Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

Phoenyx said:
Wow! Just looked back over my diary and I've dropped half a percent of body fat in 3 days!!!! 40.6 to. 40.1! That made me smile :)

God that's fantastic well done x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Foodie foodie food :)

9am 2 boiled eggs, slice of ham, coffee & cream
11am coffee & cream
1pm baby leaf salad, 3 slices chunky ham, one avocado
4pm Macademia nuts (lots!!), banana
5pm coffee & cream from costa (post run treat!)
7pm free range pork loin (3 skinny ones), half a small cabbage (!), butternut squash mash (with coconut oil) one sq dark choc

Exercise:
25 mins walking
25 mins running

I'm going to try and eat more fish. I love meat, but I need to up my fish intake. Mackerel for lunch tomorrow...

Last edited:
Hi Phoenyx,

Im still following you with interest. I've just had the most sublime fish pie. Don't know if it's Paleo though. Fish mix and prawns simmered in double cream with seasoning and herbs. Transfer to heat proof dish. Top with mashed swede and a sprinkling of cheese. Cook in oven for 15-20 mins. It is heaven.

I was short on time today so I did some sprints and strength training a la Mark Sissons. Felt effective, but only took about 40 mins. My daughter came sprinting with me and we pretended we were being chased by dinosaurs to make us run fast.

Fish pie sounds lovely - need to check out ingredients of the mix but thanks for that!

My DDs help on sprint sessions too - they "race" me on foot or scooter (they're 6 and 8 so I easily beat them, but I reckon they'll give me a run for my money soon enough), or time me on the iPhone.

I've halved the time I spend exercising, but my muscles are much more defined (I've lost weight too which helps, but even at this weight previously I've never been so toned! Even my ex hubbie commented - he's trying to gain muscle and wanted to know what I was doing!)

I'm also much fitter - I never thought I'd be able to run without carbs but one of the group I went out running with today commented that I was faster and asked if I'd been doing more runs between our once a week session! Truth is, other than this week where I ran on tues, I generally only run once a week and sprint once a week, and walk or do resistance work if I feel like it. She was really surprised!

I generally don't discuss what I'm up to, diet and exercise wise, because I know it goes contra to normal dietary advice (eat healthy whole grains, eat 60% carbs, cut fat etc etc). I think that's why I post so much on here - because I find the changes in myself so exciting, and here I don't have to try and justify my woe.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling now!

Hi if you do your work out in the evening say after 8pm - do you eat when you get home? Or just have a bigger breakfast/ lunch tomorrow?

I'm trying not to eat after dinner/ 8pm and was wondering your thoughts on it?

Thanks

For me that would be tricky unless im not at work. I'm a teacher so I'm usually v busy during the day and don't feel like eating, which means i need to eat more in the eve. So I tend to eat quite a lot in the eve and prefer it that way. I also find I sleep better on a full stomach. I don't tend to eat after 9 coz I go to bed around ten / ten thirty.

But it's personal preference. Let your hunger be your guide. When does it suit you to eat? Do you get hungry after your work out?

I don't think, from what I've read, eating before you sleep is only a problem if you eat lots of carbs because of insulin levels.

The Myth: Eating after 8 p.m. prompts weight gain.

The Truth: No need to feel bad about those late night snacks! In reality, your body has no idea what the clock reads, so you're ability to metabolize food will be no different whether you're sitting down for dinner at 6 p.m. or 10 p.m. What is more important when dining late at night, however, is to eat healthy foods - including lean meats, healthy fats, and plenty of veggies - both to ease digestion and best fuel your body for restorative sleep!

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-myths-debunked/#ixzz20TaDl3Ti

Net gains in fat are due to an overabundance of nutrients (calories/energy) over an extended period time. It's not 12 hours, it's not 24 hours. There is no exact timeframe. How long it takes for you to gain fat is dependant on many factors. If you overeat breakfast by 3500 calories you will not gain a pound of fat by the end of the day. It just doesn't work like that."

http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/18029604390/nutrienttiming

And there's loads more out there on this subject.

There's a lot of disagreement about what to eat post workout, some say if your goal is fat loss, you don't need to eat a specific post workout meal, just eat again when hungry. Others say this is a window to eat more carbs (fruit or starchy tubers) - robb wolf talks a bit about this on his blog. Others say to build muscle, add protein (lean gains advise this).

