Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

i want this to be the last diet,and it be the winning formula.

Right, that's it. I've been thinking about upping my DD calories, and on wed I'm going to do it. Decision made after yet another 2am eating session (yoghurt & raspberries - trying to keep it healthy and satisfying - high fat / protein) because I couldn't sleep.

I wake up, not head hungry, but worrying about all sorts of cr*p and can't get back to sleep. I'm more relaxed after I've eaten something. I think the DD stresses me - you tend to wake up when your cortisol levels are high

I need to look into it a bit more, but I'm going to see if adding an extra 150g of protein and fat just before I go to bed. Either Greek yoghurt and berries or a couple of hard boiled eggs. It'll take my DD calories to 630 ish but worth it for a good nights sleep!

People are regularly asking (on the low carb forums) how many carbs is optimal. I like Mark Sissons approach:

0-50g a day - accelerated fat loss & ketosis
50-100g a day - weight loss zone, some will be in ketosis
100-150g a day - maintenance zone
150-300g a day - insidious weight gain
300g + danger zone!

Link to article
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz1yP7X2ARw

morning...
it's my first DD today,i'm a little worried to say the least.

I wake up, not head hungry, but worrying about all sorts of cr*p and can't get back to sleep. I'm more relaxed after I've eaten something. I think the DD stresses me - you tend to wake up when your cortisol levels are high !

As you know I did LL earlier this year. When I started LL my blood pressure was in what they call the pre high BP range. It'd been in that range for about 10 years with my GP periodically keeping an eye on it. On LL it is usual for BP to reduce quite quickly and markedly so I was looking forward to that. But each time I went for my LL compulsory 4 weekly BP check it got higher. The last BP check I had done before stopping LL, my BP had gone much higher and was now officially well into the high BP range. The medical professional who'd been taking my BP over the months said she thought my body was being stressed by the LL plan and that the sooner I stopped it, the better.

I stopped LL, took up low carbing and my BP has been way down on what it was and comfortably in the normal range for several weeks. I haven't had normal BP for a decade or more.

So what I'm trying to say, in a long drawn out rambling way, is that I believe our bodies can be stressed by how we eat. I think you are wise to listen to your bodies reluctance to accept a very low cal level on DDs. I think all diets should be tweaked and adapted to suit us on a personal level and I think listening to our bodies is something we don't do enough of.

Of course the flip side to that is we may have to accept slower weight loss, but I kind of think the overall goal here is as much about health as it is about weight, if not more so.

Thank you rhyannasmum, that was a truly inspirational post. How interesting about your blood pressure on LL. Mine was high on vlcds too, but I didn't put it down to diet stress, which it may have been (I'm a secondary school teacher so there's all sorts of other stressors in my life!!) when my blood pressure was found to be on the high side, I started researching diets to lower blood pressure and kept coming back to Atkins. But I struggled to stick to atkins, or believe that pepperamis, or mcdonalds without the bun could be healthier for me than an apple or bowl of cherries! Then I found paleo which more or less covers everything that seems such common sense, I'm not sure how I didn't work it out for myself in the twenty odd years I've been dieting!!!

So thank you! I'm doing another DD tomorrow but I'm going to allow myself 700 cals.

So I'm sitting in mcdonalds with my illicit, definitely non paleo soya latte (but still a much better choice than anything on sale here). *shines halo*

Still 1000 cals to go and I'm not going to be home til late. Looks like a large dinner is in order - I have organic, grass fed pork loins at home....will do some roasted veg, yum!

Exercise going well. Here's my update for today:

Weight: 12.10.6 (slightly down after DD)

Food:

2am: 100g total full fat Greek yoghurt with raspberries
8am: 2 boiled eggs, 3.5 thick slices ham, coffee with cream
11am coffee with cream
1pm Greek salad with added roast chicken, 30g 70% dark choc, coffee & cream
6pm soya latte from costa
8pm 3 thin pork loins cooked in coconut oil, roasted mediterranean veg
Raspberries & macadamia nuts with Greek yoghurt

Cals 2098
Carbs 53g (12%)

Exercise: mile run (time trial: 10.02), 26 min kettleworx workout

Last edited:
But I struggled to stick to atkins, or believe that pepperamis, or mcdonalds without the bun could be healthier for me than an apple or bowl of cherries! .

