Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Girls can I please ask for your opinions on AN classes?

I have my first, and only day-long antenatal class on Saturday with John. Our MWs like you to have it a month before you're due to give birth, probably so the information is fresh in your mind.

Before we booked on (months ago) I was in two minds... part of me thought that it might help, or provide me with answers to any questions I may have - but on the flipside I've wanted to stay away from having an information overload and feeling anxious/panicking as a result...which is why I've had the "I'm just going to wing it" type of attitude to labour/birth all the way through my pregnancy. The way I see it is I can't possibly plan too much for an event that is so unique, so temperamental and completely unknown until you're actually "in" it if you know what I mean? John encouraged me to book on though as we "might as well".

I've still been umming and ahhing the past few months and now it's this Saturday, I'm as confused as ever. I cannot bear the thought of cringey things - for me, that's sitting in circles and doing those "ice breaker" things where you go around the room and introduce yourselves, do "interesting" facts etc lol :D then I am imagining things like sitting in between John's legs and practicing breathing etc - I couldn't think of anything worse!!! I'd just feel so stupid - even though everyone else would be doing it too. I know John would want to die as well lol. Plus, I'm still in the mindset of "I will go with it on the day".

At the moment, I don't feel like I'm totally clueless about labour/birth and everything else (feeding, bathing etc) as I do a fair bit of research myself anyway...so...what do you think we should do? Do you think it's worth going, or do you think I could do without??

At the minute I'm swaying more towards not going...xx

I want to go to AN classes but only because other than a quick cuddle off my godson and my 3 nieces, I have no experience whatsoever and neither does hubby, I know once they get to walking stage im ok, but newborn stage im bricking it, ours are done over 3/4 sessions so it doesnt seem like so much information overload, couldnt you go for the bit before lunch if you like it stay if you dont you can leave at lunch time?

Girls can I please ask for your opinions on AN classes?

I have my first, and only day-long antenatal class on Saturday with John. Our MWs like you to have it a month before you're due to give birth, probably so the information is fresh in your mind.

Before we booked on (months ago) I was in two minds... part of me thought that it might help, or provide me with answers to any questions I may have - but on the flipside I've wanted to stay away from having an information overload and feeling anxious/panicking as a result...which is why I've had the "I'm just going to wing it" type of attitude to labour/birth all the way through my pregnancy. The way I see it is I can't possibly plan too much for an event that is so unique, so temperamental and completely unknown until you're actually "in" it if you know what I mean? John encouraged me to book on though as we "might as well".

I've still been umming and ahhing the past few months and now it's this Saturday, I'm as confused as ever. I cannot bear the thought of cringey things - for me, that's sitting in circles and doing those "ice breaker" things where you go around the room and introduce yourselves, do "interesting" facts etc lol :D then I am imagining things like sitting in between John's legs and practicing breathing etc - I couldn't think of anything worse!!! I'd just feel so stupid - even though everyone else would be doing it too. I know John would want to die as well lol. Plus, I'm still in the mindset of "I will go with it on the day".

At the moment, I don't feel like I'm totally clueless about labour/birth and everything else (feeding, bathing etc) as I do a fair bit of research myself anyway...so...what do you think we should do? Do you think it's worth going, or do you think I could do without??

At the minute I'm swaying more towards not going...xx
Personally hun... For me it was mostly all repeating stuff we'd chat about on here.. I didn't really take much "new" from my classes but did learn a few little nuggets (all of which obviously escape me now that I'm saying it.. lol)

I would say you won't miss much by not going.. And my main reason for going... was to get extra time off work :D

But you might learn bits n pieces that u didn't know r little tips n post birth...

I think you know enough to get you through... is probably the best thing I can say.. Most of it, you know...
Hope that helps... somewhat...

I want to go to AN classes but only because other than a quick cuddle off my godson and my 3 nieces, I have no experience whatsoever and neither does hubby, I know once they get to walking stage im ok, but newborn stage im bricking it, ours are done over 3/4 sessions so it doesnt seem like so much information overload, couldnt you go for the bit before lunch if you like it stay if you dont you can leave at lunch time?

Shenzi TBH mine didn't really say allot about post birth.. Even tho one of our classes was "about" post birth...

