Question about crisps?????

stephie0611

needs to focus!!!!
This might sound really stupid, but was thinking, how are crisps the same syn value on red as they are on green, considering it is potato?

I dont even know how this came into my head, just randomly did when i was walking to work this morning haha :). xx

Good thinking! Sadly though I think it's because they are all empty calories. High in fat, high in salt etc etc.

Some schools of thought say you have to syn home made crisps on green days too.......food abuse and all that jazz!

food abuse ha ha - I like that!

i've only made the crisps a couple of times, but have only used 2 small potatoes, because it seems a hastle, so personally i'm not counting the syns, as i would eat more than this in a meal. xx

Food abuse! Love it!
I often abuse food in that I add fruit (usually mango) to curries, or grill a slice of pineapple on the barbecue and don't syn it!
Does that make me a fructophile?

I don't hold with the argument that cooking fruit releases sugars and changes the syn value. I believe the reason things like baked apples should be synned is because they're less filling and you could in theory eat loads more than if eating it raw But if you only eat the one piece of fruit, what's the difference between cooking it and eating it raw?

Food abuse! Love it!
I often abuse food in that I add fruit (usually mango) to curries, or grill a slice of pineapple on the barbecue and don't syn it!
Does that make me a fructophile?

I don't hold with the argument that cooking fruit releases sugars and changes the syn value. I believe the reason things like baked apples should be synned is because they're less filling and you could in theory eat loads more than if eating it raw But if you only eat the one piece of fruit, what's the difference between cooking it and eating it raw?
I'm with you on this one, if you are only going to eat the same amount then it shouldn't matter if it;s cooked or raw! :confused:

Yep, if I have one cooked apple or one cooked banana, I don't syn it. Or like last night, I cooked some blueberries to have on my pancakes. I ate the same amount of blueberries cooked as I would have had uncooked so I didn't syn them!
However, I do not do lasagne crisps, potato crisps, cous cous cakes, smash pizza, or any other such thing.

This might sound really stupid, but was thinking, how are crisps the same syn value on red as they are on green, considering it is potato?

I dont even know how this came into my head, just randomly did when i was walking to work this morning haha :). xx

For foods like crisps and snack there is no free food allowance included in the syn calculation - so it works out the same on both plans.

HTH

Hiya, not doing sw at the moment but done it in the past. I purchased a crisp maker from ebay. basically it is a slicer and has a circular slotted rack which you put in the microwave (bit difficult to describe sorry) when you have very thinly sliced the potato it goes into the rack then you blast it in microwave untill all the water comes out and your left with a crisp, quite tasty but a bit time consuming! it was a bit dear about £9 from china, you may be able to get one elsewhere. Anyway i think that makes them free on a green day (long time since on sw so may have changed). hope this helps.

Hiya, not doing sw at the moment but done it in the past. I purchased a crisp maker from ebay. basically it is a slicer and has a circular slotted rack which you put in the microwave (bit difficult to describe sorry) when you have very thinly sliced the potato it goes into the rack then you blast it in microwave untill all the water comes out and your left with a crisp, quite tasty but a bit time consuming! it was a bit dear about £9 from china, you may be able to get one elsewhere. Anyway i think that makes them free on a green day (long time since on sw so may have changed). hope this helps.

hey huni, yeah i've got one of these, there is a thread about it here. xx

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-off-topic/131245-crisp-maker.html

crisps coming under the "no free food" category as do other such snacks such as chocolate, biscuits and cakes etc. So for that reason no free food can be used to syn them. The are synned as they come. If that makes sense.

They do this for highly processed and high calorie type foods etc, because if you think about it, everything you eat has prob got a bit of one of the free foods in it, so could you imagine just how much you would be eating if you could add a free food allowance to everything. There has to be a limit somewhere.

When things are made from fresh it has alot more nutrients and is healthier for you than something that has come out of a packet and probably has a lot of additives etc to preserve them for longer.

Back