Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Get tweaking your nipples!!! Apparently that stimulates the same thing as good sex and can help out. Not sure if it's a tried and tested method but It came up a LOT when I was googling. They said to do it for about 5-10 mins a few times a day. I'd have no chance, my nipples constantly hurt, but if yours are ok it's worth a try ;-) xxx

I've heard this one too - they do hurt quite a bit tbh so not sure if it'll work but I'll attempt to go through the pain barrier if it'll kick labour off! I keep hearing stories of women who went into labour the day before their induction date so you never know ;) xxx

Or... Could be TMI but if you have anything "toy" related.... This will do the same job as sex but gets rid of the "unwilling hubby" aspect lol :D ha x can't believe I'm suggesting that, but I am! Xx

Hmmm now that is an idea! ;) Would have wait until he's out though - poor man will get a complex! Mind you it's his bloody fault I'm in this state now so I personally think he should do his duty and help get me out of if lol ;) xxx

Ladies

I was talking to a friend today who's got a five month old and she said after he was born she had to inject herself in the tummy for a week to prevent DVT. My other friend who's a nurse said they do that for people with problems but the first friend said her sister had the same a month later. Anyone heard of this? Susie, is it right? I'm going to the same hospital as my friend and her sister but nobody has ever mentioned it to me?

Ladies I was talking to a friend today who's got a five month old and she said after he was born she had to inject herself in the tummy for a week to prevent DVT. My other friend who's a nurse said they do that for people with problems but the first friend said her sister had the same a month later. Anyone heard of this? Susie, is it right? I'm going to the same hospital as my friend and her sister but nobody has ever mentioned it to me?

Ooer, that sounds a bit scary! Hope it's not a standard thing... I wonder if it's to do with being immobile for any reason? I had a friend who broke her leg skating and she had to do the injections when she was home from hospital while she was non weight-bearing from what I remember?

Ooer, that sounds a bit scary! Hope it's not a standard thing... I wonder if it's to do with being immobile for any reason? I had a friend who broke her leg skating and she had to do the injections when she was home from hospital while she was non weight-bearing from what I remember?

Is she at high risk of DVT. My uncle suffers from
It and my mum is a carrier so she has to wear surgical stockings for flying etc as precaution. Thankfully I'm not! Maybe the injections were because your friend is in the high risk group? I don't think it is standard.

Is she at high risk of DVT. My uncle suffers from It and my mum is a carrier so she has to wear surgical stockings for flying etc as precaution. Thankfully I'm not! Maybe the injections were because your friend is in the high risk group? I don't think it is standard.

I thought that but my nurse friend asked her all those questions and she said no. No history in her family and hers and her sisters pregnancy and labour were completely different. I'm hoping she's got mixed up and there was a reason, I'm bored of injecting myself as it is without having to do it after the birth. Surely they'd tell us if it was standard?

Not a clue but I'm gonna look into it!! Would rather be prepared.

Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: Brands, Feeding, Nursery, Bathing, Everything!

No it's not standard as such, you generally have a week if you had a c-section, loads of bleeding after, immobile for a while etc. your friend may have had a combination of factors, which taken independently mean she didn't need it, but added altogether she did.

It varies from Hosp to Hosp though, where I work have a different way of doing things to where I had Abigail.
If you have a high BMI (usually over 35, but in some places 40), they may advise you to have 6 weeks worth.

Worth bearing in mind ladies (without wanting to worry anyone!) that DVT's and associated problems used to be the biggest cause of maternal deaths in this country until a few years ago (it's now infection), so whilst a week of injections isn't very nice, it may be worth it in the long run! And the decrease is due in part to increased use of injections, but also better awareness. It's also worth saying however that maternal deaths in this country are very rare!

I had 2 weeks worth that hubby did! Think was as I had high bmi

Thanks for the info Susie, its something I never even thought of but it'd make sense if you have risk factors for DVT. Don't fancy injections but then again I don't fancy DVT either! :/

No it's not standard as such, you generally have a week if you had a c-section, loads of bleeding after, immobile for a while etc. your friend may have had a combination of factors, which taken independently mean she didn't need it, but added altogether she did. It varies from Hosp to Hosp though, where I work have a different way of doing things to where I had Abigail. If you have a high BMI (usually over 35, but in some places 40), they may advise you to have 6 weeks worth. Worth bearing in mind ladies (without wanting to worry anyone!) that DVT's and associated problems used to be the biggest cause of maternal deaths in this country until a few years ago (it's now infection), so whilst a week of injections isn't very nice, it may be worth it in the long run! And the decrease is due in part to increased use of injections, but also better awareness. It's also worth saying however that maternal deaths in this country are very rare!