Personally, I sometimes eat a banana before I run but it's mainly psychological. What affects me most is how much I've eaten that day rather than eating carbs - if I've skipped lunch my run tends not to feel as good.

Afterwards, I just eat my normal meal when I planned it, even if its late. If I had a 7pm workout class, id snack before and eat my dinner after and not care about time. But you may prefer to eat more during the day and only have a handful of nuts or sthg after.

Have a play and see which works best for you.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts on fuel for running. When I started running I was still on Lighter life and I found it easier to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Obviously my runs are now considerably longer and some days (particularly first thing in the morning after a DD) I find it hard going. Interestingly the best run I've done recently was late afternoon, after a buffet lunch which was an absolute carb fest, may have been psychological though.

Ive read the stuff about using the immediate window after exercise to have carbs and I use that to my advantage for the occasional slice of my weakness - bread.

Im also someone who eats fairly lightly through the day and has most of my cals in the evening. That's a deeply ingrained habit of a lifetime and one that I'd find hard to change.

morning....interesting reading !
i have often wondered about late night eating and the effects it actually has.

Rhyannasmum said:
Interesting thoughts on fuel for running. When I started running I was still on Lighter life and I found it easier to run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Obviously my runs are now considerably longer and some days (particularly first thing in the morning after a DD) I find it hard going. Interestingly the best run I've done recently was late afternoon, after a buffet lunch which was an absolute carb fest, may have been psychological though.

Ive read the stuff about using the immediate window after exercise to have carbs and I use that to my advantage for the occasional slice of my weakness - bread.

Im also someone who eats fairly lightly through the day and has most of my cals in the evening. That's a deeply ingrained habit of a lifetime and one that I'd find hard to change.

I am a great believer that lifestyle changes have to suit you or they won't stick. Eating most of my cals during the day wouldn't suit me at all!

I might up my carbs a little before a run (in a paleo way) when I'm not trying to lose weight any more. But I don't run long any more either - no more than 30-40 mins and often less.

Today:

Fasted til 1pm (16 hrs)
Coffee & cream x 2, 2 boiled eggs, Macademia nuts (lots coz I forgot my lunch!) raw carrot
7pm grass fed sirloin steak, roasted veg (red onion, red & yellow peppers, courgette, cherry tomatoes) followed by raspberries in cream and then lots of dark choc (50g!)

Exercise: rest day but I did about an hours boogie whilst cleaning up my lab...

Last edited:
Phoenyx said:
Weight updates
Mon 12.12.6 (+1.6lbs -totm) body fat 40.6%
Tues 12.11.6
Wed 12.11.2
Thurs 12.10.6 body fat 40.1%
Fri 12.9.6
Sat 12.9.0 body fat 40.2%

Your doing fantastic great stats x haven't done a fast yet

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Great loss so far this wk!! A fellow teacher i see - our staffroom, as Im sure they all are, is a minefield at the moment and we dont finish till 25th!! 8 more days of avoiding biscuits, cakes and chocs. Id never touch them at home, Im a savour girl, but at work they are just so tempting!!! I find Im fine if i dont start - complete avoidance otherwise its binge city!

rjg123 said:
Great loss so far this wk!! A fellow teacher i see - our staffroom, as Im sure they all are, is a minefield at the moment and we dont finish till 25th!! 8 more days of avoiding biscuits, cakes and chocs. Id never touch them at home, Im a savour girl, but at work they are just so tempting!!! I find Im fine if i dont start - complete avoidance otherwise its binge city!

We have donuts in the staffroom every Friday at break. I've volunteered to do break duty on a fri next year, just to avoid them!

Primary or secondary? I think primary have it worse as lots of pupils buy chocs for teachers. A few do for me at secondary, but not many. I did get Easter eggs which I didn't expect!

Primary - sounds awful to moan but we get tons of the stuff - too much! At Christmas family and friends of mine dont bother buying any chocolate as I get enough for everyone and give most (???) of it away! We have a trade off in the staffroom with the non-drinkers; chocs for vino!!
Most of the families know Im getting married this year (via the gossipy buggy mafia) so Id liek to think they wont be getting me anything with calories this year.

Back