+*+* POST your food pics for meal ideas +*+*+*

Spicy chicken wings!

6334836121_358e7d79d8.jpg

Thai prawn jungle curry

6335595306_31ece601db.jpg

Succotash with pan fried salmon

6332255229_e28b8e4867.jpg

Yep just take a bunch of skinned chicken wings and prepare a rub for them. I used 1t each of smoked paprika, salt, pepper, 1/2t each of all purpose seasoning, chilli powder, garlic granules, thyme and onion salt and 1/2T brown sugar. Mix well and roast at 200C for 30 minutes. 1.5 syns for the whole thing!

I also made a cooling yogurt mustard dip to go with it. Mix 1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt (negligible syns) with a heaped tsp wholegrain mustard, 1/2T lemon juice, 1T light mayonnaise (2 syns). Add a splash of water if too thick.

The whole recipe serves 2 so it comes to roughly 2 syns per portion.

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon

:D

Yep just take a bunch of skinned chicken wings and prepare a rub for them. I used 1t each of smoked paprika, salt, pepper, 1/2t each of all purpose seasoning, chilli powder, garlic granules, thyme and onion salt and 1/2T brown sugar. Mix well and roast at 200C for 30 minutes. 1.5 syns for the whole thing!

I also made a cooling yogurt mustard dip to go with it. Mix 1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt (negligible syns) with a heaped tsp wholegrain mustard, 1/2T lemon juice, 1T light mayonnaise (2 syns). Add a splash of water if too thick.

The whole recipe serves 2 so it comes to roughly 2 syns per portion.

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon

:D

oo thanks for this .. this is defo a weekend treaty tea.. i shall be making this over the next weeks !!

Aw thanks Kieragh1515, no I'm not a photograper, not even close lol. I have a nice camera that makes everything look amazing :D

Discovered something new today, quinoa porridge!! Saw a recipe for quinoa the other day and it turns out quinoa is extremely versatile! Who knew?!! Very delicious too, I love the texture and like couscous, kinda bland until you add whatever flavourings you want. You can make salads out of it and basically use it instead of rice or couscous. It's really popular among vegeterians and vegans because it's a complete protein apparently. As a "porridge" it's a lot like steel cut oats! Very exciting discovery!

To cook just measure water to quinoa 2:1, bring to the boil and then simmer until water is absorbed (about 20 mins). I did 1 cup quinoa:2 cups water, I had a third and it was a little too much. So I think you can feed 4 from it.

I had mine with an activia vanilla yogurt stirred in, fresh figs and honey. Tasted great and FREE! Great if you want to save your HEXs for a sandwich at lunch :D

6338524902_53e83de306.jpg

Yesterdays Dinner..................

Pete’s Meatballs in Tomato Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients

Knorr Herb stock pot
1 tsp dried oregano
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
6 rashers of smoked bacon, cut into strips
225g mushrooms, sliced
200mL passata
400mL chopped tomatoes
2Tbsp tomato puree (1syn)
1Tbsp sweetener
2 Sainsbury’s low fat Cumberland sausages per person (0.5 syn per sausage)

Method

Remove the skin from the sausage and make 3 meatballs from each sausage by rolling into balls.
Fry in a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light until browned, remove from the pan and set aside.

Add Fry Light to an oven-proof pan and cook the bacon until crisp, add the celery, carrot, peppers, onion & garlic, cook until soft. Return the meatballs to the pan.

Add the tomatoes, oregano and passata, place the stock pot contents on top of the ingredients, cover with a lid, bring to the boil, add sweetener, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 mins, add puree.
Add the mushrooms and simmer for 10 mins, serve with pasta .

MeatballsinTomatoSauceSmall.jpg

Aw thanks Kieragh1515, no I'm not a photograper, not even close lol. I have a nice camera that makes everything look amazing :D

Discovered something new today, quinoa porridge!! Saw a recipe for quinoa the other day and it turns out quinoa is extremely versatile! Who knew?!! Very delicious too, I love the texture and like couscous, kinda bland until you add whatever flavourings you want. You can make salads out of it and basically use it instead of rice or couscous. It's really popular among vegeterians and vegans because it's a complete protein apparently. As a "porridge" it's a lot like steel cut oats! Very exciting discovery!

To cook just measure water to quinoa 2:1, bring to the boil and then simmer until water is absorbed (about 20 mins). I did 1 cup quinoa:2 cups water, I had a third and it was a little too much. So I think you can feed 4 from it.

I had mine with an activia vanilla yogurt stirred in, fresh figs and honey. Tasted great and FREE! Great if you want to save your HEXs for a sandwich at lunch :D

6338524902_53e83de306.jpg

oo i like the look of that..what a good idea..

Honeyoc said:

That's goin on my shopping list ASAP!!

