Premium meat

Purpled

Gold Member
I boticed in the syns book that the syns are different for 'premium sausages' 'premium burgers'

What do you class this as? From the butcher?

I for example I buy tesco finest burgers/sausages! Is this average or premium?

They would be premium, because they probably have better quality ingredients than cheaper makes. Unfortunately Slimming World no longer endorse syn free sausages at local butchers because it was impossible to regulate and some butchers would use the term "syn-free" to sell low fat sausages when they hadn't been officially approved. Joes sausages which you can order online used to be officially syn free and as I understand it still use the same recipes.

Hmm okay then! Makes sense I guess!

I have a similar question regarding reduced fat meals!

So in the syns book it might say

Cottage pie 11syns
Reduced fat cottage pie 8 syns

I try to avoid ready meals whenever possible but sometimes it's just easy. So I would think tesco light choices meals are considered low fat? But normal tesco meals arn't?

So I have two meals in the freezer, one light and one not! There fat content is the same.

So how do I determine low fat?

Hmm okay then! Makes sense I guess!

I have a similar question regarding reduced fat meals!

So in the syns book it might say

Cottage pie 11syns
Reduced fat cottage pie 8 syns

I try to avoid ready meals whenever possible but sometimes it's just easy. So I would think tesco light choices meals are considered low fat? But normal tesco meals arn't?

So I have two meals in the freezer, one light and one not! There fat content is the same.

So how do I determine low fat?

I think premium just means the finest/deluxe/posh versions as opposed to own-brand standard/value stuff.

Syns for things like the cottage pie you've listed are just averages and are not a guarantee that your particular cottage pie will be exactly those syns - its just a guideline for when you cant find out the exact syn value for whatever reason and need to make a best-guess. You should still be looking up the exact brand and product you've got (or using the syns calculator in the NVs on the packet if its not listed). Different products can still vary massively in the actual syn content.
The Tesco stuff is easy to look up, or just ask someone on here to look it up for you if you havent got access.

Yea I need to utilise the SW app I now have on my iPhone! Cheers for advice!

I do tend to stay clear of microwave meals in general!

Prefer to cook a few portions of a meal and freeze, for an easy meal! Cheaper too!

Back