Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Boxes of 98 in aldi for £7.29 at the minute, I have used aldi, boots and pampers, boots seem small, but I've had no problems with either pampers or Aldis nappies no leaks etc, I like Frances change before every feed and then whenever she needs it, I use around 42 nappies a week

Boots are definitely quite small but that suits my little guy ;) I've not tried Aldi yet but plan on doing as they are dirt cheap! Pampers are great but pricy. Only ones I disliked were Naty (gave Seth nappy rash) and sainsburys (always leaked).

Boxes of 98 in aldi for £7.29 at the minute, I have used aldi, boots and pampers, boots seem small, but I've had no problems with either pampers or Aldis nappies no leaks etc, I like Frances change before every feed and then whenever she needs it, I use around 42 nappies a week

Thanks Hun, my mother inlaw has just got me a box but only had size 3 lol so will be ages until she is in them. but least they'll get used. So if I buy 3 a wk which is 72 which will be plenty that's only 4.50 a wk, bargain! she has also bought me the travel cot, on offer at 19.99. Wanted the cream n grey one but only had the multi coloured one left xx

Sarah, I think you have To go with what you and Tom think is best for Cole. I'm pretty sure we won't wait til 6 months, simply becauSe I suspect milk enough will not be enough for Oliver but will try wait as long as I can. A friend has a 4.5month old baby and is giving him puréed veg and fruit as well as his milk. He has reflux problems and wasn't putting on weight so was advised to and he loves it and is now gaining weight. I don't think there is a wrong or right answer, just a unique one for each baby. They say wait 17 weeks for baby's tummy to be ready. If you want to introduce food then id do it slowly an continue all milks as you do now x

A friend of a friend put her babies on solids from pretty much 3 months.. They're all fine.. Although are quite "big" kids... But shew as giving them weetabix at 3 months so.........
You know Cole better than anyone Sarah so only you (and Tom) can know what's right for him... :)

Penny I think Oliver will be on solids allot sooner than most of our babies as he's such a big baby... its a long way to his tummy the length of him (I mean that in the nicest way obviously.. Just in case that reads cheeky) x

My "plan" is to hold off until at least 6 months to start weaning Éabha but if milk isn't enough for her earlier than that... I'll wean earlier.. A book or stats can't tell me when my baby is ready.. She'll tell me :) Tho she's so teeny I'll prob get to 12 months lol

Kerry I go through about 2 packs a week hun...
As far as I know, and this is just going by my Aldi branch, they only come in 24 packs.. I don't think they do boxes of NB size.. But am open to correction on that.. But my branch have never had a bigger size pack

Advice I was given was to not get in too many of a specific in case they don't agree with their skin... My niece n nephews were allergic to Pampers and Huggies nappies.. They gave them awful nappy rash.. They could only wear the cheaper than cheap tesco own brand nappies (this was 16 years ago!!) which is why I have tried out so many different packs.. I didn't want to stock up on a specific brand and be stuck with them.. But I wanted to be stocked up... So I bought a few different packs...
Same applies to baby formula.. If you're bottle feeding.. :)

Boots are definitely quite small but that suits my little guy ;) I've not tried Aldi yet but plan on doing as they are dirt cheap! Pampers are great but pricy. Only ones I disliked were Naty (gave Seth nappy rash) and sainsburys (always leaked).

We had problems with boots, kept leaking but maybe I didn't have the right size. Didn't like morrisons either for leakage issues. Pampers are good and currently cheaper at asda as part of baby event. I've got sains ones to try. Currently if you spend £50 you get a free pack of nappies. I liked aldi ones but not an aldi near me so only had the sample ones.

A friend of a friend put her babies on solids from pretty much 3 months.. They're all fine.. Although are quite "big" kids... But shew as giving them weetabix at 3 months so......... You know Cole better than anyone Sarah so only you (and Tom) can know what's right for him... :) Penny I think Oliver will be on solids allot sooner than most of our babies as he's such a big baby... its a long way to his tummy the length of him (I mean that in the nicest way obviously.. Just in case that reads cheeky) x My "plan" is to hold off until at least 6 months to start weaning Éabha but if milk isn't enough for her earlier than that... I'll wean earlier.. A book or stats can't tell me when my baby is ready.. She'll tell me :) Tho she's so teeny I'll prob get to 12 months lol Kerry I go through about 2 packs a week hun... As far as I know, and this is just going by my Aldi branch, they only come in 24 packs.. I don't think they do boxes of NB size.. But am open to correction on that.. But my branch have never had a bigger size pack Advice I was given was to not get in too many of a specific in case they don't agree with their skin... My niece n nephews were allergic to Pampers and Huggies nappies.. They gave them awful nappy rash.. They could only wear the cheaper than cheap tesco own brand nappies (this was 16 years ago!!) which is why I have tried out so many different packs.. I didn't want to stock up on a specific brand and be stuck with them.. But I wanted to be stocked up... So I bought a few different packs... Same applies to baby formula.. If you're bottle feeding.. :)

No offence taken. My boy is a biggun ;)
I tho you're right. Books and HV can give advice but only parents can really tell when their baby is ready. X

Girls who bottle feed- how long does one tin (900g Aptamil or equivalent) last you?
I've got one tin of Aptamil and one starter pack (the ready made ones) for my hospital bag, that should be enough to start with?

