Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

We found that his sleepsuit or vest was squishing the full bit of the nappy and pushing the wee out over the top, as daft as that sounds. If Cole sleeps in a vest we now only close one popper so the nappy has room to bulge out to the side and isn't compressed. And if he sleeps in a sleepsuit we get ones that are a size up and leave the couple of poppers around his nappy undone so the nappy can expand. We've not had a leaky nappy since xx

That was it. Thanks. Yes the nappy is bulging at the top and so leaks on his belly!! Will keep a popper or two open. At the moment he is just wearing a vest because his room is pretty warm. Thanks Hun x

On the weaning front ladies- how often did you try new things? And how often did you change what your little ones were having?

My HV said to give him something for 3 days before changing as it helps with spotting allergies and gives his little tummy less chance to get upset.
Thing is once those 3 days are up, do I change for the sake of it, or stick to what's been having?
He had baby rice for 3 says, but wasn't keen, so he's now on sweet potato- today is day 3 and he really likes it...
So I'm unsure if I should try him with something new tomorrow or not??
And how long do you keep to just the one 'snack' a day before introducing, say, breakfast or lunch?

On the weaning front ladies- how often did you try new things? And how often did you change what your little ones were having? My HV said to give him something for 3 days before changing as it helps with spotting allergies and gives his little tummy less chance to get upset. Thing is once those 3 days are up, do I change for the sake of it, or stick to what's been having? He had baby rice for 3 says, but wasn't keen, so he's now on sweet potato- today is day 3 and he really likes it... So I'm unsure if I should try him with something new tomorrow or not?? And how long do you keep to just the one 'snack' a day before introducing, say, breakfast or lunch?

Hiya Hun, I've just bought the Annabel karmels baby and toddler meal planner. It's great because it has meal plans when weaning ect n tells u how much to give. It's got some fab recipes that I prob wouldn't have even thought of putting together. Think it was about 8£ from amazon xx

I personally stuck to baby rice with a bit of purée or baby porridge for the first 2-3 weeks. Their digestive systems aren't mature enough for food until 17 weeks and even then they need to get used to things gradually. Once Cole had got used to eating and his tummy had got used to food as opposed to milk I started trying the odd new purée, maybe twice a week. But for the first few weeks I didn't want to overload him with too many new flavours or risk it unsettling his stomach. Then once he's been having one 'meal' a day for about three weeks I introduced a second meal.

On the weaning front ladies- how often did you try new things? And how often did you change what your little ones were having?

My HV said to give him something for 3 days before changing as it helps with spotting allergies and gives his little tummy less chance to get upset.
Thing is once those 3 days are up, do I change for the sake of it, or stick to what's been having?
He had baby rice for 3 says, but wasn't keen, so he's now on sweet potato- today is day 3 and he really likes it...
So I'm unsure if I should try him with something new tomorrow or not??
And how long do you keep to just the one 'snack' a day before introducing, say, breakfast or lunch?

Same as Sarah. Stuck with sunshine orange for a couple of weeks. Then started with veg. Then fruit...
I stuck with 1 meal for a good while. She was at least 6 months before a gave 2 meals n have only recently upped her to 3

I wouldn't stick to one food either coz he likes... Try give as much variety as possible to get him used to diff tastes n textures. One thing new at least 3 days apart...
This is just my opinion... U kno ur little man best :)
Sounds like he's loving food :)

Yup 21?weeks here and still on porridge and carrot purée. I wouldn't want to give anything else because of the medical issues it can cause

Yeah take it slowly would be my advice especially as you're starting really early. I know you have no option and it's going well but I would stick to veg and fruit purées for a while. Maybe try carrot in a day or two? Or butternut squash? Or you could try apple?
Glad it's still goin well anyway xx

Thanks for all the advice ladies- you're all fab :)

He really does love food!
Plus we've had no bad reactions to anything... So I'm gonna stick with sweet potato for today at least just cos I have some to use up and then I'm going to try carrot...
I'm going to hold off giving fruit for a little while, or he'll end up with a sweet tooth like his mummy :)
X

Good idea, it's not just the reaction now it's the bowel disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity that are linked to early weaning that worry me! So I'm hoping the closer I can get to 6 months the better his chances of avoiding these will be. X

Just after I wrote that post, little man woke up with a stinky nappy- his 3rd in 24 hours!!!
Nothign unusual about that except he normally has one every other day and is as regular as clockwork.
Sorry for tmi but the contents were fine, not runny, but my HV did say if anything changes like the frequently of stinky nappies to call her.
So I did.
She basically thinks it's just his little tummy getting used to something other than milk... But she has advised to stop the sweet potato for a few days to see if it settles back to 'normal' so she's suggested trying porridge as he wasn't a fan of the rice.
So from today he's going to have banana porridge :) x

Just after I wrote that post, little man woke up with a stinky nappy- his 3rd in 24 hours!!!
Nothign unusual about that except he normally has one every other day and is as regular as clockwork.
Sorry for tmi but the contents were fine, not runny, but my HV did say if anything changes like the frequently of stinky nappies to call her.
So I did.
She basically thinks it's just his little tummy getting used to something other than milk... But she has advised to stop the sweet potato for a few days to see if it settles back to 'normal' so she's suggested trying porridge as he wasn't a fan of the rice.
So from today he's going to have banana porridge :) x
Éabha's nappies went a little green and sometimes like oily when we first started weaning.. She'd only have 1 nappy like that maybe every other day for about a week... HV said to continue as we were but we were just having sunshine orange at that stage...

Hi yeah we are , i love it. Still a bit sore tho ha ha but Brookes good, her little war wounds from forceps are going down just posted my story x

Just finished reading :)
You are right though.. although all your dignity goes out the window, as much as people say "oh you won't care bla bla bla" you do!! Well I did anyway... And like you I tried to hold on to as much as I could for as long as I could..

Having a fussy eater is so frustrating!!

Ha Sarah!

Ladies how do you deal with going out when little ones need a nap?
Yesterday I left Ben with Mil and she didn't know to put him down so we were up most of the night. This morning I've been to fat club and he was due a nap at 10.30 but there was too much going on and he's been screaming now for over an hour I've had to give him milk in the end to calm him. Do I just have to stay in all the time? Xx

Ha Sarah! Ladies how do you deal with going out when little ones need a nap? Yesterday I left Ben with Mil and she didn't know to put him down so we were up most of the night. This morning I've been to fat club and he was due a nap at 10.30 but there was too much going on and he's been screaming now for over an hour I've had to give him milk in the end to calm him. Do I just have to stay in all the time? Xx
I must say that Oliver is pretty good and will sleep in his buggy and car seat, he likes to sleep when it's noisy strangely enough so I never have that problem when I go to fat club.
As for Mum and MIL, I trained them lol! X

He will sleep in buggy and car seat for about 30 mins but he has 2 hour nap in morning and 1.5 in afternoon. MIL knows what she's meant to do..... I won't say anymore!! X

Back