Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: Brands, Feeding, Nursery, Bathing, Everything!

Thanks Sarah the silver-cross sounds good I would have to try it out in the boot of my car as I'm not sure if it would fit . I love the designs of the cossattos they're so cute its just difficult because some of the coloured ones are so lovely but as we're not finding out the gender we'd have to go with a neutral colour
France's I don't know where to start! We're very lucky that our parents are buying the pram for us but having said that I don't want to take the p***s and go for a really expensive one but similarity to you I want something that's going to last at least for a couple of years.
Pushchair is just the beginning aswel ..

Wow thanks Laura and Guinevere, that's so helpful as I wasn't really sure what to do either.

Hubby at the minute is putting lots of pressure on me to breastfeed, and of course I will do my best but I may not get on with it (as some women don't - it's not for everyone) which is why I thought of expressing. If expressing milk is really time consuming, and we have a baby that wants to be fed every 2-3 hours then it sounds like it might be quite difficult. Therefore I'm tempted (if I can) to breastfeed as much as possible, but maybe use Aptimel or C&G formula for the odd feed so I can have a break (and so hubby can bond).

Hmm something for me to think about. I may see how I get on expressing, but I won't put pressure on myself to do it if it's hard work xxx

If you want to try & BF then great hubby is pro it - but should be support, not pressure!

I think, tbh, every newborn wants to be fed 2-3 hourly or if they don't (like mine) there's probably a reason (jaundice sleepiness in her case) & you're advised to wake them up every 3 hours to feed. After my experience I would just say be careful with the 'odd' formula feed if you do want to continue BF because I think it can be a slippery slope that I've had to work really hard not to slip down... in some ways formula seems so 'easy' (i know the downside is all the sterilizing/prep etc.) i.e. someone else can give, you see how much goes in, there's a near instant unlimited supply so you can feed them into milk coma everytime if you want etc. but every FF unless you're disciplined & express at the same time (which sort od counteracts the 'rest') is less stimulation to your body to produce milk so risk your supply starts to decrease as body thinks baby wants less. Then if baby gets fussy/you worry about your supply it's tempting to give more formula to fix it, then a vicious circle...

On the bonding w/ Dads note (or grandparents or anyone else who likes feeding babies!) I personally think that's the worst reason to express/FF if you & hubby do want you to maintain BF because it does put it at risk & there are so many other ways to bond. Initially me & hubby were both awake the whole time she needed things in the night - then it was tag team - he'd wake to change her, pass her to me for feeding while he snoozed... & newborn BFs can go on for an hour, then I'd try & settle her but if not going back to sleep quickly then his turn for cuddles - so plenty of time to bond. He also is in charge of bathtime!

That's not to say I didn't love the rest of going to bed a bit early & letting someone else do a FF so I could get maybe 4-5 hrs uninterrupted sleep - but it has consequences to be born in mind & has made continuing predominately BF a bit of a battle with many tears (that i'm personally bloody minded about & will reach 6 months in 6 weeks! ;) Because it's really important to me - aware it's not to everyone.) because so many times it's felt like 'just another bottle' would be easier when you've crossed a line already.

If BF works (thank you SIL - who has so much milk she was donating it to milk bank for premmie babies! :p) then I think it is a doddle - no prep to do at all! But there is so much conflicting info/bad advice (still a bit cross with hospital going for BF status that they didn't bring me pump while they were recommending FF top ups!) - I think the KellyMom website is good.

Well done for trying pushchairs - I couldn't as too weirdly superstitious :rolleyes:, haha, but ordered online. I think trying out is obviously good & thinking about what you need.
The Tube/Trains are a nightmare - need superlightweight +/- easy 1 handed collapse +/- sling as well.
With hindsight I wondered of hunting for a bargain was a bit of a false economy as I now have 2 - a monster & a 'commuter' type one - whereas perhaps a pricier first would've done both?
Also I got a big carrycot/stroller converter thing - which seemed clever BUT as not firm sided like the detachable carrycot for newborn ones are it's not approved for nighttime/long sleeps - which would've been handy not needing a travel cot when travelling or occasional daytime naps at home - so maybe a false economy for me again.
We have purple for our gender neutral!

So many decisions! :D
If people offer to lend you stuff go for it so you can try out what works for you. (But always new mattress/car seat for safety.)

