Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Need some advice please girls - Bella isn't eating enough. She weighed 12.12 last time I got her weighed (last week) and is 10.5 weeks old. According to the back of the milk pack she should be having 5x6 oz feeds within 24 hours. She has 5 feeds in 24 hours but tends to drink around 4-5 oz but today has been so uninterested in her Feds and has just drunk 2.5oz before bed :( she is a really good sleeper (gawd I hope I don't jinx myself) and usually sleeps from around 8 and prob won't wake up until between 5.30 and 6.30am when she will have a bottle then go straight back to sleep until around 10 - 10.30 when I often have to wake her for her next feed.

There isn't anywhere else that I can fit a feed in as she then goes every 3 hours until bed time again

6am ;wake up for bottle)
10.30am (I have to wake her)
1.30pm
4.30pm
7.30pm (bedtime)

Quite often she looks discusted when I offer her the bottle back half way through after burping and she is constantly turning her head about looking all about, even if I feed her in the dark she is having a nose around!

Have been advised to try her on teet 2 as she is prob getting bored and having to work too hard but she really suffers with trapped wind and don't want this to make it worse! Don't know what to do :(

Today she has only totaled 21.5 oz - should be 30!!

I wouldn't worry too much hun, it may just be a blip. The side of the box is just a guide, in the same way we all eat different amounts and have different appetites. If she's gaining weight fine I wouldn't worry. Maybe try her on the next teat up and see how you go, and as Sarah says, let her have as much as she wants. Being nearly 3months old she shouldn't suffer as much with wind as she would have done when she was a tiny tot x

We hVe the opposite problem nelly. Oliver has 7oz bottles at a time and during the day has one every 3 hours and about every 4 hours at night. He is the same age as Bella and was 13.1 one and a half weeks ago. I've just come to the conclusion that each baby is different and require different amount of milk. As long as she is alert and gaining weight then all is fine. Bella is definitely sleeping better than Oliver. Am jealous!

Ha ha you're in for a shock if she changes or you have another baby who doesn't like their sleep as much. X

I know. Ill just have to pray baby number 2 loves its sleep as much as Daddy and Éabha. And also that Éabha sticks to her sleeping pattern :)

I agree every baby is different and i think you just need to go by the individual baby. If I went on what I "should" do for a 6-7 week old then we would have problems!!!

Amelia is 6w+4d old today, today her weight is 12lbs 4oz, she drinks anywhere between 3-7oz at each feed (purely depends on how much she wants!! Yesterday she wanted 5-6oz at every feed, today she wanted 3-4oz with the exception of the 9pm bedtime bottle just now which was 7oz!)

She is also on a mixture of no2 and vari-flow teats. When we changed the teats from no1, we tried both to see which one she prefers/works better - turns out no2 seems to be the teat of choice! Even with vari-flow shes sucking the teat so hard it goes in on itself - the no2 doesnt do that.

Anyway, what im trying to say is - its great for websites to say an x week old baby should be doing this, that, and the other - but there are lots of us on here who have all had babies from December to now, all close in age - some only a matter of days and how different are they all?!?! Take Kim and Frances just for example - their babies are 2-4 weeks older than mine, but my baby is heavier - therefore the routine, the needs of the three individual bubbas will all be completely different.

I think just go by your individual baby and what that baby is wanting. :) xxx

Jess the food goes by weight not age hun

The "recommended" is worked out by taking the weight in lbs and multiplying by 2.5... This gives u the number of ounces per day recommended for the weight of the baby... It's just a rule of thumb tho...

If it carried on a long while that she was under eating I'd bring her to the health nurse r doc. But if imagine it'll go back to normal in a couple of days

Thanks so much for all of your replies, I love this site for the advice and reassurance :)
Going to put her on teat 2 from tmrw and see how we go. x

Wow this thread moves to fast for me sometimes!! Lol.

Regards babies routines. Jacob basically made his own routine that I just used to change slightly as he got older. I can't remember exactly now he's almost 3 years but since been about 10 months he's been in bed for 7pm and up around 6-7am. But since been about 2 years he likes to sleep anywhere to 7am-9am which is great!!

As for the feeding, maybe try the next level flow teats. Jacob got lazy and fedup with taking so long for a bottle but when I swapped he was much happier. Also her weight and size will go on how much she 'should' be having. Yet that is still different as were all different. Xx

Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

Hi girls

I seem to have a bit of a tickly cough and was wondering if I can take any of the cough medicines available?

Hi girls

I seem to have a bit of a tickly cough and was wondering if I can take any of the cough medicines available?

U can get glycerine b honey which soothes your throat n has no "medicine" in it so is completely safe :)

Is anyone else experiencing the postpartum hair loss? Mine was coming out in clumps in the shower this morning! :/

No Dougal I don't think you can it's best to ask the pharmacist though xx

Is anyone else experiencing the postpartum hair loss? Mine was coming out in clumps in the shower this morning! :/

Nope but am still taking my pregnacare vitamins
Have been told if u carry on taking iron it can prevent / ease it

Yup. I didn't get it after Cole was born but have started in the past 2-3 weeks! Dammit x

Nope but am still taking my pregnacare vitamins Have been told if u carry on taking iron it can prevent / ease it

Me too, I never stopped mine as it says you can take them during bf and you are recommended to have vit d anyway. Plus I was on high dosage iron tablets as I was anaemic when I left hospital!

It's only started for me in the last week or so, maybe you have it still to come. I always thought it happened straight after the birth but apparently not...

Yup. I didn't get it after Cole was born but have started in the past 2-3 weeks! Dammit x

It's rubbish eh! Mine started about a week ago but I had tonnes come out this morning. Not impressed! My hairdresser said last time I went that it's because you don't lose the hair that you normally would when you're pregnant so it all comes out afterwards. It just looks worse cos it's happening all at once! I think that must be true cos otherwise I would be bald with the amount that's coming out lol ;) x

Yep glycerin and honey is all I can take, I popped into Tesco and asked the pharmasict.
So I shall take that and hope it takes the edge off it.

Yep glycerin and honey is all I can take, I popped into Tesco and asked the pharmasict. So I shall take that and hope it takes the edge off it.

The glycerin and honey is actually pretty nice :)
I use it often at night time when I've got a thickly throat
X

The glycerin and honey is actually pretty nice :)
I use it often at night time when I've got a thickly throat
X
It is actually. Even if it doesn't work its tasty haha :) x

Back