Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I've been meaning to set up a diary here for a while, then I sort of wandered off juddd for a bit but was disappointed with every day calorie counting, so am back for the roller coaster ride that is juddd! And my body must like it - have a look at this weeks weigh ins below.

I've battling around 13.1 for 2 weeks with no real progress, playing with calorie counting and intermittent fasting but not JUDDD. To clarify, I follow primal style eating - meat, fish, veg, nuts, seeds, fruit. I also allow a little high fat dairy (not cheese - seems to have an effect on my hayfever), coffee and dark chocolate. Daily breakdown is about 60% fat, 25-30% protein, 10-15% carbs. It works brilliantly for my health and energy, and I add in juddd to boost the weight loss.

So juddd from wed 27th June

15th June wi: 13.1
27th June
Wed: 13.1.4 (DD -437)
Thurs: 12.13 (UD - 2057)
Fri: 12.12 (DD - 468 )weigh in in am, so surprised to drop again straight after an UD!!
Sat: 12.11

Now on an UD. And v pleased to have dropped 4.4 lbs this week!

Last edited:
Todays food diary (normally log on mfp but they're having server issues today). It's an up day so aiming for 2000-2500

4.45am!!! 150g Full fat Greek yoghurt with a handful of raspberries
10am 130g pork loin pan fried in coconut oil with 2 tomatoes and 1/2 orange pepper
3pm tuna Nicoise salad from Waitrose (potatoes removed & binned!)
6pm thick carved ham slices & medio soya latte from costa
9pm 310g pork loin pan fried in coconut oil, small head of broccoli, steamed

Lots of water

Cals 1894
Carbs 76g

Exercise: lots of walking

Last edited:
Well done Phoenyx, it's a brilliant feeling when you move into a new stone bracket
X

Unofficial weigh in this morning: sts 12.10.8

V hungry this morning, think its more of a head hunger but am going to feed it!

10am 3 scrambled eggs in coconut oil, smoked salmon, 60g pistachios, black coffee

3pm coffee with cream (still full from massive breakfast!)

5pm 40g macadamia nuts

6.30pm lots of roast chicken, skin and all...

9pm 45g dark chocolate, coffee & cream

Cals: 2138 / 2500
Carbs: 42g

A bad day today - no fruit or veg at all! I really must go shopping tomorrow.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post some of my favourite crossfit workouts (daily workout crossfit.com) incase I feel like working out and need inspiration!

The last one I tried was:
10 rounds (i only managed 6!!!) each for time of:
15 Push-ups
Sprint 60 yards
Rest 60 seconds

I've also tried:

For time:
Run 1600 meters
150 Double-unders (can only do single unders at the moment!)
50 Burpees
Run 800 meters
100 Double-unders (I gave up here!)
35 Burpees
Run 400 meters
50 Double-unders
20 Burpees

Ones I've not yet tried but like the sound of:
"Brenton"
Five rounds for time of:
Bear crawl 100 feet
Standing broad-jump, 100 feet
Do three Burpees after every five broad-jumps. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

Five rounds for time of:
15 Knees to elbows
15 Hip extensions
Handstand walk 15 meters
15 Box jumps, 24" box

Sprint triathlon
For time:
Swim 750 meters
Bike 20K
Run 5K

OMG I'm exhausted just reading that Phoenyx, and no idea what half of it means. All looks impressive though, good luck with your exercise plans.
Even your UD reads very healthy to me compared to the rubbish I am eating
XxX

I can't do all that but I like to mix up my exercise, so I do bits and pieces. I dont exercise intensely for more than 20-30 mins as it causes a release of cortisol which isn't great.

I love primal eating. I started with Atkins but kept falling off the wagon and bingeing - a sure sign something wasn't agreeing with me. I have been on and off diets for over 20 years, and have been binge eating since I was young (I can remember hiding food as young as 11). The longest I have gone without a binge prior to starting primal / paleo eating was three weeks, but that was very rare. Just taking this year as an example, I have tried 2 vlcds (lighter life & slim & save), diet chef, straight calorie counting, dukan and Atkins. In feb / march I read dr John Briffa's book, and then Gary taubes second book. I wasnt sold on it immedately but my lighter life blood test came back as high, so i got serious about doing something. It took me a few weeks to get my head round it (whilst still trying atkins) but I gradually cleaned up the food I ate. I wasn't convinced at first, particularly because I had really low energy and couldn't run, which I generally quite enjoy. But I just needed to give it a few weeks. I stuck to it for 2 weeks, still wasn't really noticing the benefits. Then I fell off the wagon big time for a few days. I got loads of spots and felt awful. So I tried again, but this time properly - i ate more particularly more fat, and this time it clicked. I was full of energy and could run properly. In the last seven weeks, I've only fallen off the wagon once, for one afternoon (bowl of pasta followed by a slice of cake) and had no trouble starting again the next day). I don't binge at all now, my blood pressure is normal and the weights coming off - it feels like a miracle. I feel normal around food - not starving / over exercising or bingeing all the time (sounds weird from someone who does juddd, but it's true!) and I enjoy eating out again!

