Pretty new to SW and not doing well...HELP!!

KraziKayzi

Silver Member
Hi everyone,

I am not doing very well at this and would like some help/suggestions before I give up altogether!

I started on the 16th Aug....1st weigh in...2.5lb off- happy'ish about it, I stuck to plan but felt I ate alot...but was told yeah this is fine
2nd weigh in...1.5lb ON...gutted, I did go off plan one day as I had company staying overnight and I had over my syns, although not to any massive binge state, and I am usually on about 5syns daily, I also was extra good, 3days before the weigh in to try and recoup...so I was so upset specially as people at club were telling me of the shocking things they had eaten over the week and STILL managed to lose 2-3lb!!!
Anyway....I have been pretty good this week so far (although maybe again eating too much 'free food') but syn wise staying under 15...and I just weighed myself (my weigh ins are Tuesdays) and I have put on another lb...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

A typical day food diary:
Breakfast - 2 weetabix with milk (hea&b)
lunch - pasta and eggs with superfree salad
Dinner - potatoes with lean meat and veg
snacks - tons of fruit and the odd yogurt/curlywurly/piece of fudge
Drinks - options hot choc (syns counted), coffee (milk heb) and sugarfree juices

I do have large portions and feel very full after my meals, but I cook it all the way I am supposed too and it is all 'free' according to the food optimising book.

help appreciated

xKx

Hiya!

Unfortunately I can't be much help as I've only just started SW but thought I'd reply as your experience is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm having green days as it seems to be less expensive but I'm worried about eating potatoes and putting on weight!

Hiya!

Unfortunately I can't be much help as I've only just started SW but thought I'd reply as your experience is exactly what I'm worried about. I'm having green days as it seems to be less expensive but I'm worried about eating potatoes and putting on weight!

Well, going by everyone elses results, they eat all that food, pots galore and have great losses....I just seem to be doomed at this, hoping someone can spot what I am doing wrong or maybe someone who has gone through similar and found a way around it!

Just to add to my OP...I have upped my exercise this week too....I now go for a bike ride with the kids for an hour (at a leisurely pace) then I take the dog for a walk for an hour or so (again at a normal walking pace as I got the kids with me too)
I haven't managed the bike today as I have been our for most of the day walking around town (about 3 hrs) but I am going to go on my mini-stepper for an hour later

xKx

Definitely give yourself more time with it, it does work. I only lost 1.5 my first week which I was gutted about. I have no pattern to my losses, I may have a great week & still gain for no reason. It's just the way it goes sometimes. Vary what you eat. I'd also suggest to have more syns, 5 is really the minimum you should be having. Enjoy what you're eating, even if it seems a lot, just make sure you stop when you're full x

Make sure you are having at least 1/3rd of your plate superfree every meal, and are you measuring your milk? It is easy if you have milk with cereal and then in tea/coffee to go over your allowance.

Also, your body is still getting used to the change in diet so don't give up yet, you might see a good loss next week.

Try making up a batch of superfree soup; I've just made one with broccolli and cauliflower, onions, stock, garlic and paprika. I know it is always there if I'm peckish and I always have some before my main meal so I am half full before I start eating IYKWIM. Good luck!

According to your stats you are only a tiny bit overweight and therefore do not have loads to lose. From what you have said, it sounds like you are perhaps over-indulging in free foods. You probably need to focus on identifying actual hunger and ensuring you stop eating once you are full. If you are anything like me I know I tend to have have habit of eating "free" foods a bit mindlessly - specifically fruit. At the end of the day those calories add up, so if you aren't actually hungry, don't eat it! Good luck!