It's definitely worth knowing and I'm all for anything that saves my life. Just was surprised as nobody has mentioned it to me even though I've had all my midwife appointments plus all ten extra consultant appointments. Thanks Susie, as always a fab answer :)

Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: Brands, Feeding, Nursery, Bathing, Everything!

It's not always something they can tell you will need until afterwards. I was low risk all the way thru pregnancy and labour (ish) but then bled after so needed them for a week but they didn't know I would until it happened so no-one discussed it if you see what I mean!
Don't worry about it! Hospitals are really hot on it generally, as are midwives so if they don't think you need it you probably don't! Xx

True as I wasnt told a thing about it, the doctor/midwife explained when discharged me. You'll be fine if you do need anyway. I got Rob to do mine and doesn't evem hurt! X

Looking for some advice!
During the night for the last few nights I've had really sore fingers, it eases almost as soon as I'm up in the morning but at the time It's hard to move them.
I've read it's from swelling and because I'm lying down but I've not noticed any noticeable swelling? Although my wedding ring is difficult to get on and off now so I guess I have some.

Looking for some advice! During the night for the last few nights I've had really sore fingers, it eases almost as soon as I'm up in the morning but at the time It's hard to move them. I've read it's from swelling and because I'm lying down but I've not noticed any noticeable swelling? Although my wedding ring is difficult to get on and off now so I guess I have some.

I've had that for a while now and it's horrible first thing when your hands won't move properly! My hands felt really clumsy when I used to be audio typing all at work and I find that my grip is a bit crap and I drop things a lot. I went to the doctors as I also developed a trigger finger which randomly sticks in one position and won't move unless I force it. Doctor said it was probably pregnancy related carpal tunnel, it's to do with swelling in your wrists that pinches the nerves. In my case the crutches don't help as I'm putting a lot of weight on my hands. You can't necessarily see the swelling but it's there.

I got told to wear night splits but I can't sleep in them so I'm naughty and don't wear them :eek: and also to sleep with my hands raised on a pillow which is really hard to do! Giving my hands a run under warm water and then a good rub with some cream helps a bit to get them warmed up in the morning and knitting when they feel ok seems to be good as it keeps them moving in the day.

I would definitely recommend taking your rings off too - I took mine off about a month back and they won't go on now! My hands have swelled more than my feet which I never expected. xxx

I've had that for a while now and it's horrible first thing when your hands won't move properly! My hands felt really clumsy when I used to be audio typing all at work and I find that my grip is a bit crap and I drop things a lot. I went to the doctors as I also developed a trigger finger which randomly sticks in one position and won't move unless I force it. Doctor said it was probably pregnancy related carpal tunnel, it's to do with swelling in your wrists that pinches the nerves. In my case the crutches don't help as I'm putting a lot of weight on my hands. You can't necessarily see the swelling but it's there. I got told to wear night splits but I can't sleep in them so I'm naughty and don't wear them :eek: and also to sleep with my hands raised on a pillow which is really hard to do! Giving my hands a run under warm water and then a good rub with some cream helps a bit to get them warmed up in the morning and knitting when they feel ok seems to be good as it keeps them moving in the day. I would definitely recommend taking your rings off too - I took mine off about a month back and they won't go on now! My hands have swelled more than my feet which I never expected. xxx

Glad it's not just me then and it's a normal symptom, not one I expected though!!
Thanks for the reply x

Really hope all these symptoms go for you soon after baby coming!!

I had my ring on yesterday and was hard to get on so think I'll leave it off for now until after baby comes.