I've bought a Silvercross linear freeway. It's a pram that turns into a pushchair in literally a couple of clicks with no separate carry cot. And the car seat fits on the frame too. The only thing is it's quite bulky so if you need to take it on buses or don't have a big car boot it might be difficult but I only walk or drive and our boot is plenty big enough. Once baby is about 8 months I'm going for a cosatto pushchair in toffee apple I think :)

Oooh i've been eyeing that one up Sarah....as well as the silvercross sleepover - it looks so comfy! but pricey. So currently battling with whether it would be long term thing to warrant the money. i like the idea of the sleepover so we could take the pram to parents-in-laws and the baby could have somewhere to sleep if we were to stay over or if they wanted to babysit without them having to buy a cot/crib etc. My family is very baby-orientated and most people have baby paraphanalia in their houses as i'm the last one to have a baby. Mike's parents on the other hand - the last baby they had was Mike so have nothing baby related so just trying to think of how we make it easier when visiting and the Silvercross Sleepover looks like it would be a good bed as well as pram.

There is so much to consider - it's a mindfield!

Oooh i've been eyeing that one up Sarah....as well as the silvercross sleepover - it looks so comfy! but pricey. So currently battling with whether it would be long term thing to warrant the money. i like the idea of the sleepover so we could take the pram to parents-in-laws and the baby could have somewhere to sleep if we were to stay over or if they wanted to babysit without them having to buy a cot/crib etc. My family is very baby-orientated and most people have baby paraphanalia in their houses as i'm the last one to have a baby. Mike's parents on the other hand - the last baby they had was Mike so have nothing baby related so just trying to think of how we make it easier when visiting and the Silvercross Sleepover looks like it would be a good bed as well as pram.

There is so much to consider - it's a mindfield!
Had to go and google and as I'd no clue what either was.. Both really nice look and cosy looking prams...
The sleepover is very similar to the mothercare one I was looking at.. mothercare expedia.. https://www.google.ie/search?q=silv...73&dpr=1#q=mothercare+expedia&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Oooh i've been eyeing that one up Sarah....as well as the silvercross sleepover - it looks so comfy! but pricey. So currently battling with whether it would be long term thing to warrant the money. i like the idea of the sleepover so we could take the pram to parents-in-laws and the baby could have somewhere to sleep if we were to stay over or if they wanted to babysit without them having to buy a cot/crib etc. My family is very baby-orientated and most people have baby paraphanalia in their houses as i'm the last one to have a baby. Mike's parents on the other hand - the last baby they had was Mike so have nothing baby related so just trying to think of how we make it easier when visiting and the Silvercross Sleepover looks like it would be a good bed as well as pram. There is so much to consider - it's a mindfield!

We got the Oxford Grey one and both love it. Just can't wait to use it ! The lady in the shop said we could use this one for baby to sleep in if we go anywhere. So at the wedding we will be as baby will only be 6-8 weeks old. Ours was £425 with the car seat because they had discontinued it to being in a (very slightly!) different design so it's now £600. But my dad and step mum bought us it and it's the only pram that we both loved.

Right, I've thought of a question.

We've got a Moses basket to keep in the living room, a crib to have in our bedroom and a cot for baby's room for when it goes in there at 6 months (ish). How many sheets would you buy for each? I have no idea. I don't want just one for wear and one for wash with baby being due in winter so not being able to hang washing out. Plus I don't have a tumble drier. Sheets and blankets are the only things I haven't really got yet.

We've got a Moses basket to keep in the living room, a crib to have in our bedroom and a cot for baby's room for when it goes in there at 6 months (ish). How many sheets would you buy for each? I have no idea. I don't want just one for wear and one for wash with baby being due in winter so not being able to hang washing out. Plus I don't have a tumble drier. Sheets and blankets are the only things I haven't really got yet.

I would imagine 3 r 4 for the moses basket and crib would be plenty??
As many as possible for the cot as you'll have it allot longer but 3 r 4 to start am sure wouldn't be plenty??

