Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

They recommend you make bottles from scratch now but you can do it the way you do at work, it's just not supposed to be the best way. I found this link which helped me. I think this is why a lot of people are buying the TT machine as the new guidelines are a faff! And yeah, it's 2 hours once the feed has been made until you have to throw it away. http://www.nhs.uk/start4life/documents/pdfs/start4life_guide_to_bottle_feeding.pdf With expressed milk you don't have to be quite a careful (although still careful of course!) as the milk is sterile and stands up to bugs better than formula does. So you can keep in the fridge for up to 5 days I was told. I can only express 3oz max at a time which is nowhere near enough for a feed so I have a sterilised bottle in the fridge which I add to every time I express by pouring the milk from the collection bottle into the fridge bottle. I was told to fridge the collection bottle first though so you're not adding warm milk to cold, Then when he's ready for it I just swap the sealing ring for a teat, warm it up in hot water and we're ready to go :) xxx

Thanks missy that leaflet is super helpful :)
Do you use formula at all or do you just bf? Xx

It seems a day fr requesting help...so here goes...

Health visitor has been and took Stevie's weight and went 'wow' when she left I checked and he has gone from the75% Centile to above the 91st...when she said wow I asked if I should 'be concerned' and she said no the milk is just working well!

We then spoke about weaning and I have to be careful with everything as all pre made ( I wasn't planning on having much pre made but having some in the cupboard etc) contains cows milk.
That's fine for me but also the baby porridge contains it... Rusks...basically lots of stuff I was going to use!

So it's puréed veg and fruit - however she said start with just veg...so is it veg for breakfast?!?!

Does anyone know of anyone with similar?? My mum said 'give him an egg for breakfast' lol she is just comedy as I picture her giving him a dippy egg and soldiers lol.

Off I go to go to google dairy free diet! Xx

Thanks missy that leaflet is super helpful :) Do you use formula at all or do you just bf? Xx

I mostly bf but he does have formula once or twice a day or expressed milk instead if we have enough in. So I get the best of both world lol ;) xxx

It seems a day fr requesting help...so here goes... Health visitor has been and took Stevie's weight and went 'wow' when she left I checked and he has gone from the75% Centile to above the 91st...when she said wow I asked if I should 'be concerned' and she said no the milk is just working well! We then spoke about weaning and I have to be careful with everything as all pre made ( I wasn't planning on having much pre made but having some in the cupboard etc) contains cows milk. That's fine for me but also the baby porridge contains it... Rusks...basically lots of stuff I was going to use! So it's puréed veg and fruit - however she said start with just veg...so is it veg for breakfast?!?! Does anyone know of anyone with similar?? My mum said 'give him an egg for breakfast' lol she is just comedy as I picture her giving him a dippy egg and soldiers lol. Off I go to go to google dairy free diet! Xx

Maybe try the vegan society website maybe? I've had some really good info on vegetarian weaning from the vegetarian society for when Seth's old so I'm sure it'd be the same for the vegan society.

Good weight gain though Stevie! What a star! xxx

Maybe try the vegan society website maybe? I've had some really good info on vegetarian weaning from the vegetarian society for when Seth's old so I'm sure it'd be the same for the vegan society. Good weight gain though Stevie! What a star! xxx

Thanks - I've googles and if I actually go on my laptop and not my mobile aptimal have created 21 recipes for the milk he uses!! Lol. I suppose someone took the hassle away from it.

I think once I get going I will be ok...I was just shocked as if never thought about it!!

No yogurts etc. The health visitor said the 'Ellen's kitchen' stuff is best xxx

Ella's kitchen products are brilliant. Nothing artificial added and taste really nice too. I used these when I was working or going out and could not make my own. X

RE- Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature Perfect Prep Machine

View attachment 126278

Ladies who got this, or thinking about it.... is it worth it?? Before i used to make 2-4 bottles and put into the fridge and heat in microwave when needed... but debating to get one or not?? x

its well worth the money! I have one and I love it....makes a bottle from scratch in less than 2 minutes....its a lifesaver :)

Hey ladies. Anyone any ideas... Eabha (feels weird using a name for her!!) does seem to poo allot!!! Monday, the day she was born, every nappy was poo-ey. Tuesday morning she had 2 poo-ey nappies n then none til Friday! Her first one was full! But nothing after. Saturdays first nappy had a teeny poo in n nothing since!!
PHN said she's prob not getting enough food so I hav upped her intake but still nothing. When she did go it was a little yellow but not dry n quite runny but was wet... If that makes sense...
I do the cycle legs n leg pressing against her tummy etc a couple of times a day. She doesn't seem at all bothered by it. Not grumpy n is sleeping etc.
Anyone any thoughts??
Should I just keep keeping an eye on it n see how she goes?
R shud I give the PHN a ring n let her kno?