Definitely give yourself more time with it, it does work. I only lost 1.5 my first week which I was gutted about. I have no pattern to my losses, I may have a great week & still gain for no reason. It's just the way it goes sometimes. Vary what you eat. I'd also suggest to have more syns, 5 is really the minimum you should be having. Enjoy what you're eating, even if it seems a lot, just make sure you stop when you're full x

I would say this week I have eaten my syns, purely as I am getting bored of just snacking on fruit and I have no yoghurts in the house, so I will have a cereal bar or a creme caramel or hot choc for that sweet-something...also I am finding it expensive to keep the fruit bowl topped up!

Well done on your weightloss :) you have done fantastic....I will keep going, as I see the loss that everyone else is having and I do like the fact it is giving me the push to keep the family healthy with all the healthy dinners as opposed to the convienience foods and takeaways we were attacking before SW.
Just hope I start to lose some weight, I have a feeling I am going to gain again this week and I will be so ashamed!

xKx

Make sure you are having at least 1/3rd of your plate superfree every meal, and are you measuring your milk? It is easy if you have milk with cereal and then in tea/coffee to go over your allowance.

Also, your body is still getting used to the change in diet so don't give up yet, you might see a good loss next week.

Try making up a batch of superfree soup; I've just made one with broccolli and cauliflower, onions, stock, garlic and paprika. I know it is always there if I'm peckish and I always have some before my main meal so I am half full before I start eating IYKWIM. Good luck!

I do have tons of superfree with every meal...salads (beetroot, cucumber,toms,onions,peppers,lettuce) with lunch....and veg (carrots, broccoli, cauliflour,cabbage,sprouts,onions etc) with dinners.

I measure our 350ml of skimmed milk every morning and put it in a cup in the fridge, half goes on my weetabix and the other half goes in about 3-4 cups of coffee, so I know I don't go over on milk, I only ever had to add syns for milk one day and I measured the tablespoons of milk like a crazy woman! ahaa

Thanks for the reply, and I think I will do as you do, and make something up that I can attack throughout the day if I get the munchies so I leave the fruit alone!
xKx

According to your stats you are only a tiny bit overweight and therefore do not have loads to lose. From what you have said, it sounds like you are perhaps over-indulging in free foods. You probably need to focus on identifying actual hunger and ensuring you stop eating once you are full. If you are anything like me I know I tend to have have habit of eating "free" foods a bit mindlessly - specifically fruit. At the end of the day those calories add up, so if you aren't actually hungry, don't eat it! Good luck!

I am at least a stone overweight :(, and getting heavier by the week :confused:
I do tend to eat too much, and you are right, just coz it is free, I should be careful, need to sort my portion control out really, be sensible! every bit of food is cals you are spot on!
When I say I have pasta for lunch I do have a big bowl of wholewheat pasta...and my dinners are on a big plate that is full and I do eat it all.
xKx

Try using a smaller plate, then that way you will limit your portion size without really noticing

One thing you say your weigh inis on tuesday yet you weighed at home a few days before so that is not a true weight gain at all, weight fluctuates all the time only wi day counts.

keep up the good work and it will work

I hope you are right....just wanted to have a peek to see if I am on track, even if it was just a few oz down I would have been happy(ish) at least I would know I was heading in the right direction this week :( ...so seeing that it is going the same way as last week was gutting!

I will start tomorrow a-freash with the new portion control!

Someone said at group they wern't losing weight as they were eating to little...if only eh :rolleyes:

xKx

Just to add to what has already been said, make a note of when you have your period as that can also have a big effect - many people find they sts or even gain at that time of month. Keeping a record of that alongside your losses will help you see any patterns.

Just to add to what has already been said, make a note of when you have your period as that can also have a big effect - many people find they sts or even gain at that time of month. Keeping a record of that alongside your losses will help you see any patterns.

Problem there is...I am very irregular, never the same time each month, one month I could have it then not again for another 3 months...such a pain! (I have the coil)

A good trick to manage your portion size is to really really slow down your eating. Force yourself to put your knife and fork down between bites and only pick them up again when you have fully chewed and swallowed the last bit!! Paul McKenna techniques that really do help you only eat what your body really needs. Try as well to really focus on your meal if possible; avoid sitting in front of the TV to eat because, before you know it, it's all gone and you barely remember it!

