Product Review Thread - what do they taste like?

What are your favourite Slim and Save shakes (up to 3)?

• Total voters
Day two...
Chocolate shake - made it with 300ml of water and it was nice. Not an overpowering chocolate taste. Not as nice as the crispy choc shake. Would be better with some ice and made in a blender rather than a shaker. (at work, boo)

Caramel shake - made with 300ml of water. As with the Hazelnut, there just wasn't enough flavour here for me, and would not have said it was caramel had i not known what it was. More like vanilla. Creamy texture but has the potential to make me feel nauseous if i drank it again!

Lemon, Yogurt and white choc bar. Really enjoyed this. I think you can taste the white chocolate more in this than a normal non-diet white choc bar. Nice crisp creamy lemon taste. Rivalled the choc truffle bar and will definitely be ordering again.

And back to the crispy choc shake for tea! yum yum...

My new ones over the past 2 days...
Strawberry shake- tasted very much of strawberries and even has what looks like strawberry seeds in it. Quite sweet and a little sickly for me but will be nice for a change.

Muesli bar - third bar i've tried and as nice as the other two. Chewy and tasty.

Veg soup - tastes like a cream of veg cup-a-soup. Added some cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit. Only problem was that my stomach started grumbling straight after and continued to do so all night. And then today i had a bit of diarrhoea. Same thing used to happen to me on Lipotrim after the dreaded chicken
soup...

Spaghetti Bol (old one i think, was in white packet that said spicy spaghetti on) - Best i have had excluding the bars. Kind of like a Pot Noodle with the protein bits of 'meat'. Good consistency and really tasty. Will def have again, could have ate 2!

Cafe Latte shake - really did taste of coffee! Should imagine that if you do it in a blender with ice, it will be just like a frappe.

I found this thread really helpful when i was first starting out and deciding what to buy. So, here's what i think...

Shakes - All made with water
Strawberry - quite like this, fairly fruity but not overpowering 8/10
Caramel - reasonably sweet with nice caramel flavour 7/10
Crispy Chocolate - Enjoyed the crispy bits, think i will make with less water next time 8/10
Crispy Vanilla - I usually like vanilla flavoured things but i found this kind of so-so, even made to a thick consistency. Not as vanilla flavoured as the ordinary vanilla shake. Plenty of crispy bits. 6/10
Cafe Latte - Mmm my favourite so far, had it hot (and i did add a wee bit of extra coffee to it) 10/10
Vanilla - Love love love it! Made it hot, tasted almost like white chocolate. 10/10
Chocolate - Didn't think it was very chocolately, not really that impressed. 6/10

Bars
Muesli - My least favourite of the bars but still enjoyable, dense texture and quite moist - not hard and crispy as i had kind of expected. Reminds me of fruit cake for some reason :) 7/10
Lemon, Yoghurt & White Choc - oh yes! Mmm, my favourite. Lovely lemony flavour and quite a dense, smooth texture. 10/10
Chocolate Truffa - nice choc fix, smooth texture, only complaint is doesn't last long enough LOL! 9/10

Meals
Original Oatmeal - this was OK, pleasant taste, a little like Ready Brek. I made it with water. Not sure that i would buy again. 6/10
Sweet Porridge - I don't think it's as sweet as the original porridge. Has a much more porridge-like texture than Original Oatmeal. Fairly salty but not unpleasant. Will buy this one again. 8/10
Original Spag Bol - Tasty and quite filling, especially when served with the allowed veg. Made a pleasant meal. Prefer this to the new spaghetti. 8/10
New Chilli Con Carne - Again, tasty and quite filling. As a lover of spicy food i didn't find it particularly hot. Will add chilli next time. 7/10
Old Chilli - Tasty, good texture, prefer it to the new chilli 8/10
Cottage Pie - Didn't know what to expect with this as there had been so many conflicting opinions about it. Well, i like it - it could probably do with a little extra added to it e.g. some reduced salt Bouillon powder but i'm unable to get that here. Great with brocolli & cauli. 9/10
Macaroni Cheese - The one thing i've been missing on this diet is cheese, not any more, this is delish! As other people have mentioned it makes quite a small portion but add some cauli for a cauliflower cheese and it makes a great meal. 9/10
Mushroom Pasta - Tasty and a nice creamy consistency. Makes a decent bowlful if you add 50g chopped, fresh mushrooms before cooking 9/10
Chicken Soup - Nice chickeny flavour, quite thick when made with the recommended amount of water. Try adding 100g cooked chicken breast and pouring over brocolli & cauli - lovely! :drool: Like this 9/10
Vegetable Soup - Like the flavour, it tastes fairly much, as someone else mentioned, like cream of veg cuppa soup. 8/10
Mushroom soup - Very nice, tasted mushroomy, nice thick consistency and filling. 9/10

