+*+* POST your food pics for meal ideas +*+*+*

Finely cleared the freezer of "banned food"
Chicken nuggets, peas, onion & rice...................(5.5 syns!)

Chicken Nuggets & Rice (Small).JPG

I think it might well be Dragon fruit lollypop

Butternut Squash Revisited (Small).JPG

Today's dinner, Butternut Squash Curry.............

On Red day instead if counting syns for rice use cauliflower instead. Grate cauliflower (or chop in food processor) then steam it. I have read that others microwave it but I always steam it. To be honest you get used to it as "rice" and as it is my favourite vegetable I love it like this.
If you are short of syns on Red day you can also use cauliflower as "potatoes" - cook as usual then blend it with a little milk and a little Philly cheese - or similar - if you have HEX A left that day.

This is also yummy if you add cumin seeds and fresh coriander - gives it a nice Indian flavor.

I think I'm going to have to try the cauliflower as rice, thing, rice bloats me so badly

I think I'm going to have to try the cauliflower as rice, thing, rice bloats me so badly

Just found the old recipe I used to use. It's very nice and really does pass for rice!! The extra spices really lift the flavour of the cauliflower and make it taste a bit more 'indian'.

1 head cauliflower
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
lemon juice

Grate a cauliflower and put into a microwaveable dish with a lid. Add the mustard & cumin seeds and cardomom pods and some salt & pepper. Cover and microwave for 5 mins. Remove cardomom pods and sprinkle with lemon juice.

StaceyUK said:
Just found the old recipe I used to use. It's very nice and really does pass for rice!! The extra spices really lift the flavour of the cauliflower and make it taste a bit more 'indian'.

1 head cauliflower
1 tsp cumin seeds
lemon juice

Grate a cauliflower and put into a microwaveable dish with a lid. Add the mustard & cumin seeds and cardomom pods and some salt & pepper. Cover and microwave for 5 mins. Remove cardomom pods and sprinkle with lemon juice.

Hi Stacey, how are you? I haven't seen you for aaages! Hope you've been well! The cauliflower dish looks fascinating- I'm going to give it a whirl! XxX

Hi Stacey, how are you? I haven't seen you for aaages! Hope you've been well! The cauliflower dish looks fascinating- I'm going to give it a whirl! XxX
I'm good, thanks! How are you?? I just had a baby so put on a ton of weight but hoping to be just as successful the second time around on SW!

Keema Curry and Cauli 'Rice'

All the talk of cauli rice made me want to make this old faithful recipe that I used to love (I found it on here a few years back but can't remember who the OP was). I like mine topped with fresh coriander, lemon juice, fat free nat yogurt, and a teaspoon of lime pickle (syn accordingly).

Keema CurryDSCN0364.jpgDSCN0363.jpg
3 syns for the whole dish!

450g lean minced lamb (this should be synned however, I drain all the fat AND rinse it after browning it. It's up to you if you want to syn it....I tend not to)

1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp Patak tikka masala curry paste (2 syns)

2 tbsp tomato puree (1 syn)
assorted mix veg to your liking (I used mushrooms, yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes)

350ml lamb or chicken stock

1 tbsp lemon juice
large handful of roughly chopped coriander
salt & pepper

Rice

1 head cauliflower

1 tsp cumin seeds

1. Brown the lamb in a large pan without adding any oil. Fry over a medium heat for 5-6 mins until well browned, stirring frequently to break up larger pieces. Remove from the pan and strain into a colander/sieve - set aside.

2. Wipe out the pan and spray with Frylight. When hot, add the onion and cook for 10 mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add a little boiling water if it starts to stick to the pan. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and curry paste and cook for 2 more mins, stirring all the time. Return the meat to the pan, add the tomato puree and vegetables and stir until well mixed.

3. Pour in the stock, stir again, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 45 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5-10 mins or until the meat is very tender and the sauce is thick.

4. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 3 mins. Stir in most of the coriander, reserving a small amount for garnish. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

For the 'rice':

All the talk of cauli rice made me want to make this old faithful recipe that I used to love (I found it on here a few years back but can't remember who the OP was). I like mine topped with fresh coriander, lemon juice, fat free nat yogurt, and a teaspoon of lime pickle (syn accordingly).

Keema CurryView attachment 46100View attachment 46099
3 syns for the whole dish!

450g lean minced lamb (this should be synned however, I drain all the fat AND rinse it after browning it. It's up to you if you want to syn it....I tend not to)

1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp Patak tikka masala curry paste (2 syns)

2 tbsp tomato puree (1 syn)
assorted mix veg to your liking (I used mushrooms, yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes)

350ml lamb or chicken stock

1 tbsp lemon juice
large handful of roughly chopped coriander
salt & pepper

Rice

1 head cauliflower

1 tsp cumin seeds

1. Brown the lamb in a large pan without adding any oil. Fry over a medium heat for 5-6 mins until well browned, stirring frequently to break up larger pieces. Remove from the pan and strain into a colander/sieve - set aside.

2. Wipe out the pan and spray with Frylight. When hot, add the onion and cook for 10 mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add a little boiling water if it starts to stick to the pan. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and curry paste and cook for 2 more mins, stirring all the time. Return the meat to the pan, add the tomato puree and vegetables and stir until well mixed.

3. Pour in the stock, stir again, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 45 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5-10 mins or until the meat is very tender and the sauce is thick.

4. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 3 mins. Stir in most of the coriander, reserving a small amount for garnish. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

For the 'rice':

This sounds & looks lovely - think I will attempt to make this. Not sure if different in Canada than here but Tomato Puree is now free :)

Back