I think it's a bit more than ur camera, ur food is always so vibrant, wouldn't look out of place on cover of a sw mag!! U should submit them & ur recipes to them x

Dinner tonight, quinoa with roasted vegetables and pan fried sea bass! I used asparagus, squash, red pepper, romanesco cauliflower, red onion and beetroot!

6341683874_38bdb6bbf9.jpg

Possibly Syn free ice-cream?

Made this yesterday, can anyone tell me if it's syn free? I believe it is!

Pete’s Banana Ice-Cream
Ingredients
Ripe bananas 1 per person
Milk from your daily allowance
*optional
*Strawberries
*Raspberries
*11g Options chocolate
1-2tbsp sweetener
1tsp vanilla essence

Method

Slice the ripe bananas into 8-10mm slices and place in a freezer-proof sealable tub and freeze for at least 4hrs preferable for 24 hours.

Remove from the freezer, using a hand blender, pulse the mixture to break up the ice crystals until the lumps turn to a smooth constituency, add the vanilla essence, add sweetener as required, depending on how ripe the bananas are. Add a small amount of milk to help it turn into a smooth mix. Return to the freezer for 1hour, repeat the above action until the mix has frozen and looks & feels like ice cream.
Mine was removed and mixed at least 4 times. But I couldn’t wait and this picture was taken after 3 mixes! Still soft! Fruit was a defrosted bag of autumn fruits from the supermarket.

Add any fruit for flavouring or add option packet of Belgium chocolate.
BananaIceCreamSmall.jpg

Thanks Britmum! I knew it would be right up your alley :D

you know me well ;)

I have been craving mackerel ever since I saw your dish a little while back. But for some reason I havent been able to find mackerel anywhere here. My mum used to cook fresh mackerel in a frying pan with some vinegar (not sure what else, must ask her), but it was delicious. I used to love it as a child, which is unusual, as a lot of young children dislike fishy fish haha.

Possibly Syn free ice-cream?

Made this yesterday, can anyone tell me if it's syn free? I believe it is!

Pete’s Banana Ice-Cream
Ingredients
Ripe bananas 1 per person
Milk from your daily allowance
*optional
*Strawberries
*Raspberries
*11g Options chocolate
1-2tbsp sweetener
1tsp vanilla essence

Method

Slice the ripe bananas into 8-10mm slices and place in a freezer-proof sealable tub and freeze for at least 4hrs preferable for 24 hours.

Remove from the freezer, using a hand blender, pulse the mixture to break up the ice crystals until the lumps turn to a smooth constituency, add the vanilla essence, add sweetener as required, depending on how ripe the bananas are. Add a small amount of milk to help it turn into a smooth mix. Return to the freezer for 1hour, repeat the above action until the mix has frozen and looks & feels like ice cream.
Mine was removed and mixed at least 4 times. But I couldn’t wait and this picture was taken after 3 mixes! Still soft! Fruit was a defrosted bag of autumn fruits from the supermarket.

Add any fruit for flavouring or add option packet of Belgium chocolate.
BananaIceCreamSmall.jpg

If sticking to the plan 100%, you ideally should syn the bananas, because they are blended. All fruit unless in it's raw form become syns. It is 4 syns PER medium banana, cooked/mashed/pureed/blended. However if you are having just the one banana and you find it doesnt affect your losses, then it isnt too much of a problem, you just know the first thing to look at, if you discovered weight isnt coming off.

The cooked/pureed/blended/mashed fruit being syns rule, is to restrict the amount you can eat. For instance to eat an apple, would take several minutes, but cook it down, it becomes less and all the work used to eat the raw apple, is taken away. The same applies to all other fruits. Just think how much fruit goes into a tiny glass of smoothie, and how quickly that smoothie is drunk, then think how long it would of taken to eat all that fruit in it's raw form.

Jo* said:
Hi Honey regarding the quinoa with roasted vegetables and pan fried sea bass, do you use any stock for flavouring the quinoa please?

Hi Jo! I didn't because when I made the batch of quinoa I wanted to use it for sweet and savoury dishes. When I reheated it for the vegetables I added a pinch of powdered stock, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest. If you're cooking the quinoa specifically for this dish then definitely cook it in stock!

Here is the Tuna & Taggiatelli recipe.................

Pete’s Tuna & Taggiatelli

Serves 2
Ingredients
Small tin of tuna in spring water, drained
175g taggiatelli pasta
2 eggs medium or large size
100g Kraft Extra Light Philadelphia (1 Heb)
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried basil

Method

Boil a pan of salted water, when boiling add the taggiatelli and cook for 8-10 until “al dente”, when cooked, tip into a sieve and drain, put to one side.

Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them together with the tuna, add the Philadelphia, spices & season and mix to a smooth constituency.

Return the spaghetti to the saucepan, add the contents from the bowl and stir gently over a low heat until the eggs have set.

TunaTaggiatelliSmall.jpg

Back