I would probably buy a couple for the Cot to start (you aren't going to be using it for 6 months), and agree with frances 3-4 for both the crib and moses basket (you never know when poo, wee or puke is going to get on the sheets). I am going to have to same as you - a crib for the bedroom and a moses basket for the living room, as we are hopefully moving chances are the nursery wont be set up for baby's arrival as i can't order furniture until we move as there is no point buying it and moving it! I figure it wont be sleeping in there as it will be with us in our room so we have plenty of time :)

I would probably buy a couple for the Cot to start (you aren't going to be using it for 6 months), and agree with frances 3-4 for both the crib and moses basket (you never know when poo, wee or puke is going to get on the sheets). I am going to have to same as you - a crib for the bedroom and a moses basket for the living room, as we are hopefully moving chances are the nursery wont be set up for baby's arrival as i can't order furniture until we move as there is no point buying it and moving it! I figure it wont be sleeping in there as it will be with us in our room so we have plenty of time :)

Speaking of moses baskets... and this might sound like a really silly question, but you can use them in your bedroom can't you? lol As I won't be having a crib, just a cot for the nursery when she's 6 months, and a moses basket for our bedroom.

When my sister's babies were asleep during the day (downstairs) they just used to sleep in the bouncer chair with a blanket, so I'll probably do the same to be honest as they always looked so comfortable :) xx

Speaking of moses baskets... and this might sound like a really silly question, but you can use them in your bedroom can't you? lol As I won't be having a crib, just a cot for the nursery when she's 6 months, and a moses basket for our bedroom.

When my sister's babies were asleep during the day (downstairs) they just used to sleep in the bouncer chair with a blanket, so I'll probably do the same to be honest as they always looked so comfortable :) xx

Yes moses baskets can be used in the bedroom - 2 of my friends are using them currently as beds, and i had planned to as well, but my sister said i could have the crib she had for her daughter and it lasted a little longer as Libbie was a wriggler and used to wake herself up hitting the side of the moses basket - the crib was a bit bigger and gave her room to wriggle and throw her arms around.

Oh yes - a chair is a good idea! and they do such lovely ones too! Argh there is too much choice....you could end up buying everything and hardly using anything.

Yes moses baskets can be used in the bedroom - 2 of my friends are using them currently as beds, and i had planned to as well, but my sister said i could have the crib she had for her daughter and it lasted a little longer as Libbie was a wriggler and used to wake herself up hitting the side of the moses basket - the crib was a bit bigger and gave her room to wriggle and throw her arms around.

Oh yes - a chair is a good idea! and they do such lovely ones too! Argh there is too much choice....you could end up buying everything and hardly using anything.

Ohhh ok phew! lol I was just having a bit of a questioning myself moment because you guys are going to have cribs upstairs and the moses basket downstairs lol :) xx

I wreckon we'll have the crib downstairs in the day n bring up to bed when putting LO to bed.. Might get 2 stands to save hawling the whole thing up n down each day..
But I am gona look into the baby bean bag for downstairs.. Does from newborn and carries on til 5 r 6 years as a seat for the baby/child.. They have straps n that for the babies and then you change the top for when its older so its just a normal beanbag chair.. It'll be grand I wreckon for feeding time etc when baby is on solids and for just flaking out in the day when its a newborn.. That way it'll know the difference between day time n bed time.. But I want to physically "see" it before I decide as I've only seen them online.. I wana make sure it's not likely to topple when babies a little older and wriggling about..

I never had a crib or a moses basket, but my house is one story so maybe thats the reason why. Baby went to the cot for naps, always placed at the bottom when they got too big to lay across it. But I did use the wee bouncer for during the day. I started my sleep routines straight away. Both went down to the room at 11ish for midday nap and again at 7p.m for night time. Feeds after that were done in the quiet of the room. My sisters all have 2 story houses though and all their babies had moses baskets

For those who have or are going to (or might) express milk...are you going for a manual pump or electric? I literally have no idea lol xx

For those who have or are going to (or might) express milk...are you going for a manual pump or electric? I literally have no idea lol xx
Electric!! Definitely.. The manual one is meant to be so sore and like milking a cow...

Electric!! Definitely.. The manual one is meant to be so sore and like milking a cow...

Thanks hun :)

Yeah John was like "get a manual...I can imagine it hurting less" ?????????? WTF?! Lol! WTF does he know?! Has he tried a manual breast pump out recently without me knowing?! I swear he just makes it up as he goes along. lol xxx

Thanks hun :)

Yeah John was like "get a manual...I can imagine it hurting less" ?????????? WTF?! Lol! WTF does he know?! Has he tried a manual breast pump out recently without me knowing?! I swear he just makes it up as he goes along. lol xxx

Ha ha.. When you think about it.. It probably sounds like it'd hurt less coz you're doing the work so can go gentle?? Maybe..
But my friend has said she used both (like Laura) and recommends the electric one.. But again as Laura said they both hurt to a degree but the electric, less so...

Back