Also... Hiccups! Has anyone any tips on how to get rid of them?? I've read up to feed thru them but that doesn't seem to work for us!!! N I've read up in how to give her a little massage to get rid of them but neither works for us..
I know they say babies aren't bothered by them but they are quite bad n they sound uncomfortable. N it's always when she gets cosy asleep that she gets them!!

What they said! Loads of wees means they are fine and you might find she starts doing a few big poos rather than lots of little ones.
Hiccups you can't really do much about unfortunately, they just arrive and go on their own! X

Right so girls ..
I'm starting to panic about feeding .. I would like to bf but am also considering formula feeding depending on how I get on . Anyway I am a little confused in how to store feeds and what to do when going out and about.
So am I right in thinking that when formula feeding I can make bottles up in the morning then wait for them to cool before storing in the fridge and then warm as needed throughout the day ?? This is what I have always done with the little boy I look after at work but I started looking after him at around 5 months so just wanted to check the same still applies with newborns . As far as I can remember I then have 2 hours to use milk that has been taken out of the fridge .. Is this right?!
I would throw out any milk that hasn't been used that day..but just so I'm clear how long can you officially store milk in the fridge for before it needs throwing ??
Also if i get on well with bf and decide to express how do I store these bottles ? Do the same rules apply ?!
Sorry for all the questions I'm just having a last minute panic :/
Xxx
I asked this Q only last night on my Irish forum... This is how I'll be doing them...
"made them up with formula in them & popped them in sink of cold water to cool them quickly & then left them on counter"
I'll make 2 batches of 4 bottles each.. So tonight i'll make 4 at bedtime... 1 for last feed of the night, 2 for "night" feeds.. N 1st bottle of the morning...
They last 12 hours at room temp as long as the lid isn't removed at any stage.. And if a bottle has been started... it must be discarded after an hour MAX!!!

As for expressed milk bottles I have NO idea x

It seems a day fr requesting help...so here goes...

Health visitor has been and took Stevie's weight and went 'wow' when she left I checked and he has gone from the75% Centile to above the 91st...when she said wow I asked if I should 'be concerned' and she said no the milk is just working well!

We then spoke about weaning and I have to be careful with everything as all pre made ( I wasn't planning on having much pre made but having some in the cupboard etc) contains cows milk.
That's fine for me but also the baby porridge contains it... Rusks...basically lots of stuff I was going to use!

So it's puréed veg and fruit - however she said start with just veg...so is it veg for breakfast?!?!

Does anyone know of anyone with similar?? My mum said 'give him an egg for breakfast' lol she is just comedy as I picture her giving him a dippy egg and soldiers lol.

Off I go to go to google dairy free diet! Xx

Yup the Ella's kitchen stuff is good for going out and about with.
I used the Annabel Karmel book (think it's the complete guide to weaning or something) for weaning, she has recipes in there that are dairy free and vege as well missy! And she gives you a planner thing so as to what to introduce when and at what times. I found it really useful.
Xx

What they said! Loads of wees means they are fine and you might find she starts doing a few big poos rather than lots of little ones.
Hiccups you can't really do much about unfortunately, they just arrive and go on their own! X
Grand... Thanks hun.. I wasn't worried as she gives lotz of wet nappies.. N if I've not changed her between feeds its FULL come feeding time!! But I just wanted the reassurance of being told I had nothing to worry about...

OH Mam has been great since she arrived and has called a few times to check n make sure i'm doing OK.. N reassuring me its OK to cry.. Even if its for nothing that its all very natural etc (baby blues) She's really checking in on me.. Not to an extent where it feels she doesn't believe I can do this.. But just enough to show she's there if I need the support/help.. Seeing as I don't have my own Mam to call upon...
But... She made a comment in the hospital which has made me a little uncomfortable asking her the little things.. I know she didn't mean it in a bad way but it touched a nerve

Hiccups are annoying.. I know they probably don't annoy her as much as they would an adult.. But they sound so bad and irritating on her.. And feeding thru doesn't work for her :(

Just trying to catch up....

Oliver used to always have hiccups inside me and he now has them a lot. His whole body trembles, poor thing, but he doesn't seem too worried. Someone told me it is a sign of a thriving baby but maybe that's an old wives tale!

I know nowt about weaning but my plan was to cook bit extra veg and potato etc when we cook for dinner and then mush it up... But will look into it more nearer the time.

As for making up bottles... We currently make them up as we need them so they are fresher and less risk of bacteria etc. this is a pain during the night. I asked HV today about going out and she said to take bottle of boiled water with us, and then put the formula into a dispenser container and make it up but has to be used within 2 hours max. I am combination feeding so don't use bottles all the time. If we move to exclusive ff then think id buy the tt bottle maker. It's £74.99 in boots at the moment btw.

As the other girls have said buy lots of basic vests. We go through lots where Oliver wees on them. Problem with little boys and taking happy off. I need to be quicker!!