Girls who bottle feed- how long does one tin (900g Aptamil or equivalent) last you? I've got one tin of Aptamil and one starter pack (the ready made ones) for my hospital bag, that should be enough to start with?

Definitely. Oliver drinks loads and one tub lasts us about 5-7 days. To begin with though it will last double that if not longer id say x

Waiting till 6 mths is best.. Even if they are showing interest in your food :)

Why weaning early can be risky
The Department of Health recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of your baby's life. This is because most babies aren't ready for solid food before then.
There are several reasons for this:

Digestion: Babies under 6 months can't make all the enzymes needed to digest a variety of foods. Their kidneys also might not be mature enough to cope with foods other than milk.

Coordination: Babies need to be able to hold their heads steady and swallow their food. Babies under six months won't have developed this posture and coordination.

If babies are introduced to solid foods too early, they may be at more risk of:
Respiratory illness, celiac disease and wheezing
Developing allergies
Being overweight - introducing solid foods early is associated with an increased percentage of body fat

Why six months is around the right time for weaning
By the time they are six months old, the stores of iron babies are born with are running out - they need to get new iron from food.

Babies also need to take more and more milk to meet their needs - solid food is more concentrated.

Coordination-wise, your baby is more likely to be ready, too:

His jaw and tongue will have developed enough to cope with eating and swallowing food - making weaning a lot less messy
The process of dealing with food helps a baby's mouth and tongue to develop - helping her get ready for talking
Plus, most babies will have begun to cut teeth.

http://www.bounty.com/weaning/when-to-wean

A friend of a friend put her babies on solids from pretty much 3 months.. They're all fine.. Although are quite "big" kids... But shew as giving them weetabix at 3 months so......... You know Cole better than anyone Sarah so only you (and Tom) can know what's right for him... :) Penny I think Oliver will be on solids allot sooner than most of our babies as he's such a big baby... its a long way to his tummy the length of him (I mean that in the nicest way obviously.. Just in case that reads cheeky) x My "plan" is to hold off until at least 6 months to start weaning Éabha but if milk isn't enough for her earlier than that... I'll wean earlier.. A book or stats can't tell me when my baby is ready.. She'll tell me :) Tho she's so teeny I'll prob get to 12 months lol Kerry I go through about 2 packs a week hun... As far as I know, and this is just going by my Aldi branch, they only come in 24 packs.. I don't think they do boxes of NB size.. But am open to correction on that.. But my branch have never had a bigger size pack Advice I was given was to not get in too many of a specific in case they don't agree with their skin... My niece n nephews were allergic to Pampers and Huggies nappies.. They gave them awful nappy rash.. They could only wear the cheaper than cheap tesco own brand nappies (this was 16 years ago!!) which is why I have tried out so many different packs.. I didn't want to stock up on a specific brand and be stuck with them.. But I wanted to be stocked up... So I bought a few different packs... Same applies to baby formula.. If you're bottle feeding.. :)

Thanks Hun great advice, I am planning on bottle feeding. Planning on trying the aptimal n see how she goes with that xx

Girls who bottle feed- how long does one tin (900g Aptamil or equivalent) last you?
I've got one tin of Aptamil and one starter pack (the ready made ones) for my hospital bag, that should be enough to start with?

Dougal I'm using aptimil. Éabha is on 5-6oz bottles now n it lasts about 10 days...
Initially baby will b on about 3oz so a box will last at least 2 weeks :)

I heard lots of good things from the Aldi nappies, mums net have some good reviews on them. Can u buy a big box of them? I can only see the 24 pack online. 1.49 for 24, bargain lol xx

I found the Aldi ones brilliant when Bella was newborn and they are so cheap compared to pampers at £6 a pack! :-o
As she is now on size 2 and I can never find that size in Aldi I get tesco own which I think are £2.40 and they are really good too x

Ugh! I have a rule where it's either me or Pete that feeds Eva as I believe it's good bonding time for my mummy and daddy, however my mum has just walked out of my house in a huff because I said no to her feeding Eva, she's my daughter surely it's my choice? Or am I just being a cow? If I had managed to breast feed like id wanted too this wouldn't even be an issue :(

Girls who bottle feed- how long does one tin (900g Aptamil or equivalent) last you? I've got one tin of Aptamil and one starter pack (the ready made ones) for my hospital bag, that should be enough to start with?

