Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Ladies I'm having a moment....a whole day if them!!

Just watched OBEM and was teary missing my baby bump....I have a huge 18lb baby here who I love more than anything but I want a tiny new born too!!! Lol.

Then I log onto Facebook to see a pregnancy announcement! Which is amazing but I want it to be me!!

My friend who is expecting twins knows the sex of her babies and isn't sharing till her baby shower...

And to top it off I have to clear Stevie clothes out for the charity (everyone has had girls since Stevie) as I can't store them any longer; I have 3 huge bags of them!!!

Hormones!!!! When can I expect them to settle down?!

Ladies I'm freaking out about Cole's jabs tomorrow! I know he'll be fine but the thought of him feeling off it upsets me.

Those of you who've already been through it, how were your babies afterwards? Did they have nasty nappies? And were they off colour? Just want to know what to be prepared for. I've got Calpol at the ready but anything else I need to know?

Oh and Cai - I'm with you! Still jealous of the pregnancy announcements (don't think it will ever go away) and miss my Cole shaped bump. Hoping to persuade Tom to start trying for number two next June. But then that'll be it for us :(

Stevie had a cold before he had his first jabs so I can't really comment as he was ill anyway.

He did do one bad nappy a few days after but nothing major.

The one thing I do recall was him sleeping lots!! I wrapped all my Christmas gifts on his jabs day xx

Yes we had the sleepy thing too. I think she was more sicky after the rotavirus ones but she was sicky anyway so may have new coincidence? She wasn't unwell with any of them though. And no icky nappies.

I still get jealous of newborns, I love my little Abigail obviously but newborns are so munchable! And I loved my bump as well but not so much towards the end...it was the last 3 weeks when I got loads of stretch marks. :(

I should probably know the answer to this working in a hospital but I don't!
When you book with your midwife can you opt to give birth at any hospital or does it have to be your nearest geographically?
We have just moved house and my nearest hospital is now Stafford which has the WORST reputation. I have yet to see my new community midwife but may give her a call tomorrow.
Thanks x

Stevie had a cold before he had his first jabs so I can't really comment as he was ill anyway. He did do one bad nappy a few days after but nothing major. The one thing I do recall was him sleeping lots!! I wrapped all my Christmas gifts on his jabs day xx

Yes we had the sleepy thing too. I think she was more sicky after the rotavirus ones but she was sicky anyway so may have new coincidence? She wasn't unwell with any of them though. And no icky nappies. I still get jealous of newborns, I love my little Abigail obviously but newborns are so munchable! And I loved my bump as well but not so much towards the end...it was the last 3 weeks when I got loads of stretch marks. :(

Thanks girls. I know it's a bit pathetic but he had so many heel pricks and things when he was born and it's stuck with me. I'm sure it's going to bother me FAR more than it'll bother him. Got all the wedding stuff to sort into boxes tomorrow so the venue can decorate the tables and room so if he sleeps it'll give us chance to do that xx

I should probably know the answer to this working in a hospital but I don't!
When you book with your midwife can you opt to give birth at any hospital or does it have to be your nearest geographically?
We have just moved house and my nearest hospital is now Stafford which has the WORST reputation. I have yet to see my new community midwife but may give her a call tomorrow.
Thanks x

It is entirely your choice but it depends if the others near you have room. However, you're entitled to go a bit further afield if you wish to travel. We've had people from Somerset come to use the serenity birth centre at city Hosp in Birmingham!
There are others near you though aren't there?
Xx

Ladies I'm freaking out about Cole's jabs tomorrow! I know he'll be fine but the thought of him feeling off it upsets me. Those of you who've already been through it, how were your babies afterwards? Did they have nasty nappies? And were they off colour? Just want to know what to be prepared for. I've got Calpol at the ready but anything else I need to know? Oh and Cai - I'm with you! Still jealous of the pregnancy announcements (don't think it will ever go away) and miss my Cole shaped bump. Hoping to persuade Tom to start trying for number two next June. But then that'll be it for us :(

Some arnica cream for later will help :) and sometimes it's a good idea to give a dose of calpol before you go .. I've been told to do that with my boys from the nurse.

