Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I need some advice ladies Oliver is drinking 4oz bottles. Last night he was up at 1, 4 and now having another which is a lot for him. That's 3 already and he's only meant to have 6 a day!!! He just seems to want milk constantly! Is this normal for a 2 week old? Hubby wants me to put him on hungry baby formula but I don't know if I should? Is Oliver too young? Please help, I need some sleep! X

Our Oliver was the same. My advice would be not to go on hungry baby yet. Could you just up to 5oz and see if he goes longer? Otherwise just stay as you are. It's only a guide. Oliver is a big baby like my Oliver so he probably just needs more. Personally I don't think it's an issue. Oliver has always fed roughly every 3 hours. X

I need some advice ladies

Oliver is drinking 4oz bottles.
Last night he was up at 1, 4 and now having another which is a lot for him.
That's 3 already and he's only meant to have 6 a day!!!
He just seems to want milk constantly!
Is this normal for a 2 week old?
Hubby wants me to put him on hungry baby formula but I don't know if I should?
Is Oliver too young?
Please help, I need some sleep! X

Hey Kirsty, I would agree with the others. The first 4 weeks or so Bella was having up to 10 bottles a day! It evened out to the usual 5 in 24 hours. Personally I found that hungry baby didn't work for us and it upset her tummy. Having said that it was great for my nephew..
As far as I'm aware it's very normal for such a new baby to feed on demand (at least every 2-3 hours) I know I was shattered for the first 8 weeks! ;) xx

Cole was the same. We put him on hungry baby milk at about three months because he was taking a full bottle but was still hungry 2 hours later. I agree with Penny, try putting him up an oz and see if that helps. But Cole was going every three hours until we started weaning him so it might just be that's how he is x

Yeah I would agree with the others Kirsty, just feed him when he's hungry at the moment and maybe increase it to 5oz so he can have it if he wants. It will settle down in a bit. He's a big boy so it will take more to feed him than a tiddly 6lb baby. Stick with it, it does improve! X

Amelia was on about 8 or 9 bottles during the day in the beginning, but now she's on 5x 8oz bottles in the 24hrs. It does even out (and she still has them every 3 hours), so I'd agree with the others and increase the milk x :)

Agree with everyone else
Feel like I'm starting Eabha listening to how much your babies drink :-/
Generally she'd have a bottle at 11, 3 and 7! All 7oz! So WAY under her recommended. But no matter what she wouldn't take any more for me. The last 2 mornings she's had a 4th bottle any she woke early for one. N if ever she wanted 1 in between, she got it. But she's growing steadily, is happy n healthy so she must be getting enough. Right?!

Thanks ladies- I've actually just got off the phone to my HV and she agreed on increasing the milk.
She's pro breast feeding, unfortunately for me as it's all she talks about!!
So she was totally against the hungry baby formula until at least 6 weeks.
He last had a bottle just before 8 this morning and is still sound asleep so that's an improvement, got a 5oz bottle ready for him when he wakes up!
HV also said to try giving him water inbetween bottles so going to give that a whirl today too.
Must say tho, I may not be getting any sleep but the love I feel for him is like nothing I've ever experienced before :)
And I'd gladly go through it all again :) x

Do you all give your babies water? I've been thinking I should but not sure when or how much ?

Do you all give your babies water? I've been thinking I should but not sure when or how much ?

Yep and I have since Cole got a sore/hoarse throat when he was about 4-5 weeks old. I started off just giving him the odd sip between bottles, no more than half an ounce a day. Then gradually upped it. Now he has a drink of water after his meals which probably adds up to about 3oz a day. I don't set an amount, I just let him decide. I offer him it a bit more when it's hot and we're out and about too. X

I do most days, but just depends on Amelia really. Yesterday she was sleepy and slept pretty much between feeds so didn't get a chance to give her much, maybe half an ounce or so?? Some days she will have a couple of ounces, some a little more, some days nout! She either wolfs it down or doesn't want to know! lol xx

I don't give Thomas any x

I don't give Bella water any more as I found it was stopping her drinking her milk.. Now she is a bit older though and it's warm I should prob try again.
Probably coincidence but when she really suffered with wind I used to give her water mixed with gripe water and it seemed to make her worse, I stopped it and she improved instantly so now I'm scared to try again! My sister gave my 3 month old nephew baby apple juice (1oz mixed with 7oz water) today, apparently she gave it to all of her children and he loved it! She's on baby number 4 and doesn't stick to the "rules" like me ;)

Not sure if anyone will know but worth a try I tried googling it but no luck, I'm going away in Friday and when I'm travelling back I will be 28 weeks so I have a form from the insurance that I need to fill out and it has to be done on Friday :/ does my midwife sign and stamp it? It sais on it doctor but I'm pretty sure it means midwife, also is it worth if I take my red book away with me? X

Not sure if anyone will know but worth a try I tried googling it but no luck, I'm going away in Friday and when I'm travelling back I will be 28 weeks so I have a form from the insurance that I need to fill out and it has to be done on Friday :/ does my midwife sign and stamp it? It sais on it doctor but I'm pretty sure it means midwife, also is it worth if I take my red book away with me? X

Not sure about the form but I'd definitely take your maternity notes with you x

I just want to say how much I admire you ladies that have managed to get back on a 'diet' (SW/WW etc) so soon after giving birth.
I seem to be eating excessive amounts of chocolate every day, just through sheer exhaustion and the need for sugar so I can totally understand how hard it must be to stick to a plan.
Not that I'm trying to at the min, but I can tell its gonna be hard when I do.
I think I will need the lightbulb moment when something just clicks- I just hope it's soon!!

For the last couple of weeks Oliver is struggling to take his milk. He used to drain 7oz no problem. Sometimes would cry because he wanted more. Now he takes about 1-2oz and then about half hour later will take a bit more. Roughly he is taking 4oz. Over the 24 hour period he has near enough what is recommended but that's only because he is up at least 3 times in the night.

I'm guessing he is being affected by the heat and teething, but should I be worried. We have started giving him one or two puréed foods a day. Could this be why he isn't drinking his milk?

Sorry not sure Penny but didn't want to read and run!
Can you add more milk to his purée and get it in that way? Or are you giving him water? Could maybe drop it and he might take more milk in one go x

Back