Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

greeneyedhippychick said:
I have the occasional Ben and Jerrys or something similar. Part of the 80/20 rule as far as I'm concerned. Funnily enough though I don't find I really want it now. Think it may be to do with being on Dukan for a few weeks. The food list was so restrictive and no leeway allowed with Dukan. This is heaven in comparison. Don't be hard on yourself hun. I think you're doing fantastically well x

Thank you. I can see improvements but I tend to see my weaknesses more than my successes!

What I am REALLY pleased about is how easily I've got back on track. Normally a binge would spell the end of that diet and weight gain. But I'm straight back on track with paleo.

Today:

A good day today.
Weigh in 12.8

Exercise: 4 hours cleaning today! And just before dinner level 2 of the shred. Felt much stronger (my dd who's 6 said you're doing it better mummy!) managed full press ups instead of half and have upped my handweights to 3kg.

10.30 greek yoghurt, Peach and a small handful of macademias, black coffee
1.30pm half a sausage, 2 rashers back bacon, 2 fried eggs, large side salad, black coffee
4pm small soya latte (post cleaning treat!), raw carrot and cucumber
7.30pm grass fed minced beef (200g) with tomatoes, garlic & herbs, topped with sliced courgette and baked. Served with green beans and broccoli
Herbal tea, 25g dark choc

Last edited:
I read about your kit kat fest and heaved a huge sigh of relief. Thank heavens I thought. Other people are human and go off piste too. Thanks for being honest Phoneyx.

I've found you :) .....and you look to me, who doesn't know about your eating plan, to be doing very well and I love your honesty as it does help others who are not always on plan :):) xx.

Okay a while since I've posted, because I'm busy, not for any more sinister reason!

Have stuck to paleo (with the exception of chocolate cake on sun night). Watched the bbc horizon documentary on fasting which was really well done and it has remotivated me for fasting on a 5:2 ratio (5 days eat what you like, 2 days under 500 cal). I did today's fast (didn't eat until 8.30pm, then ate a 500cal meal) without difficulty.

I'm also back on mfp - I really think that some of my struggles to stay paleo are to do with me. It eating enough. I'm so used to cutting back, and then I crave sugar. Yesterday I wanted to eat a minimum of 2000cal coz I knew I was fasting today, but I really had to force myself to eat enough. I exercise a reasonable amount too. I haven't lost any weight for a month do I'm hoping this will kick start me.

So, since I've been doing this (mon) here are my stats:

Mon - 1465 cal (net 949), carbs/fat/protein 12/60/28
Weight 12.10 (water retention - totm and post choc cake!)

Tues - 1972 cal (net 1436) 14/54/32
Weight 12.9

Wed - 460 cal (net 537) 23/45/32

Thurs - 1804 cal (net 1654)
Weight (post fast) - 12.7.6 (a new low for me!)

Although I've only lost a couple of lbs in the last month, I was delighted to be forced to get some stored smaller clothes (particularly jeans) out of storage. I'm def. a size 16 now :) I've been wearing larger 16s for a few weeks but couldn't go near jeans until now! Yay!

Last edited:
I've just bought and started the insanity DVD set - I must be truly insane! I'm starting a diary in the exercise forum to update my progress, but I'm sure I'll be adding comments here. May need to up the carbs but I can do that in a paleo way. Not sure what will happen about fasting, maybe on rest days, although I think I'll probably not fast for a bit because I'll need to make sure I'm fuelling my recovery.

Interestingly, the info they sent though on nutrition suggests that my basal metabolic rate is 1551 (sounds about right compared to other calculators I've used), the. They suggest I multiply it by an activity factor of 1.55 or 1.7 (moderately or very active, because of doing insanity) then deduct 500 cals for weight loss. This gives me a calorie target for weight loss of 1904 - 2137 a day, which is well over what I currently eat. It his supports my theory that I binge because I'm not eating enough, and I'm going to give this higher level a go :)

Phoenyx said:
I've just bought and started the insanity DVD set - I must be truly insane! I'm starting a diary in the exercise forum to update my progress, but I'm sure I'll be adding comments here. May need to up the carbs but I can do that in a paleo way. Not sure what will happen about fasting, maybe on rest days, although I think I'll probably not fast for a bit because I'll need to make sure I'm fuelling my recovery.

