Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Any update Jess? Hope you are ok xx

Thanks Katie and Susie for your advice :) xx They couldnt bring my appt forward, but the doc had a good look at me and he definitely thinks its a gastro illness. My blood pressure was quite low, but he said thats probably due to dehydration as my wee was very concentrated too. Doesnt think its ectopic which is good! x

Finally feel better nausea/sickness wise this morning but I have a pounding head which I'm assuming is lack of food/fluids/sleep so hopefully I can up my water today without feeling so sick x John has been fab looking after Amelia for me, bless him. Just miss her as I cant have cuddles :( xx

So, 4-5 weeks until scan, hopefully its all ok xx

Weaning.... What age did you do this?
I tried Connor on baby rice around 4 months. He wasn't ready.
Tried again few weeks later & it was like he just didn't like it.
I've started him on Rusk. You can see he's tasting it when got some in his mouth but hes just not interested at all & won't even open mouth to feed :/
He's just turned 21 weeks. (5months on the 8th) xx

Weaning.... What age did you do this? I tried Connor on baby rice around 4 months. He wasn't ready. Tried again few weeks later & it was like he just didn't like it. I've started him on Rusk. You can see he's tasting it when got some in his mouth but hes just not interested at all & won't even open mouth to feed :/ He's just turned 21 weeks. (5months on the 8th) xx

We weaned Cole at 17 weeks but he was totally ready, chewing from the start and loved it!! A friend tried her baby a few times but ended up waiting until 6 months because she wasn't ready. I'd say if he's not opening his mouth and showing no interest then he probably isn't ready yet. Just keep trying him every now and then and he'll start when he's ready xx

Agree with Sarah he doesn't sound ready, we weaned at 20 weeks because of reflux but I wished we could have waited xx

Yeah I thought that too. He does chew his hands and toys a lot so I tried again but he's just not interested.
So different to jacob as he couldn't get enough at 4months lol. Connor has no intrest. I also thought with been a bigger baby he would. Proves me wrong! X

We started at 17 weeks too as advised from PHN as Éabha wasn't drinking enough formula so to up her cal intake.. She still drank the same amount of bottles but was having food too so was getting enough.. I was all set for waiting til 6 months tho.. but it didn't happen that way...
She loved it from the start.. We started on Sunshine Orange as advised (from a friend). She had that once a day for week or more.. Then I gave pureed carrots for a week.. Then parsnip for a week.. Then BNS for a week..
Certainly sounds like he's not yet ready... have you tried just rubbing a little on his lips and letting him get the taste first for a day r 2 and then trying him?? No harm to hold off though.. Over here the PHN recommends starting any time between 4 - 6 months... Though they recommend formula fed babies start at 17 weeks (dunno why there's a difference in age for formula n breast fed?!)

I started at 14 weeks on HV advice due to Oliver taking excessive amounts of formula and I would say it took a few weeks before he 'got' it. He hated baby rice, he really loves porridge with fruit!
He's now 23 weeks and has porridge with fruit purée for breakfast (after his milk) and veg purée for dinner.
I wanted to wait until 6 months so I could start with baby led weaning but it didn't happen like that for us x

Girls- when did you start giving your little ones a cup for water instead of a bottle?
I've got one for Oliver and I've given it to him a couple of times and he's got a great grip but he likes to just bang it against the tray of his highchair or his forehead :rolleyes:
He's 23 weeks (5 months) and I'm using a TT one.
Any advice?

Girls- when did you start giving your little ones a cup for water instead of a bottle? I've got one for Oliver and I've given it to him a couple of times and he's got a great grip but he likes to just bang it against the tray of his highchair or his forehead :rolleyes: He's 23 weeks (5 months) and I'm using a TT one. Any advice?

Cole's had one since about 5 months too and has always drunk out of it fine. He still bangs it on his highchair though, even though he knows what to do with it. I think they like the noise and mess. We've got a TT one too. X

Cole's had one since about 5 months too and has always drunk out of it fine. He still bangs it on his highchair though, even though he knows what to do with it. I think they like the noise and mess. We've got a TT one too. X
Yeh I think he'll be good with it now as his hand to mouth coordination is very good- he regularly pushes my hand (holding the spoon!) towards his mouth and grabs his bottles and can drink from then unaided.
Will try again today, he does like to make a noise- he bangs everything against the tray and likes to hit himself in the face with his toys :rolleyes: x