A good trick to manage your portion size is to really really slow down your eating. Force yourself to put your knife and fork down between bites and only pick them up again when you have fully chewed and swallowed the last bit!! Paul McKenna techniques that really do help you only eat what your body really needs. Try as well to really focus on your meal if possible; avoid sitting in front of the TV to eat because, before you know it, it's all gone and you barely remember it!

I do intend to eat a meal that way, but always end up shovelling it down and wondering where it went...hmmmm....wish I had more self control!
Thanks xKx

It is soul destroying isn' t it. But please consider the following :-

Have you been on another diet recently, or were you "trying to be good" before you started SW?

Have you always been a "healthy eater", but like me ate too much and also ate naughty things too often?
For some it is a total transformation in how they shop , cook and eat.
A total lifestyle change and they are often(though not the only ones) the ones who get great loses week in week out.

Also do not compare yourself to others(I have to keep reminding myself not to do this)
I did find this plan a lot of extra work, and making sure "the fruit bowl" is full is often difficult and yes expensive.
I love fruit and loads of veg, even I get fed up of snacking on fruit and veg.
I too now have about the same as you to lose, And I have a similar target in mind, though I have not set mine at class yet.

Try your best not to jump on those scales at home. We all do it but we all know it leads to let downs and elation and then often ;et down again.
Tell yourself you are going to stick to it. And make those scales budge in the direction you wan them too.

This may or may not be true, but sometimes it takes the scales a week to catch up with your body.
Also the plan does take a few weeks ot get used to . As it totally turns everything you have been told about weightloss on it's head.
Read over the sticky posts on this forum about new SWers.
And stick with it.

It is soul destroying isn' t it. But please consider the following :-

Have you been on another diet recently, or were you "trying to be good" before you started SW?

Have you always been a "healthy eater", but like me ate too much and also ate naughty things too often?
For some it is a total transformation in how they shop , cook and eat.
A total lifestyle change and they are often(though not the only ones) the ones who get great loses week in week out.

Also do not compare yourself to others(I have to keep reminding myself not to do this)
I did find this plan a lot of extra work, and making sure "the fruit bowl" is full is often difficult and yes expensive.
I love fruit and loads of veg, even I get fed up of snacking on fruit and veg.
I too now have about the same as you to lose, And I have a similar target in mind, though I have not set mine at class yet.

Try your best not to jump on those scales at home. We all do it but we all know it leads to let downs and elation and then often ;et down again.
Tell yourself you are going to stick to it. And make those scales budge in the direction you wan them too.

This may or may not be true, but sometimes it takes the scales a week to catch up with your body.
Also the plan does take a few weeks ot get used to . As it totally turns everything you have been told about weightloss on it's head.
Read over the sticky posts on this forum about new SWers.
And stick with it.

Hiya, thanks for the reply!
I am sticking to it, proud of myself for that really as I think I would have just caved in if I didn't have the support of you guys!
Yes I had been eating pretty well before hand and I don't normally eat loads of crap, for instance if I went café with OH I would always order jacket spud with tuna and salad, I don't like greasy food at all and I used to do my roast pots with fry light before, so all that has changed on this diet for me is the fact that I am not snacking on sweets/chocs and I have cut out bread/pastries and takeaways...so instead of snacking on the sweet treats I am over loading on pasta and pots, which I think MUST be my downfall as I am pretty active (2 young children that love going to the park and bike rides)
I am going to give it a few more weeks and I know I shouldn't compare myself to others that are at SW but I feel deeply ashamed that I am gaining when everyone else is losing.

I will try and resist the scales at home, it purely was to see if it was going in the right direction as I feel huge at the moment (possibly TOTM?) and I hope you are right, the plan will take a little while for it to sort itself out with me......watch this space I guess :eek:
xKx

Back