Water flavourings
Orange - 1tsp added to 500mls water, like it, it's quite orangey - a bit like weak orange squash 8/10

I'll pop back and edit this when i have tried new items.
(Added New Porridge 11/03/2012)
(Added Vanilla Shake and Crispy Vanilla Shake 13/03/2012)
(Added Macaroni Cheese and Mushroom Pasta 30/03/2012)
(Added Chocolate shake, Old chilli and Cottage Pie 08/04/2012)
(Added Orange water flavouring 14/04/2012)

Last edited:
Like other pp's, I'll edit this as I try more items:

Crispy Chocolate Shake - Nice flavour, enjoyed the crispy bits, I think I added too much water as it tasted a bit "weak". Update - made again with less water, yummy!

Vegetable Soup - Not my cup of tea at all. I had to add a lot of salt and pepper to make it at all palatable and even then couldn't finish it. Really strange taste and I was only able to sip it if I didn't smell it.

New Spag Bol - Okay, quite filling, spicier than I would normally have a spag bol, but not bad. Not mad on it though.

Macaroni Cheese - Great, needed to leave for a while to sit to soften the pasta then used it as a sauce over cauliflower and it was good. Not 500-cals-a-spoonful-homemade-cheese-sauce good, but fairly nice and will definitely order again.

Caramel Shake - Sweet and mild flavour, I may try it with less water next time too.

Strawbery Shake - Fab. Smells like strawberry yogurt and tastes like angel delight, what's not to like?

Truffa Bar - Fab again. Like a dark chocolate brownie crossed with a Taxi. Nice in the evening with a nettle tea watching telly!

New Chilli - Again, not to my taste at all. Quite spicy and not wholly unpleasant flavour, but the texture was too gloopy and I wasn't able to eat more than half of it.

Last edited:
Porridge (old style) - I absolutely love this. It is thick and creamy and sweet, and what's more it's filling too 10/10

Porridge (new) - I don't like this very much. It is the same consistency as the old-style, but much less sweet, which isn't to my taste. Also, the smell reminds me of the food I feed my rabbits! I won't be ordering this again 3/10

Banana shake - nice flavour, I like my shakes thick so I make them with less water than is recommended 6/10

Crispy choc shake - yum yum, love the crispy bits in this! Again, I make it nice and thick 9/10

Chocolate shake
- not as nice as the crispy choc, IMO. Tastes a bit chemically (but I would still have it again!) 6/10

Chilli (old style) - this was delicious, nice and spicy. I added some mushrooms to it, which helped to bulk it out. Only problem was, it sent me to the toilet fairly soon afterwards... (sorry if TMI :D) 8/10

Cottage pie - I love this. Nice texture, nice flavour, I dolloped it over broccoli in a bowl and felt like I'd had a 'proper' meal 9/10

Spaghetti (new style) - delish. Quite spicy and filling 9/10

Spaghetti (old style) - this is lovely too, but I think I prefer the new one - it seems more filling somehow 8/10

Macaroni cheese - I made this with the recommended amount of water, but it was a bit runny - more cheese sauce than macaroni cheese. I think next time I wouldn't use so much water. I didn't find it as filling as any of the other meals. But it has a lovely, cheesy flavour, which might help with the odd craving! 6/10

Choc truffa bar - totally yummy and totally chocolatey, doesn't taste like a diet bar, and surprisingly heavy/filling 10/10

White choc/lemon bar
- again, doesn't taste like a diet bar and is also very filling. Very sweet but that's fine by me as I have a sweet tooth 10/10

Last edited:
Hello, I thought I would update my thoughts on the products while I am working my way through the sample packs.

Shakes: (I have had nothing but bad experiences with shakes in the past. I hate them powdery and that chalk like after taste. I like milkshakes like frijj or with ice cream!!!)