You see this is about where I am now. I have had a nonsense conversation with myself this afternoon where I've denied myself strawberries and cream for pudding tonight on the basis that the strawberries are too many carbs, but have had a packet of pork scratchings instead to get my cals up. How bonkers is that? I think it may be time to let fruit back into my life.

hay :)
roasted veg sounded well yum !
DD, well i'm still here,stomach is a bit grumbly,and i feel a headache might be on the way,however
it's not bad,i lived,so onwards and downwards :D
tomorrow looks bright lol

Rhyannasmum said:
You see this is about where I am now. I have had a nonsense conversation with myself this afternoon where I've denied myself strawberries and cream for pudding tonight on the basis that the strawberries are too many carbs, but have had a packet of pork scratchings instead to get my cals up. How bonkers is that? I think it may be time to let fruit back into my life.

Why don't you take the bits you like from paleo, the bits you like from Atkins and make your own rules?

I'm on Atkins and I eat strawberries. *waves from atkinsland*.

I think people make the mistake of thinking that to 'do' Atkins you have to stick rigidly to the induction rules and carb levels. In fact he encourages you to go up to where you're comfortable with on owl. I'm at 30g carbs a day (though some are from meds) and have added nuts and berries back in and am losing as well as ever. Many people find they lose better in owl than by staying in induction too long. And I don't eat pepperami, pork scratchings and almost never any form of burger. Just don't like them ;) Atkins advised eating clean and unprocessed food as much as possible.

Oh! Rhubarb is also a brill low carb fruit (technically a vegetable) that's even fair game on induction.

Good luck ladies xx

No
Links, but if you google dr johnsons day up day down it will take you to the website. Ignore the bit on the tablets he try's to sell and just read the info on the diet. All the info you need is on the website, you don't need the book

17 lost : 50 to goal

PaisleyLove said:
Hi! I am interested in this JUDDD way of eating but need to find out more info first so I can get my head around it. I do know that zig zagging your calories throughout the week can be an aid to weightloss but I didn't know it was as frequent as one day up and one day down. Could you direct me to any links on here where I could read about it? New to the forum and not got my minimins sat nav working yet ;) Thank you and good luck with your journey. :)

I don't do it every second day. I do down days 2-3 times a week and it works fine :)

Loopeylou said:
Mmmmm your food sounds delicious....Greek salad, ah will be added to my shopping list. Found your diary so interesting to read :) x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Aww cheers! I think we have stuff in common, what with paleo / crossfit interest (more of a watcher on the crossfit front!

What's your plan to lose an above average amount of weight this month?

Interesting study into intermittent fasting & weight loss. It really didn't go far enough and I have no idea why the uk still recommends a high dairy consumption for women at risk of breast cancer, given that more nutritionally advanced nations don't, given the amount of growth hormones it contains...and don't even get me started on the soy!

Anyway, back to the research. They trialled 50 women on 650 cal 2 days a week (v limited food options), 1800 the other 5 days, and 50 women on a standard calorie controlled diet. Weight loss was comparable on both, but the intermittent diet showed some health advantages.

Genesisuk.org/research

So today

Weight: 12.10.6

No exercise (lazy!), some slight aching in bum and thighs from yesterday's kettlebell stuff.

9am coffee with cream
1pm coffee with cream
5pm coffee with cream
7pm free range pork chop, mixed stir fried veg with a little sweet chilli sauce

Cals: 606
Carbs: 19g
carbs/fat/protein %: 13 / 57 / 30

Phoenyx said:
Aww cheers! I think we have stuff in common, what with paleo / crossfit interest (more of a watcher on the crossfit front!

What's your plan to lose an above average amount of weight this month?

My July plan if I'm honest if to get to grips with Juddd and aim for 6lb loss so will take in first weeks possibly gain from vlcd. 2 days in and after UP looking forward to limiting food tomorrow :)
Need to get some food in tomorrow.....def in need of some raspberries on Fridays UP day :)

Hope you've had a great day x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Back