Interestingly, the info they sent though on nutrition suggests that my basal metabolic rate is 1551 (sounds about right compared to other calculators I've used), the. They suggest I multiply it by an activity factor of 1.55 or 1.7 (moderately or very active, because of doing insanity) then deduct 500 cals for weight loss. This gives me a calorie target for weight loss of 1904 - 2137 a day, which is well over what I currently eat. It his supports my theory that I binge because I'm not eating enough, and I'm going to give this higher level a go :)

Hello
I'm currently following dukan but think this plan may suit me better
I too have started insanity but am finding it to difficult
Please let me know how u get on as I'm wondering if it's because ive not got enough fuel in me
Lovely reading your diary though keep up the good work I may be joining u soon xx

I take my hat off to you doing the Insanity Workout as I know I couldn't do it!!!

Laurab21 said:
Hello
I'm currently following dukan but think this plan may suit me better
I too have started insanity but am finding it to difficult
Please let me know how u get on as I'm wondering if it's because ive not got enough fuel in me
Lovely reading your diary though keep up the good work I may be joining u soon xx

Hi Laura

I tried Dukan too but couldn't cope with the low fat stuff, the fat I'm allowed on paleo makes me feel fab! I quite liked the galettes though...

I'll keep posting on my workouts, I'm nervously excited about starting tomorrow. I'm going to be flexible about food - I generally eat three meals no snacks, and I'm hoping to stick to that, but if I find myself weak or hungry i'll up the paleo friendly carbs and start having snacks.

Good luck with your journey, and I look forward to reading about whether you try paleo / get on with it etc.

What day of insanity are you on?

Phoenyx said:
Hi Laura

I tried Dukan too but couldn't cope with the low fat stuff, the fat I'm allowed on paleo makes me feel fab! I quite liked the galettes though...

I'll keep posting on my workouts, I'm nervously excited about starting tomorrow. I'm going to be flexible about food - I generally eat three meals no snacks, and I'm hoping to stick to that, but if I find myself weak or hungry i'll up the paleo friendly carbs and start having snacks.

Good luck with your journey, and I look forward to reading about whether you try paleo / get on with it etc.

What day of insanity are you on?

Thank you for replying that's really helpful
I'm on day 3 but I'm also trying to start running so doing it every other day
It's so hard!! X

Ah organic I take it? Just been reading the bit on dairy on marksdailyapple .. and now intermittent fasting.. I'm finding your diary really informative :)

DeeCe said:
Ah organic I take it? Just been reading the bit on dairy on marksdailyapple .. and now intermittent fasting.. I'm finding your diary really informative :)

Def organic if im having it at home. id love to find some raw (unpasturised) cream but no luck. Waitrose sell unpasturised cheeses though.

Thank you v much for the compliment! Paleo has changed my life so delighted to spread the word!

Insanity work out done - check out my insanity diary in the exercise forum for details. Suffice to say it was v hard and I was glad when it was over!

Today's calorie intake do far is 1521 cals, which is well below what insanity peeps recommend I eat (1900-2100). It's also below the level I want to eat at the day before a fast, so I'm going to put off my next fast til Sunday, I think. If I don't fast whilst doing insanity, I don't mind - plenty of time for that after I get my six-pack!!! I'm going to have some nuts now to up my fat and cals. If I have 20g dark choc and 35g macademias, that takes my carbs to 78g (trying to stay below 100g) and my cals to 1898 which I'm happier with (it's higher now I've introduced a pre-insanity banana).

Of course, I could just play it by ear instead of analysing everything, but I'm trying to avoid bingeing, oh and, okay, I confess, I'm a bit of a nerd!

I need to avoid bingeing as that's all I seem to be doing at the moment so what should I be doing to avoid a binge-fest?????

Back