Our classes were a bit useless - the woman running them didn't talk about anything other than a 'normal' birth and was very sniffy about pain relief. I also didn't like that she advocated alternative medicine which I though was a bit naughty as it was an NHS run class! We had two seasons - one on labour (not useful) and one on life after birth which we both found more useful but it's all very much focused on the newborn period. I guess anything else will be covered by your HV later on is the idea? xxx

Shenzi TBH mine didn't really say allot about post birth.. Even tho one of our classes was "about" post birth...

We did a lot about looking after baby and me in the first weeks, how to bath, how to change nappy, how to swaddle etc. do think they vary depending where you are and which type of an classes you attend.

We did a lot about looking after baby and me in the first weeks, how to bath, how to change nappy, how to swaddle etc. do think they vary depending where you are and which type of an classes you attend.

We could have done with that - there was lots of talk in our class but nothing much practical was shown :/

I didn't go to any and don't feel like I suffered unless one session is 'how to get a baby to sleep through!' Lol x

I know not a lot about birth either lol
I really wanted the NCT one, if we have another one ill definitely be saving the money for it!

We could have done with that - there was lots of talk in our class but nothing much practical was shown :/

Hmmm :-/

I've found ours really useful but think they might be different from home as they're every week and very varied. I've done loads of baby reading and still found a lot of useful info from ours, I have experience with babies but DH doesn't and he's found them useful too. Done breast feeding, preparing for hospital, caring for baby and an exercise class so far and next 3 are focusing on labour and birth. Ours are run at the hospital with power points so it's quite relaxed.
It will probably do no harm to go along but equally you have all the thread on here for advice too, might be useful for DH though xx

I know not a lot about birth either lol I really wanted the NCT one, if we have another one ill definitely be saving the money for it! Hmmm :-/

We wanted NCT too but way too expensive. Although they now run 'essentials' classes which I think are a bit cheaper! The NHS classes were a bit naff...

that would be a good one for mums & dads to be who haven't done or got experience in this!

We wanted NCT too but way too expensive. Although they now run 'essentials' classes which I think are a bit cheaper! The NHS classes were a bit naff...

They are expensive. They do reductions depending on income but I don't know how much. It's a shame because nhs round here don't offer much more than one day session with 50 other couples.

They are expensive. They do reductions depending on income but I don't know how much. It's a shame because nhs round here don't offer much more than one day session with 50 other couples.

You have to earn under £25k as a household which we do but the classes were still over £100 even with discount :/

Very much your choice hun which isn't much use I know....do you know what the programme is? Then you could decide a bit easier? The ones we rub evaluate well, stuff about coping in early labour, when to go to Hosp etc, pain relief etc and quite a bit on breast and formula feeding if people want to know.
X

Oh well your sounds allot more useful than mine then...
We had said we were gona book a private 1 day course for J to come to too... But we've been chatting about it lately n we don't know if we'll bother.. As J says its not gona do him much good knowing about labour etc as he'll just be doing whatever I (or docs) shout at him to do at the time... He knows all the massage technics etc as he already does them with me... Anything else I will shout at him at the time (lol) and afterwards I'll show him as we go...
Its not about saving money AT ALL (not that we're rolling in it by any means) but not going also means a saving of €250!!!

We didn't bother going. We just figured we'd go with it on the day. The main reason we didn't go is because it was at the midwife unit where you can't have inductions/epidural/any kind of intervention so it wouldn't really have suited any of my labour/birth (although obviously we didn't know that at the time!). It's personal choice but I don't feel as if we missed out by not going xx

Thanks ladies for all of your replies - it means a lot!!!

I've decided (for me and John lol) to not bother going. I just feel it wouldn't help us any further at this stage as I've done quite a bit of reading already. The topics that are being covered I have read about, or spoken about with you lovely ladies and with regards to labour I'm just going with the flow when it happens. I'm aware of most scenarios that could take place, I'm aware of the different types of pain relief, positions etc. So I emailed them to cancel xx

Thanks ladies for all of your replies - it means a lot!!!

I've decided (for me and John lol) to not bother going. I just feel it wouldn't help us any further at this stage as I've done quite a bit of reading already. The topics that are being covered I have read about, or spoken about with you lovely ladies and with regards to labour I'm just going with the flow when it happens. I'm aware of most scenarios that could take place, I'm aware of the different types of pain relief, positions etc. So I emailed them to cancel xx

So what are you goin to do with your Saturday then?! X

Back