Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I have stuff u can use from birth but it's basically olbas drops... So more for Moses than throats :(

I was thinking of putting a bit of the baby Olbas on a tissue not far from his Moses basket so he can smell it but it's not too strong or too close to him.

Oh no poor Cole having a cold....fingers crossed it goes before the big day! I think You can use saline drops for his nose and if you have a pharmacy nearby you could ask the pharmacist if you can use any of the snufflebabe stuff etc. I know you could give him some calpol which might ease his throat a bit. To be honest I think if the water helps then give him some as long as he still eats whatever soothes his throat has to be a good thing. You could also offer less milk more regularly to give him fluid to soothe his throat..just an idea. Hope little man feels better soon xxx

We gave him some calpol last night but with him having his jabs on Thursday and giving him it then and Friday too I don't want to give him too much. But then it settled him loads last night so it might not hurt for a couple of nights until he's better.
When I gave him the water he wasn't hungry as he was refusing milk, probably because it was only an hour and half after his last bottle, so I think I'll be ok giving him little sips of it.
The little and often thing is a good idea too, I'll try that for the rest of the day. Thanks Hun xx

Hot steamy room helps, then I'd put olbas or adults vic onto a flannel or tissue just close to crib so it was airing the room with the smell but not on his skin xx

We had baby olbas which seemed to work ok, but also my mum suggested to us to place a bowl of water in the bedroom at night to make the air more moist as central heating is quite drying.
The water should be fine, you need to keep his fluids up if he's refusing milk.
Hope he's better soon xxxx

Whats everyones thoughts on setting up an email address for baby and sending emails? What type of things would you send by email? Photos etc? Just trying to think of ideas :) Anyone got any other good 'making memories' ideas? :D xx

Hey my friends have done this and i will be setting up a facebook account i wont be adding any friends and it will all be private but then they will be able to look at time line at photos and be checked in places you go to x

Hey all - I keep reading about tummy time, Bella is just over 4 weeks old and is happiest when sleeping on my chest. Is there something I need to buy for her to lay on her front so she can enjoy being on her tummy when she is awake? x

Last edited:
Hey all - I keep reading about tummy time, Bella is just over 4 weeks old and is happiest when sleeping on my chest. Is there something I need to buy for her to lay on her front so she can enjoy being on her tummy when she is awake? x

I just laid Jacob on one of his blankets on the sofa x

There's lotsa tummy time products u can buy hun but it doesn't hafta b anything specific. A rolled up towel/ blanket is just as good. R placing her arms up under her chin..,.

I put Cole on my chest and lay down so he pushes himself up but he's still close to me. I also roll up one of his blankets and put that under him too. I usually put him on the settee and sit in front of him on the floor so he can still see me and can't roll off x

Yes you don't need anything special.
We just put Abbie on her tummy with a little blanket under her shoulders but after a while they don't need it. She wasn't keen tbh but we did it a little every day as the hv suggested and she's much better now. Friends I know who have babies though have put their babies on their tummies and they loved it so every baby is different xx

Our HV told us not to do tummy time until 6 weeks. What have others been told? X

My HV and midwife said as soon as we wanted to and actually recommended it from as early as possible to encourage them to strengthen their necks. Cole lifted his head really early so we just went with it. My step mum was surprised because she said, years ago, they said not to let them lift their heads. X

Eabha loves tummy time. She loves to sleep on her tummy too... Which she only does when on my chest (or daddy's) but she looks most comfy that way....

Cole loves to sleep on our chests. He comes in bed with us at 6am every day when he refuses to sleep in his Moses anymore and sleeps on one of us until about 8 or 9am.

Stevie used to love sleeping on hubby's chest... Now he just won't do it!!

We never had success (or I thought we didint) with tummy time but now he is happy to lay on his tummy and lift his head for over 5 mins...he even pulls his legs up into a crawling position but not his arms as such!!

So basically if they don't like tummy time, don't worry or push it...a min here an there is enough:) xxx

Yea Eabha started lifting her head really early too. I was still in hosp when she started trying. Obviously we got home the next day so that's how early!! J's mam cudnt believe she'd lifted it. She didn't hav any control over it when lifted obviously but the fact she was lifting it amazed her...
Yea sure just time laying in ur chest is tummy time when they're teeny.

Yea Eabha started lifting her head really early too. I was still in hosp when she started trying. Obviously we got home the next day so that's how early!! J's mam cudnt believe she'd lifted it. She didn't hav any control over it when lifted obviously but the fact she was lifting it amazed her... Yea sure just time laying in ur chest is tummy time when they're teeny.

It's strange to see a newborn doing it. Cole did it and the midwife commented on it because he was so little. But she did say more and more babies are doing it earlier now that years ago, but I think that's because years ago they always just had them laid in the crook of their arm and Cole's hated that since day one, unless he's being fed.

Seth was doing it pretty much from day one - I've always had comments on how good his head control is. He was very wobbly at first of course but he's fab at holding his head up now. Hates being on his tummy though unless he's on me! xxx

Thanks girls I will try the blanket rolled up on her play mat tmrw and see how she gets on. I keep getting comments on how strong she is at holding her head up too! x

Must read mummies

copied and pasted from fb

PLEASE SHARE AND MAKE PEOPLE AWARE.... Last night we had to take our daughter Lilly to the children's A&E DEPT due to using Olbas oil for children!!! (Can be used from 3 months) I put the stated dose onto a bib and tied it to the side of the bed and told her not to touch it as it's dangerous. I then popped out to use the loo and was gone for one minute max when I returned her face was bright red and she told me she had been sucking the bib.

When we called the 111 service they contacted the poison line and called us straight back apparently it is HIGHLY TOXIC!!! When we arrived at the hospital they examined her and then kept her in over night, the DR explained that although it is a natural oil they are the worst for children to swallow, once it is in the blood stream it can cause side affects from coughing to seizures as well as other side affects and it only takes as little as 2 drops to be dangerous! (can not believe this is a natural oil you can use for babies, and the cap does not even have a safety catch on it so if a child decided to have a drink of it they would be able to open the bottle).

The DR also explained that none of these natural oils actually do anything for your child and the best thing for a blocked nose is the saline drops/sprays as they are just salt water. Luckily for us our child has only developed a cough from it. PLEASE PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN BE AWARE as unfortunately most of us think natural oils are safe!!!

1622125_10200866051808551_1773038910_n.jpg

I have that Olbas Oil, although I've not used it yet. The thing with that story that gets me is why would you put it next to a child, tell them not touch it as it's dangerous and then leave them alone with it? Obviously what happened (if it's true - I don't believe a lot of FB stuff) is horrible and nobody deserves that. And if it is true then it should carry visible warnings. Scary stuff.

Back