Chocolate- was ok. It was very malt like and reminded me of a cold malteser choccy drink. I will have again 7/10
Milk Caramel- I was scared to try this. I love caramel and feared it would put me off. I read reviews on here and decided to have it with hot water as feeling bloody cold today. Wow yummy!!! It is (I write as I drink) gorgeous. Defo on my order list!!! 10/10

Soups:

Mushroom. Was ok- not amazing. Didn't make me think wow. I would have it again but not overly mushroomy!! Like a cuppa soup. 6/10

Meals:

Spicy Spag Bol- wow wow wow wow wow. I would have this EVERY day and not get bored. Yummy. I looked in the bowl and thought- hmmm not alot there but it kept me full. 9.5/10 (would be 10 if more of it lol)

Bars:

Choc Truffa- It lives up to its name. Its like a chocolate truffle bar. Very heavy and dense, almost like a brownie. I had ready lots of positive things about it. I found it hard to eat. Not due to taste but due to denseness.... Gave my hubby the last bite as an hour on I couldnt eat anymore. 8/10

Lemon: Just my cup of tea. It reminded me of the lemon hifi bars slimming world do but nicer. I am a huge lemon fan so was very happy. Perfect size- any bigger would have been sickly. 9/10

I've got the 28 product starter pack so that I see which are my favourites when I need to re-order. As I've the memory of a goldfish I'll write up what I think daily :) I will stick to this plan for 5 weeks as I go away to Florida 5 weeks today (hopefully at least 21lbs lighter).

I'm 5'7 and yesterday weighed 13.9 but had 4 CD packs yesterday.

Crispy Vanilla Shake - I don't dislike the CD Vanilla but the S&S one has a much better flavour. I used my electric blender and was afraid it might break up the bits of crisped rice but it didn't. This shake tastes like vanilla flavoured milk with Rice Crispies so was perfect for breakfast. 8/10

Chocolate Vanilla & Almond Bar - This was quite small (only 109 calories) and reminded me of a milky way with bits of almond in. It was covered in a thin layer of milk chocolate. Quite tasty and in no way like a 'diet' product. It didn't fill me for more than 2 hours and I'm hungry again now. 8/10

Mushroom Pasta - Extremely tasty and pleasant aroma. Doesn't look much when you make it up but filled me for a few hours. 8/10

Red Berry Shake - Nice and thick, non chemical taste. Nothing bad to say about it at all. 7/10

Caramel Shake - delicious smell and my 7 year old GS wanted it. I couldn't taste caramel at all and to me it was very similar to vanilla. 6/10

Lemon Yogurt Bar - loved it, very lemony and could actually taste the white chocolate too. Will order again. 10/10

Choc Crispy Shake - had this for breakfast today, made with water but still thick and creamy. It's perfect for breakfast 10/10

Dark Choc Coconut Bar - YUMMY, just like a dark choc Bounty bar, will order lots of these 10/10

Porridge - 100% better than the CD version. It actually LOOKS like porridge as oppose to CD's wallpaper paste. Tasty too, I'll order more 8/10

Hazelnut Shake - Smells and tastes of nuts, nice and creamy even when made with water. Mmmmmm nice!! 9/10

Chocolate Praline Bar - I nibble it so that it lasted 20 minutes. Really very nice. NO way like a diet bar! 9/10

Muesli Bar - Pleasantly surprised with how big it is ;-) Chewy and tasty and a good breakfast /brunch option 9/10

Macaroni Cheese Meal - Very cheesy and lots of sauce. Next time will pour it over cauliflower as it needs something to go with the sauce. 8/10

Spaghetti Bolognese - Probably the same size serving as a Pot Noodle. Really good flavour but my spaghetti was a little bit hard in parts even though I followed the instruction. Will order again 8/10

Last edited:
Chilli con carne = yummo!

I wasnt feeling too hungry tonight so I thought Id have a shake, but was worried Id feel hungry, so I had the chilli with some green veg,, and it was the best meal so far! I always find it amazing how the powdered muck that you put in a bowl with a bit of water turns into food!!

Highly recommended! :drool:

I wasnt feeling too hungry tonight so I thought Id have a shake, but was worried Id feel hungry, so I had the chilli with some green veg,, and it was the best meal so far! I always find it amazing how the powdered muck that you put in a bowl with a bit of water turns into food!!

Highly recommended! :drool:

agreed, i wrap it in lettuce nommy nommy :)

Catdog xx

same as the cottage pie.. smells and tastes like cottage pie but sure don't look like it :)

sliminthecity said:
I'll third that :) chilli is my fav- with mashed up cauliflower ( tricks my mind into thinking it's rice!)

Omg I love cauliflower rice, I think id have it instead of rice forever lol

If you grate cauliflower then microwave it it comes out a bit like rice. I bung it in the food processor to grate it up quickly.
Apparently you can also make spaghetti with courgette but I've not tried that yet!

I'm a chilli over cauliflower girl!!!

I sometimes go mad and sprinkle on a bit of grated cheese!!! I'm CRAZY like that!!!;)

i do the rice cauliflower when the OH is getting indian takeaway then i can have takeaway too!!! i get the dry tandori chicken pieces from my indian its LUSHHHH they do fish too nommm

Back