So, going back to your original post (but first, thank you for prompting me to write that - it has really reminded me of just how far I've come this year), I won't introduce any processed foods (with a few minor exceptions like dark choc & coffee) until I'm nearer my goal weight and have established non-bingeing patterns. I hope, down the line, to be 80% paleo, 20% free to eat whatever!

Sorry to ramble on...lots to get off my chest :0

Hi Pheonyx,

Seems we have travelled / are travelling a similar path.

I don't do Paelo (yet!). I do my own version of low carb. I'm also a great fan of Dr Briffa, Gary Tabues et al. I love listening to Jimmy Moores Podcasts while I'm running. He has lots of the low carb and Paelo gurus on his shows.

Lighterlife promote a GL diet for maintaining, but as I have PCOS Dr Briffa recommends low carb as he says it's possible to eat quite high numbers of carbs while eating low GL.

I'm put off Paelo for now as I believe it's no dairy and no grains. Have I got that right? I do enjoy my Greek yog, cheese and cream in my coffee and I also treat myself to the odd slice of multiseed bread.

I've come over to Juddd as I'm finding it hard to shake off those last few pounds. I think since I stopped LL and started low carbing my bodies adapted very nicely to the regime and has got a bit comfy with it all. I'm hoping that Juddd will give it a wake up call.

Ive also suffered with pre diabetes and high BP and have found since low carbing and starting running that both of these are now well into the normal range. I realise with Juddd that you have the freedom to eat whatever you want on your UDs, but I'm sticking to my low carb principles. I eat like a queen and feel great on this WOE.

Yay glad to see you have a diary at last x

Rhyannasmum said:
Hi Pheonyx,

Seems we have travelled / are travelling a similar path.

I don't do Paelo (yet!). I do my own version of low carb. I'm also a great fan of Dr Briffa, Gary Tabues et al. I love listening to Jimmy Moores Podcasts while I'm running. He has lots of the low carb and Paelo gurus on his shows.

I love jimmy Moore - his podcasts are the best!
Lighterlife promote a GL diet for maintaining, but as I have PCOS Dr Briffa recommends low carb as he says it's possible to eat quite high numbers of carbs while eating low GL.

I'm put off Paelo for now as I believe it's no dairy and no grains. Have I got that right? I do enjoy my Greek yog, cheese and cream in my coffee and I also treat myself to the odd slice of multiseed bread.

I'm doing primal which is a sort of more relaxed paleo, and you're allowed some high fat dairy (preferably raw) in moderation - its basically mark sissons primal blueprint. I find cheese makes my hay fever worse although I do have a little, and I love cream in my coffee (a glug about twice a day). I also have dark choc & red wine. So I'm not hugely strict. I did try and go strict but only lasted about 2 days!!! I am strict about my meat though - organic and grass fed whenever poss, otherwise I don't eat the fat.

I've come over to Juddd as I'm finding it hard to shake off those last few pounds. I think since I stopped LL and started low carbing my bodies adapted very nicely to the regime and has got a bit comfy with it all. I'm hoping that Juddd will give it a wake up call.

It did for me!!
Ive also suffered with pre diabetes and high BP and have found since low carbing and starting running that both of these are now well into the normal range. I realise with Juddd that you have the freedom to eat whatever you want on your UDs, but I'm sticking to my low carb principles. I eat like a queen and feel great on this WOE.

So true! "clean" low carb is def the way forward for me, and like you, juddd is good to shake it up.

Love to hear from like minded peeps!! Thank you!

I posted this on someone else's diary but want it on my thread coz it may be good to look back on, so apologies for the repeat!

Personally, I'm a great believer in the experiment of one - see if it works and if it doesn't, stop doing it.

I'm going to be honest here, I've been doing this for about six weeks (with a 2 week break), and I've not managed more than 2 down days a week. The third one stresses me out. But I've lost weight every week I've juddded and my average calorie intake over the week is about 1200 a day, so its still working. I'm thinking I might try and do the 3 days, but at a higher calorie level.

as I say, personal experiment of one. Many people on here have lots of success doing it exactly by the book, and of course that's what you should aim for. But others give up because it's too hard or not right for them. I'd rather adapt it than give up.

But I'm no juddd expert so a big health warning on this post! I'm not a doctor and I'm relatively new at this so feel free to ignore me!

Back