Thanks Susie, yes there's new cross and stoke which are about 20 miles away so not too bad. I think I will go for new cross if possible. Are you still based in Birmingham? X

As the others have said he should not be poorly after but may be sleepy and cal pol is a must x good luck it's always worse for the mummies than the babies

Thanks Susie, yes there's new cross and stoke which are about 20 miles away so not too bad. I think I will go for new cross if possible. Are you still based in Birmingham? X

New cross is supposed to be good I think. Walsall manor as well are very hot on low risk(birth centre etc) if that's your thing/you're able to.
Yes am still in Birmingham but on mat leave at the moment. :)

Ladies I'm freaking out about Cole's jabs tomorrow! I know he'll be fine but the thought of him feeling off it upsets me.

Those of you who've already been through it, how were your babies afterwards? Did they have nasty nappies? And were they off colour? Just want to know what to be prepared for. I've got Calpol at the ready but anything else I need to know?

Oh and Cai - I'm with you! Still jealous of the pregnancy announcements (don't think it will ever go away) and miss my Cole shaped bump. Hoping to persuade Tom to start trying for number two next June. But then that'll be it for us :(

Seth had his the other weekend and we were told that the rotovirus vaccine may cause some nasty nappies - don't know whether it was coincidence but we had a couple of days of extra stinky nappies with a tinge of green and a spot of nappy rash which cleared quickly. Other than that he was drowsy but otherwise fine. We had a very good nights sleep that night!

He'll be fine, it's worse for us than it is for them I'm sure. I was a right state but he was fine after a little bit of a cry. xxx

Seth had his the other weekend and we were told that the rotovirus vaccine may cause some nasty nappies - don't know whether it was coincidence but we had a couple of days of extra stinky nappies with a tinge of green and a spot of nappy rash which cleared quickly. Other than that he was drowsy but otherwise fine. We had a very good nights sleep that night! He'll be fine, it's worse for us than it is for them I'm sure. I was a right state but he was fine after a little bit of a cry. xxx

Well I won't complain about a good nights sleep!! Haha. I know I'm being soft, I just hate the thought of him being in pain or upset, as do all mummies, I know. I don't mind stinky nappies, just don't fancy explosive ones as I need to finish Tom's birthday bits this weekend at some point and don't fancy a mess while we're out and about. I use sudocrem on him after every nappy anyway so I'll just lather extra on xxx

We use sudocrem after every change too and he still got it. Those nappies were explosive and noxious smelling though so it's not surprising that his skin was a bit irritated! We just slapped on metanium under the sudocrem and checked his nappy more regularly just to be safe. :)

We use sudocrem after every change too and he still got it. Those nappies were explosive and noxious smelling though so it's not surprising that his skin was a bit irritated! We just slapped on metanium under the sudocrem and checked his nappy more regularly just to be safe. :)

Yeah I remember you saying that, actually. Maybe I'll try the egg white tip....or maybe I'll just buy some metanium tomorrow. Might even let him have a lot of naked bum time too. We do it once or twice every day for about 10-20 mins anyway but if he's happy to lay and kick his legs I might do it more often and for longer then if he poos I can catch it while he's doing it :) x

Katie I'm having mine at newcross!
Given that were both due around the same time how funny would it be if we ended up both in hospital at the same time haha! X

No way,!!! What's it like? I have not been yet, do they let you go and have a look around? Oooh we may be there at the same time, small world. I apologise now if I'm the one screaming and vomiting in the corner!
X

Well I haven't looked around the delivery bit but I've had all my scans and appointments there and everyone that works there is really friendly .. I have heard that the aftercare is not brill but I think that's the same at most .
My closest hospital is actually royal Shrewsbury as we have just moved house to Telford from Wolverhampton but I want to stick with newcross as I am familiar with it .
Right ..well we either need my baby to come a week early or yours to come a week late .. Then we might be in at the same time haha!
It will be interesting to see how our experiences compare though
X

If anyone has a blocked milk duct have a bath and massage it in the water, almost completely got rid of the pain which was sooooo sore!!

Back