+*+* POST your food pics for meal ideas +*+*+*

hey thats a good idea growing your own herbs i usually use the dried version.are they quite easy to grow?must give this a go .any tips?

Surprisingly very easy. I have four growing on my windowsill now, they love a lot of water but they are growing really well. I have a very bright windowsill and this seems to suit them quite well. So far I have Coriander, Parsley, Basil and Chives on there and plan on growing thyme in the garden and a few other's, like mint, which I have been told to keep in a pot as it goes a bit nuts lol, for when the weather warms up.

I bought my herbs from Asda for around 70p ish. Which is well worth it as I have used them several times already.

I have thought about buying one of those little plastic greenhouses for keeping my less robust herbs in. Using fresh does make a massive difference to the flavour I have to say. I was a form believer in being lazy and using dry lol

mmmm that looks lovely Honeyoc. I absolutely love artichokes. Must get a couple next time I pop to the local produce store, as they dont seem to have them at the supermarket.

I love the leaves, and then scoop out the heart, yummy!!! lol

Oh yeah I love the leaves too and just pluck em out and suck yum! What I used in my pasta were jerusalem artichokes though. The knobbly ones that look like potatoes. I just boiled with 1 large clove of garlic in some stock, drained half the water and blitzed and then mixed with some cooked pasta, added sauteed red pepper and onions, mixed well and sprinkle with parmesan. The blended artichokes made it creamy and I added 2 tbsp light evaporated milk (1.5 syns) to make it even creamier! It was so filling I didn't quite manage the whole thing, it defeated me! LOL! My SW take on mac & cheese and the whole meal contained all five of my 5 a day :D

Last edited:
mmmm sounds lovely.

When I have artichokes, I boil them in a large saucepan with some slices of lemon and garlic cloves. Then I mix extra light mayo with balsamic vinegar and dip the leaves in and suck the flesh out, until you get down to the heart, which I then scoop out with a spoon. Is a nice filling meal all on it's own. ;)

I like artichokes but have never had a fresh one. I'm too scared of what to do with it all! I should YouTube it - I'm sure there's an instructional video on there somewhere!!

Surprisingly very easy. I have four growing on my windowsill now, they love a lot of water but they are growing really well. I have a very bright windowsill and this seems to suit them quite well. So far I have Coriander, Parsley, Basil and Chives on there and plan on growing thyme in the garden and a few other's, like mint, which I have been told to keep in a pot as it goes a bit nuts lol, for when the weather warms up.

I bought my herbs from Asda for around 70p ish. Which is well worth it as I have used them several times already.

I have thought about buying one of those little plastic greenhouses for keeping my less robust herbs in. Using fresh does make a massive difference to the flavour I have to say. I was a form believer in being lazy and using dry lol
thank you will defo give it a go.sounds daft but do they keep growing dont have a sell by date do they?

Dinner tonight was a prawn masala! Soooo delicious! DH said it was the best curry he's ever had; and he's a real foody so yay!!

71dd800e.jpg

Had to take a close up :D
65fc25da.jpg

my tea last night,leek and potato bake topped with bacon ,bbq chicken(a little burnt ahem)and beans.all free on ee

ta518j.jpg

Looks nice hun but just remember on EE that you have to have 1/3 of your plate filled with superfree foods in order for it to work properly! x

Dinner tonight was a prawn masala! Soooo delicious! DH said it was the best curry he's ever had; and he's a real foody so yay!!

71dd800e.jpg

Had to take a close up :D
65fc25da.jpg

This looks lovely and mouth watering!!! Could you share the recipe? Did you have it with rice?

You can count leeks towards your 1/3 superfree but not beans as they're only free on a green day. Superfree foods are only veg and fruit which are free on both green & red days and come from the list in your book. Confusing, I know!!! x

Hey guys!! Yes I had the masala with rice, okay here's the recipe. It is a whopping 1/2 syn for the WHOLE recipe!! :D

INGREDIENTS
500g king prawns
1 heaped teaspoon curry powder
1 scant teaspoon seafood seasoning
5 tomatoes
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
Small knob ginger
7 birds eye chillies (or to taste)
2 medium carrots, chopped in big chunks
1 red pepper, chopped in big chunks
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
Pot of 0% greek yogurt or 150g of any plain fat free yogurt
Salt & pepper
1 fish stock cube
1 packet kitchen guru spice mix Ocado: Kitchen Guru Chicken Jalfrezi (Product Information)

METHOD
Peel, devein and wash the prawns. Season with seafood seasoning and curry powder and set aside.

In a food processor chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies until fine. Set aside. Then finely chop the tomatoes in the food processor and set aside.

Heat some frylight and sautee the onions garlic ginger mix until softened and translucent but not coloured. Season with salt and pepper and add all the spices. Add a splash of water so it doesn't burn. Add peppers and carrots. Stir well.

Add tomatoes, fish stock cube and a bit of water (about 300ml), cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly. After 30 minutes the sauce should have reduced by half, add the prawns and stir well, simmer for 5 minutes then add tamarind paste. Throw in coriander and stir. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in yogurt and serve on rice and steamed veggies!

Dinner tonight was a simple affair. Steamed lemon sole and mixed vegetables with honey roast carrots. Still tasty though, nice and light for WI tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

83458d75.jpg

Back