Just out of interest how many weeks before due date is everyone taking their maternity leave or if your already on mat when did you take it ?
I had originally planned to work up until 4 weeks before due date which would be mid march but now I am beginning to think I should take it earlier ..
We move house in February and with all the stress of moving I'm thinking maybe I should finish a few weeks earlier . We have a week of for half term mid February and I'm toying in whether to say that I won't go back after half term as it would mean travelling further as our new house is an extra 30 mins away from where I work and so I would be leaving the house at 7am every morning and not getting home until 7pm it seems a long shift when I am going to be 7 months pregnant and mid house move!
What are your thoughts??
X

Just out of interest how many weeks before due date is everyone taking their maternity leave or if your already on mat when did you take it ?
I had originally planned to work up until 4 weeks before due date which would be mid march but now I am beginning to think I should take it earlier ..
We move house in February and with all the stress of moving I'm thinking maybe I should finish a few weeks earlier . We have a week of for half term mid February and I'm toying in whether to say that I won't go back after half term as it would mean travelling further as our new house is an extra 30 mins away from where I work and so I would be leaving the house at 7am every morning and not getting home until 7pm it seems a long shift when I am going to be 7 months pregnant and mid house move!
What are your thoughts??
X

I'm taking mine at 32+2 (2 weeks today!) and boy do I need it now. Throughout the pregnancy I've wondered if I was taking it too early (turns out I had to anyway because I have to take all my annual leave up front or I'll miss out as I'm not returning in 2014), but I've realised in the last couple of weeks in particular, that I DO need it now. I'm totally ready. My brain doesn't work how it used to, I'm tired most of the time through lack of sleep (obviously we all struggle with different symptoms - no sleep is one of mine!!) and although my job is a piece of p*ss at the moment (I work from home, have a very small work-load now etc), it's just something I could do without. Mentally, it's just something I want to get rid of now so I can rest, or not stress about it anymore.

That said, when you take your maternity leave is a complete individual/personal decision. My motivation for my job went a long time ago, and partnered with tiredness I feel like I should have left 2 weeks ago! I suppose it's hard to say how you'll cope nearer the time, as when I was at your stage I felt brilliant!! xxx

PS: just thought I'd mention my maternity doesn't officially start til 10th Feb when ill be 39+1. From Xmas until then is all hols xx

Last edited:
Just out of interest how many weeks before due date is everyone taking their maternity leave or if your already on mat when did you take it ? I had originally planned to work up until 4 weeks before due date which would be mid march but now I am beginning to think I should take it earlier .. We move house in February and with all the stress of moving I'm thinking maybe I should finish a few weeks earlier . We have a week of for half term mid February and I'm toying in whether to say that I won't go back after half term as it would mean travelling further as our new house is an extra 30 mins away from where I work and so I would be leaving the house at 7am every morning and not getting home until 7pm it seems a long shift when I am going to be 7 months pregnant and mid house move! What are your thoughts?? X

I'm taking it just before 35 weeks although taking annual leave first so maternity leave doesn't start til 38 weeks. To be honest it's a personal decision and only you know when it's time. For me the last couple of weeks have been tough so maybe I should have stopped earlier... But I did manage to work from home one day a week which helped not having to commute. Looking forward to finally finishing on Friday though :)

Just out of interest how many weeks before due date is everyone taking their maternity leave or if your already on mat when did you take it ? I had originally planned to work up until 4 weeks before due date which would be mid march but now I am beginning to think I should take it earlier .. We move house in February and with all the stress of moving I'm thinking maybe I should finish a few weeks earlier . We have a week of for half term mid February and I'm toying in whether to say that I won't go back after half term as it would mean travelling further as our new house is an extra 30 mins away from where I work and so I would be leaving the house at 7am every morning and not getting home until 7pm it seems a long shift when I am going to be 7 months pregnant and mid house move! What are your thoughts?? X

I intended to finish at 35 weeks (2 weeks leave would have had mat leave starting at 37 weeks) but I ended up finishing at 33 weeks. With the SPD and carpal tunnel I just couldn't carry on and work weren't happy about me carrying on either! I was resistant to start with as I'm a stubborn cow and wanted to finish on my terms but I'm so glad I did it now. It gets so tough, especially if you don't sleep well and I was not with it half the time, making huge mistakes and in quite a lot of pain. So finishing early was the best thing I could have done under the circumstances!

Then again I know people who have worked up until 38 weeks and been fine - it depends a lot on how your pregnancy goes. If you do set a date you can change it so nothings in stone. It's all down to how you feel really! xxx

I left 10 days before my due date as I hate sitting around waiting! Plus the money thing!!
I'm a teacher so no annual leave to take - I'm glad I pushed myself tho cos once I stopped working I really gained weight, got bored an restless!! Not to mention ratty!! Lol xx

Back