Yeh I think he'll be good with it now as his hand to mouth coordination is very good- he regularly pushes my hand (holding the spoon!) towards his mouth and grabs his bottles and can drink from then unaided. Will try again today, he does like to make a noise- he bangs everything against the tray and likes to hit himself in the face with his toys :rolleyes: x

Cole bashes his on our leather storage ottoman in the living room. He loves playing in the water that spills. Oliver will be drinking from it in no time. Cole first drank from his when Tom was on annual leave which was the second week of June so 5 and half months. Took him a bit longer to figure out tipping his head back but now he tips his head back so far he topples over ;) x

We started at 17 weeks too as advised from PHN as Éabha wasn't drinking enough formula so to up her cal intake.. She still drank the same amount of bottles but was having food too so was getting enough.. I was all set for waiting til 6 months tho.. but it didn't happen that way...
She loved it from the start.. We started on Sunshine Orange as advised (from a friend). She had that once a day for week or more.. Then I gave pureed carrots for a week.. Then parsnip for a week.. Then BNS for a week..
Certainly sounds like he's not yet ready... have you tried just rubbing a little on his lips and letting him get the taste first for a day r 2 and then trying him?? No harm to hold off though.. Over here the PHN recommends starting any time between 4 - 6 months... Though they recommend formula fed babies start at 17 weeks (dunno why there's a difference in age for formula n breast fed?!)
Yeah I'd put on his lips to taste it which he did sometimes but just never opening his mouth to eat it. No interest :/ il speak to HV today but as everyone says, he's not ready so il wait. Guess he's going to be a baby led weaning one!. :)

I started at 14 weeks on HV advice due to Oliver taking excessive amounts of formula and I would say it took a few weeks before he 'got' it. He hated baby rice, he really loves porridge with fruit!
He's now 23 weeks and has porridge with fruit purée for breakfast (after his milk) and veg purée for dinner.
I wanted to wait until 6 months so I could start with baby led weaning but it didn't happen like that for us x
Yeah it's crazy how some start and want it so young. Then there's Connor who doesn't want any! X

Girls- when did you start giving your little ones a cup for water instead of a bottle?
I've got one for Oliver and I've given it to him a couple of times and he's got a great grip but he likes to just bang it against the tray of his highchair or his forehead :rolleyes:
He's 23 weeks (5 months) and I'm using a TT one.
Any advice?

I didn't.. Éabha did.. But it only in the last maybe 2 months... She dropped her lunch time bottle and has water now instead... But she's still have 4 x7oz bottles per day.. She had reduced to 3 n then increased again to 4.. Little madame likes to keep us on our toes..

We have cup of water with meals and 4 bottles throughout the day. X

If your thinking of christmas yet and want special cards for daddys and grandparents , funky pigeon have an offer on order four or more cards and get 50% off and free delivery , iv just ordered five for £7.50 x

Oliver has 3 bottles of milk throughout the day and we always offer him water before the milk, but we've started to offer him water after his food as well... I tried him with the cup after his porridge and he did take some, but with me holding the cup! I put his hand on the handle of the cup and he gripped it and waved it about :rolleyes:
We'll get there, he's only just over 5 months do plenty of time yet.
Thanks for all the advice x

Oliver has 3 bottles of milk throughout the day and we always offer him water before the milk, but we've started to offer him water after his food as well... I tried him with the cup after his porridge and he did take some, but with me holding the cup! I put his hand on the handle of the cup and he gripped it and waved it about :rolleyes:
We'll get there, he's only just over 5 months do plenty of time yet.
Thanks for all the advice x
Éabha can drink fine on her own.. But the lazy madame always makes me hold the cup!! I do also leave it down in the middle of where she's playing (where I put her) and she'll often take it up n have a drink

Haha Thomas is the same, can hold it but prefers me too!
I tried 3 sippy cups with Thomas but up till 7 months he wouldn't take them but figured out he doesn't like water as I now put the tiniest amount diluting juice in and he drinks fine. I gave in as he needs to drink water over here. I offer him it through the day.

I've tried to reduce his milk but he still gets 4 7 1/2 ounces a day, wasn't impressed with me truonfn to reduce lol

Oliver takes 3x 9oz bottles a day, the little piggy!
Sometimes he'll only take 7oz of his bedtime one but it makes no difference to his sleep.
I imagine when he's 6 months and able to feed himself and more variety of food, he may reduce his milk but he really loves his bottles, which I'm happy about, as a friend of mine found her boy refused milk as soon as she started weaning him!
He's now 17 months and she has to sneak it into his food!

Back