Oh and girls who bf or are thinking of combination feeding... I struggled bf to start with and Oliver lost 10.8% of his birth weight. We were then monitored by the midwife and Oliver was weighed every other day. He didn't put on any weight for a couple of weigh ins and then it was only 1ounce. Anyway today he was weighed and he has put on 11ounces in one week! He is now only an ounce off his birthday weight. So pleased. Anyway my point here is that I know most midwifes don't recommend it but combination feeding can work. For me, I couldn't cope with exclusive breastfeeding so this helps me that bf can give him a bottle or can top up after bf with a ff so we know he is getting enough milk. Also it shows that it can take a while for babies who are bf to start piling on the weight.

Oh and girls who bf or are thinking of combination feeding... I struggled bf to start with and Oliver lost 10.8% of his birth weight. We were then monitored by the midwife and Oliver was weighed every other day. He didn't put on any weight for a couple of weigh ins and then it was only 1ounce. Anyway today he was weighed and he has put on 11ounces in one week! He is now only an ounce off his birthday weight. So pleased. Anyway my point here is that I know most midwifes don't recommend it but combination feeding can work. For me, I couldn't cope with exclusive breastfeeding so this helps me that bf can give him a bottle or can top up after bf with a ff so we know he is getting enough milk. Also it shows that it can take a while for babies who are bf to start piling on the weight.

So glad he's putting on weight, it must be a huge relief.

I think bf babies do take longer to regain weight, it took Seth a good couple of weeks to get back to his birth weight and he couldn't be discharged when he should have been. Since then he's put on quite a bit, although I'm still worried that it's not enough! He's due to be weighed next week so we'll find out how he's doing and I'll be making a decision from that as to whether to add another bottle :) I'm feeling much more positive about feeding now I'm less tired tbh but it's great to here good experiences with mixed feeding as no one really talks about it much xxx

So glad he's putting on weight, it must be a huge relief. I think bf babies do take longer to regain weight, it took Seth a good couple of weeks to get back to his birth weight and he couldn't be discharged when he should have been. Since then he's put on quite a bit, although I'm still worried that it's not enough! He's due to be weighed next week so we'll find out how he's doing and I'll be making a decision from that as to whether to add another bottle :) I'm feeling much more positive about feeding now I'm less tired tbh but it's great to here good experiences with mixed feeding as no one really talks about it much xxx

Well that's why I shared because most health professionals talk about bf or ff, but not both at the same time. I'm not saying I won't move to exclusive ff at some point but at the moment bf and then offering ff as a top up is working. We do offer bottle sometimes too like if Paul doing late night feed. X

Well that's why I shared because most health professionals talk about bf or ff, but not both at the same time. I'm not saying I won't move to exclusive ff at some point but at the moment bf and then offering ff as a top up is working. We do offer bottle sometimes too like if Paul doing late night feed. X

I'm hoping to do the same assuming I get on with bf ..as I don't want my oh to miss out on feeding so might do a bottle of ff for the evening feed .. I've heard that expressing can be quite difficult to so its nice to have the option of topping up with formula if necessary
X

I'm hoping to do the same assuming I get on with bf ..as I don't want my oh to miss out on feeding so might do a bottle of ff for the evening feed .. I've heard that expressing can be quite difficult to so its nice to have the option of topping up with formula if necessary X

Expressing is hard work and not everyone does well with it. I seem to get hardly anything when I express! Colin gives Seth a bottle of formula or expressed milk in the evening so I can go to bed early ;) It's worth expressing if you skip a bf though, I get really sore boobs if I miss a feed and don't express! xxx

I'm hoping to do the same assuming I get on with bf ..as I don't want my oh to miss out on feeding so might do a bottle of ff for the evening feed .. I've heard that expressing can be quite difficult to so its nice to have the option of topping up with formula if necessary X

I've struggled to express. This morning I missed a feed because Oliver was sleeping so I expressed and managed 2 ounces. That's the most I've got and even then that's enough for Oliver. Better than nowt though.

That's good considering he's a little baby at the moment! I find expressing harder now she's that much older. When she was about 3-4months old if could get about 6-7oz off both sides but I'm lucky now if I get 3oz.
I think it makes a difference as to what method you use. I started with a medela pump but actually find I do better with a handheld one now. I'm terrible at hand expressing!
Xx

That's good considering he's a little baby at the moment! I find expressing harder now she's that much older. When she was about 3-4months old if could get about 6-7oz off both sides but I'm lucky now if I get 3oz. I think it makes a difference as to what method you use. I started with a medela pump but actually find I do better with a handheld one now. I'm terrible at hand expressing! Xx

I have a Medela manual pump, it's good but makes my arm ache! I only got 3oz off last night and that was from both sides after he'd been asleep for 5 hours... :/

Back