Possibly too much info .. toilet habits

This has just made me laugh sooo much, me and my mates at class were chatting about this last week and it seems the diet has completly opposite affects of bodily functions some of use cant keep it in while others can't get it out!!

I had this problem last week and it made me feel quite ill. In fact, it was after the 12 speed soup, surprisingly. Even scan bran didn't get things moving. After two days of it I had some prunes and really upped my water and was much better the next morning. Strange, seeing as I'm having more fibre than ever on SW.

Thanks. Just ordered some strawberry & mango as I always fancied trying that :D

Lol I think I'm asking for trouble!! Just eating all bran with a cup of peppermint tea!!!

Hahaha remember to stock up on plenty of loo roll. Asda have 16 rolls of Andrex for a fiver at the mo lol :eek:

"Some people find that excessive wind, bloating and even constipation can occur if they suddenly start to eat a lot more fibre, so to prevent this it’s important to introduce fibre-rich foods gradually. This gives your body a chance to get used to them and adapt accordingly. Dietary fibre acts a bit like a sponge in the gut and absorbs water to increase the bulk and softness of the stools, helping to ensure they’re eliminated easily from the body. Therefore, as you increase your intake of fibre, it’s also important to increase your fluid intake. If you don’t drink enough, then constipation may result."

I found the above useful for explaining the need for increasing fluid intake at the same time as increasing fibre.
It also says about increasing fibre intake gradually to allow the body to get used to it. I suppose that would explain why lots of people experence 'problems' when they launch into their new healthy eating plans, often doubling, or even tripling, the amount of fibre they consume on a daily basis.

I have an annoucement ..... Birth section of The Times lol, a baby named Senokot! Lets see if this week is any better! I have had a black coffee and a peppermint tea this morning but have a really sore throat so off my food a bit - need to force myself to eat though. Happy feasting one and all

People of the UK and beyond, stop what you are doing, put down the marigolds, put on your best lippy and let us say a huge congratulations to Giraffegirl and the birth of her long-awaited sh*t AKA Senokot!!!!! Long may you have several other "births" this week!! :D

People of the UK and beyond, stop what you are doing, put down the marigolds, put on your best lippy and let us say a huge congratulations to Giraffegirl and the birth of her long-awaited sh*t AKA Senokot!!!!! Long may you have several other "births" this week!! :D
Lol - I laughed so much then i almost had a little accident! Yay!!!

"Some people find that excessive wind, bloating and even constipation can occur if they suddenly start to eat a lot more fibre, so to prevent this it’s important to introduce fibre-rich foods gradually. This gives your body a chance to get used to them and adapt accordingly. Dietary fibre acts a bit like a sponge in the gut and absorbs water to increase the bulk and softness of the stools, helping to ensure they’re eliminated easily from the body. Therefore, as you increase your intake of fibre, it’s also important to increase your fluid intake. If you don’t drink enough, then constipation may result."

Thanks for this advice Lucky7!!
Really need to up my fluid intake..I've been feeling so bloated & windy this week,the 3rd week of SW,plus it's my star week,so things going on that i could do without,and things not going on that I could do with going on!! :eek:

I seem to the complete opposite tbf.
Before I started I was always constipated, but since I started I cant keep of the toilet lol.
But that may stop as I am only on my first week and could just be my body adapting.

I know this is in response to a week old post, but I have to do it... pork does not "stay in your body for years". That's nonsense. It gets digested (in about 4.5hours max in the stomach) and egested within 72hours, just like EVERY other piece of food.

I asked my mum about that and she said she exaggerated because I ate so much of it ad a child! Hahaha
Obviously didn't work but it did stick in my head!
I have looked it up though and it is harder for your body to digest than most other things.

Ladies and gents, any one else having an issue with constipation on SW? Sorry to be so blunt!

Hey giraffegirl,

I had exactly the same problem when I first started and find that having an alpen light and a piece of fruit before bed makes me go by the next morning plus drinking lots of water helps too. Everyone is different so you just have to try a few different suggestions on here before finding one that suits your body.

Been doing SW for months and it doesn't get any better. I can be my old normal self (once a day) then for no reason I'll be stuffed up for 4 days straight and no amount of senekot will help! My diet is very repetitive so I know it's not that I eat anything different - it's just SW. Seems odd I can feel better when I eat rubbish than when I eat healthy. My cousin came off SW as her doctor told her to to see if it got better and it did. The mysteries of the human body and why we all react differently!

I seem to be slightly more normal now but have really upped my water intake and it seems to be doing the trick - healthy food doesn't always seem to offer healthy effects!!

Back