Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

This is the odd thing, my last scan was at 39+2 and they were still saying he'd be a big baby then! I think they go off femur length though and Seth has v long legs so that could be what threw the weight estimate out... ;)

At my hosp they go on the size of the head, the tummy and the thigh...
She didn't expect to b so close as Eabha's head was so low down she couldn't get an accurate measurement if it...

How old is he Sarah? Has he been feeding more recently? I'm surprised she suggested you do one or the other rather than suggest changes you can make. How much dairy do you eat? As if you're vege and doing SW you get 8 HE's most of which should be dairy as I'm sure you know....;) How often does he feed? And what's your night time regime like? What I'm trying to ascertain is what's what and sending don't panic vibes! Xxx

He's 12 weeks old so still only little. He feeds regularly in the day, every hour at least (longer if we're out as he naps in his pram, he won't nap at home), building up over the evening though to constant feeding before he crashes out at 11. Coljn gives him a bottle at 1ish when he takes over and then I carry on bf when he wakes up (anywhere between 3.30 and 8, 5/6 being average). So there is a long gap in the middle. I find I have to express before I feed him for that first feed after the bottle as my boobs are so full he struggles to latch.

I'm trying to eat plenty of dairy but tbh I'm maybe not having as much as I should. I do have lots of milk and cheese once a day. Plus yogurt if we have any in! I'm eating a lot of rubbish at the mo - tonnes of toast, cake, chocolate, all the bad stuff :/ I do try to drink plenty of water though.

I can't help but worry, I just checked his red book and he's only gained 10oz in a month! :/ xxx

You have done so many amazing weeks at BFing... If you are torn then I would FF...Seth will continue to gain weight, you won't feel the pressure of feeding and u might feel better... No1 can ever take the BFing that u have done away!!! But....I am just one opinion xx

And I appreciate them all - thank you hun xxx I'm thinking about it hard I promise, if formula would be better for him then that's the way I'll go. I just want the best for my boy! :/

When my oldest was born he was long and lean and he has stayed that way. It's just his body type. He was 97 % height and 50% weight until he was 3-4 years sometimes he dipped below the 50% weight when he had his spring growth spurts ..

As a baby he feed constantly .. Was a pain in the rear end and I BF during the night 3-4 times until he was about 7 mths, he dropped down to 1-2 feeds at night until he was 14 mths, which at that time I had moved him to cows milk .. Of which he drank 2-3 pints a day lol as well as good food :)

The way you are feeding sounds fine, your baby is just a hungry boy who's growing, if your coping with BF during the day and your OH is ok with the night feeds, I would continue with what's working.

My 2nd son was very different in that he was born long and lean .. But he gained weight quicker and even now he is quicker to gain weight, my boys have different body types .. Both tall but ones lean and the other is a bit chunkier ..

I find that my 2 boys grow quickly in the spring and then again in the late summer early autumn.. Their hunger reflects these growth spurt as well.

He's 12 weeks old so still only little. He feeds regularly in the day, every hour at least (longer if we're out as he naps in his pram, he won't nap at home), building up over the evening though to constant feeding before he crashes out at 11. Coljn gives him a bottle at 1ish when he takes over and then I carry on bf when he wakes up (anywhere between 3.30 and 8, 5/6 being average). So there is a long gap in the middle. I find I have to express before I feed him for that first feed after the bottle as my boobs are so full he struggles to latch.

I'm trying to eat plenty of dairy but tbh I'm maybe not having as much as I should. I do have lots of milk and cheese once a day. Plus yogurt if we have any in! I'm eating a lot of rubbish at the mo - tonnes of toast, cake, chocolate, all the bad stuff :/ I do try to drink plenty of water though.

I can't help but worry, I just checked his red book and he's only gained 10oz in a month! :/ xxx

It really sounds like you're feeding fine hun, plenty during the day and at night as well so I wouldn't worry about your supply. As others have said, every baby is different same as every adult is different, some are long and lean others are not so.
Maybe try and look at your diet a bit? But I know it's hard. I know it's not easy but try not to worry, he's clearly happy and healthy (judging by the smiles!) and you may find he's just a long skinny baby and becomes a long skinny toddler!
I would see how it goes and go back in a few weeks.
Hugs xxxx

Hi poppin by to subscribe!
My names Sammie im pregnant with baby number 2 I am due on the 18th august! I am so nervous I am more nervous with this pregnancy than I was with my first amazin lil boy lucas who is now 4!
Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

It really sounds like you're feeding fine hun, plenty during the day and at night as well so I wouldn't worry about your supply. As others have said, every baby is different same as every adult is different, some are long and lean others are not so. Maybe try and look at your diet a bit? But I know it's hard. I know it's not easy but try not to worry, he's clearly happy and healthy (judging by the smiles!) and you may find he's just a long skinny baby and becomes a long skinny toddler! I would see how it goes and go back in a few weeks. Hugs xxxx

I think it was that gap at night that worried them, before he was sleeping until 3 but now he sleeps until 5/6 as a rule so that's quite a few feeds I'm missing.

I hope that's all it is - at the mo I'm just worried that my insistence on keeping on with bf is harming him and that if I put him on formula he'd put on weight...

