reduce portion sizes. Whatever works for you, good luck on your journey :)

Back