Protein shakes and bars

Alex graeme

Hi I recently started on the slimming world diet program and I am also an avid gym goer, I regularly consume protein shakes and bars, I usually use either PHD diet whey or gold standard optimum nutrition, I am wondering whether these would be free or how to work out the syn value of these, as both of these brands are very low in both fats and carbohydrates, any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
This does get asked regularly so it would be worth a search for recent answers but they won't be free. If you have the kcal content per serving you can work out the syns using the 1 syn to 20kcal rule as they have no free food value

They are likely to be high though dependant upon whether you mix with water or milk and whether, if milk, you take it from your allowance for your hex a

That just seems like an aweful lot of Syns for food which is low in everything but protein which is why I was getting so confused

That's a valid point however all diets rely on creating a kcal deficit one way or another and regardless of the macros of the shakes it's ultimately the kcals that provide the energy. Hence if it had no free food value that rule helps to protect losses despite it seeming a bit mean.

You could have them and monitor your losses. If you are working out regularly it may counter the additional kcal intake from them although normally "body magic" isn't rewarded in that way. Try it. If it doesn't work then maybe review it.

Back