The tubs lasted us around 7-8 days when we fully went into bottle feeding. (He was around 4 weeks old then)
The reason they didn't last us longer was because I used to throw away what he left straight after a feed, then 30 mins later we were making another!! Lol

By the time Stevie went onto his 'special milk' 2 tubs were lasting us around 10 days max!! (That milk split very quickly tho so lots wasted!!) xx

Ladies who breast feed how long did you wait before expressing ?
My midwife said to avoid as long as possible so that baby does not get confused between the sucking motion of a teat and a nipple but my boobs are so sore I would really like to try giving a few feeds by bottle just at nighttime.
I also have to take ruby out on Sunday where it might not be appropriate to breast feed.
I'm just worried that if I start giving her the odd expressed bottle that she may not go back onto bf.
thanks in advance

Ladies who breast feed how long did you wait before expressing ? My midwife said to avoid as long as possible so that baby does not get confused between the sucking motion of a teat and a nipple but my boobs are so sore I would really like to try giving a few feeds by bottle just at nighttime. I also have to take ruby out on Sunday where it might not be appropriate to breast feed. I'm just worried that if I start giving her the odd expressed bottle that she may not go back onto bf. thanks in advance

I believe you need to build up your supply so shouldn't express to begin with. There is also the confusion for baby between boob and teat. Someone else may be able to advise better though xxx

Ugh! I have a rule where it's either me or Pete that feeds Eva as I believe it's good bonding time for my mummy and daddy, however my mum has just walked out of my house in a huff because I said no to her feeding Eva, she's my daughter surely it's my choice? Or am I just being a cow? If I had managed to breast feed like id wanted too this wouldn't even be an issue :(

It is very definitely your choice. I'm sure you have, but Have you explained why not? And that if you were bfing she wouldn't be able to?
How old is she? Not that it matters as such I guess xx

My midwife said to avoid as long as possible so that baby does not get confused between the sucking motion of a teat and a nipple but my boobs are so sore I would really like to try giving a few feeds by bottle just at nighttime.
I also have to take ruby out on Sunday where it might not be appropriate to breast feed.
I'm just worried that if I start giving her the odd expressed bottle that she may not go back onto bf.
thanks in advance

I think probably a week or so before I gave it a go? Maybe longer? My milk was definitely in I remember that much.
Do you mind me asking what's sore? Is it your nipples or your actual boobs?
Problem is, if you start trying to pump now you will end up really engorged as it will overstimulate them as currently they are adjusting to providing milk for her needs and it's the whole supply and demand thing..
What are you up to on Sunday? Could you go elsewhere if she needs to feed? I've fed several times in the car when we've been out at things!
I would say giving a bottle at the moment won't cause any harm as such as long as it's not for hours on end as she's still tiny and probably won't struggle to adjust. However, you might find she refuses it anyway so if you are intending to bottle feed on Sunday do a practice run first so you know she takes it rather than stressing on Sunday that she won't and you're not prepared for it.
Xx

It's totally YOUR choice!! Maybe shes a bit gutted as wanted to feed her granddaughter but it's your baby and you choice as to why you decide on things.
Just explain next time, she should understand. Xx

thanks in advance

I'd like to know too. I wanted to BF but read so much into it I found it would be too much hard work with having a 3 year old too. And the help from hubby feeding would be great..

But I've changed my mind and I do want to try BF in hospital and see how it goes for carrying on. I mentioned this to Rob again and he seemed abit annoyed about my choice again :(

I'd love to BF but express mainly?? Can you do that straight away? Xx

Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

The 1st liquid you will get from your boobs for the 1st 3-4 days will be colostrum. It take about 4-5 days for your milk to come through.

During that time your baby will feed constantly for the 1st -4 days make sure that when baby is latched on that she/ he is not just sucking on just your nipple but has a good mouthful of the area around your nipple too. If it's is hurting use your finger to unlatch baby by sliding it in her mouth and removing her ., then try again :) after feeding express a little bit of liquid with your hand and rub around the nipple and let air dry.

Also babies who are breast feed do get wind - maybe not as much as FF so remember to wind after each feed.

A cross body hold for breast feeding is often easier to start with.

http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/breastfeeding-positions.html

If you are going out with little one in public - use a blanket to cover you and try to find a quite place to feed.

I feed both my boys for 14 months both at home and in public, even in the supermarket :) you get used to just sitting down and feeding baby with a blanket/ muslin as cover, if anyone said anything I just said excuse me? With a glare lol it was not like my boobs were on display and in general most people/ restaurants were good and the shopping places had mum and baby rooms .. Changing rooms make a good place to feed to lol. Just let the attendant know

Back