Will definitely try to address my diet, more daily and will try to get some porridge in there as I keep being told to eat more oats ;)

Thanks hun, I really appreciate your advice! xxx

When my oldest was born he was long and lean and he has stayed that way. It's just his body type. He was 97 % height and 50% weight until he was 3-4 years sometimes he dipped below the 50% weight when he had his spring growth spurts .. As a baby he feed constantly .. Was a pain in the rear end and I BF during the night 3-4 times until he was about 7 mths, he dropped down to 1-2 feeds at night until he was 14 mths, which at that time I had moved him to cows milk .. Of which he drank 2-3 pints a day lol as well as good food :) The way you are feeding sounds fine, your baby is just a hungry boy who's growing, if your coping with BF during the day and your OH is ok with the night feeds, I would continue with what's working. My 2nd son was very different in that he was born long and lean .. But he gained weight quicker and even now he is quicker to gain weight, my boys have different body types .. Both tall but ones lean and the other is a bit chunkier .. I find that my 2 boys grow quickly in the spring and then again in the late summer early autumn.. Their hunger reflects these growth spurt as well.

All kids are different I guess! How did you cope with being up 3-4 times a night? I was on my knees after two weeks of it. I know it'd be easier to co-sleep but I'm really not comfortable with the idea and I find bf lying down really hard, it just doesn't seem to work for us!

Hi poppin by to subscribe! My names Sammie im pregnant with baby number 2 I am due on the 18th august! I am so nervous I am more nervous with this pregnancy than I was with my first amazin lil boy lucas who is now 4! Xxx Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Congratulations Sammie! xxx

All kids are different I guess! How did you cope with being up 3-4 times a night? I was on my knees after two weeks of it. I know it'd be easier to co-sleep but I'm really not comfortable with the idea and I find bf lying down really hard, it just doesn't seem to work for us!

It's like a bad dream .. Truth is I would sleep when he slept during the day, I would sometimes be asleep in my lounge chair while he was feeding .. Midwife suggested laying down feeding. Which I started after my boobs had settled down by about 3mths.. 1st baby determined to BF. Was a bit of a grumpy zombie and my housework suffered but my son was more important. OH started sleeping on the couch as he was worried he would roll on our baby. I'm really stubborn and in the end got used to the patten of feeds and having to have naps when I could.

I think it was that gap at night that worried them, before he was sleeping until 3 but now he sleeps until 5/6 as a rule so that's quite a few feeds I'm missing.

I hope that's all it is - at the mo I'm just worried that my insistence on keeping on with bf is harming him and that if I put him on formula he'd put on weight...

Will definitely try to address my diet, more daily and will try to get some porridge in there as I keep being told to eat more oats ;)

Thanks hun, I really appreciate your advice! xxx

I understand what you mean but at some point he is going to drop that 3am feed which is great! Abbie was about 3.5months when it just started getting later and later and then she started going 11-7am. With no prodding from me, I just fed her when she wanted it. Try not to worry hun, he may just be long and slim. I would expect that if he's grown consistently at the next weigh in they will be quite happy. Maybe ask that they do his length?
You're doing good xxx enjoy the cheese! X

Girls... Anyone any tips with how to cope with back pain? I can't even pick Eabha up without it causing excruciating pain ;(

Go see a chiropractor.. Arnica cream/ go see doctor .. You may need Physio

I hurt my back with my 1st son (at 10 mths old) and had to have Physio for 8 weeks and had to get help from family.

Girls... Anyone any tips with how to cope with back pain? I can't even pick Eabha up without it causing excruciating pain ;(

Could it be related to your SPD? I've had a reoccurrence of lower back and hip pain in the last few weeks and thinking it might be related in my case. Definitely worth seeing your doctor just in case hun, I'll be going this week! xxx

Waiting to get hold of j's mam to see if she can take Eabha while I go gp. Don't wana take her with all them sick ppl
It's agony!! Not sure if it'd be SPD related as I only had pain in my left side pelvis.. N this pain is just in the bottom half of my back, don't my spine ;(

Hope you managed to see gp hun and get some answers re your back xx

Hey all, hope you're doing ok. Just wondering whether any of you have braved putting your little ones to bed on their own yet? I know they say not to let them sleep in a separate room so Cole is still sleeping in our room until he's six months old but he gets really grumpy and unsettled of a night, from about 6ish, so on Sunday night we put him in his Moses about 8ish and set up the video monitor to watch him and we did it again last night at Tom's mums. I feel so guilty because it's nice to have a bit of us time but I feel bad for enjoying the bit of time on our own, like I'm 'getting rid' of him.

Hope you get to GP Frances x

Sarah I would put him down in his Moses basket before we go to bed but we leave him sleeping in bouncer until he wakes for his 11/12 feed then he goes into basket x

Can anyone advise on how many oz he should be having?

He's 4 weeks on Thursday and has been happy with 4oz but last night he was up every 2 hours or less and today he wouldn't settle until I'd given him 5oz!

Hope you get to GP Frances x Sarah I would put him down in his Moses basket before we go to bed but we leave him sleeping in bouncer until he wakes for his 11/12 feed then he goes into basket x Can anyone advise on how many oz he should be having? He's 4 weeks on Thursday and has been happy with 4oz but last night he was up every 2 hours or less and today he wouldn't settle until I'd given him 5oz!

He won't sleep on his chair or Moses downstairs in ten evening but as soon as we put him in the Moses in our bedroom he's fast asleep. I think I'm just being silly for feeling guilty. It's better for him to get his sleep and it means he only wakes up once during the night. Last night he slept 20.30-04.05 then got up at 7 so I'm hoping he's going to keep pushing that 4am feed back until he sleeps through :) x

Back