Extra Easy Question re Weekly Weigh-In/Image Therapy

AbFab

Hi everyone! Quick question! Had my first WI this week and afterwards the image therapy session. There are about 60 in our group and the session took a full hour and consisted of our Leader (who is very nice) going around each person and announcing how much everyone had lost/gained. Not being funny but I don't really see the point in staying for a session to hear what other people have lost - I'm not that interested tbh and I thought the session would be used for tips and recipe sharing etc. Is that what classes consist of or do you think my Leader just had an off day? :confused:

Thats a very big class and the one I went to last night was half that and took just as long. Normally the C will ask if anyone has tried anything new this week etc and then as you saw last night will speak to each person and ask how they've got on. We normally talk about recipes and tips at the beginning when she asks what we've eaten and we have a chance again when its our turn to talk.

Hi everyone! Quick question! Had my first WI this week and afterwards the image therapy session. There are about 60 in our group and the session took a full hour and consisted of our Leader (who is very nice) going around each person and announcing how much everyone had lost/gained. Not being funny but I don't really see the point in staying for a session to hear what other people have lost - I'm not that interested tbh and I thought the session would be used for tips and recipe sharing etc. Is that what classes consist of or do you think my Leader just had an off day? :confused:

Our class is pretty much the same.

I would love to discuss why we overeat, recipes, tips etc... But we don't, its basically just a list of who's lost what

Our C is not ideal either - over Christmas she told everyone that she was going to eat what she wanted, regardless of whether its SW friendly and she presumed others were doing the same. I actually tried to stick to plan and only put on 1lb but jokes were made that I'd 'cheated' by sticking to plan over Christmas - but, hello, I thought it was a slimming club???

Sorry, rant over :)

Thats a very big class and the one I went to last night was half that and took just as long. Normally the C will ask if anyone has tried anything new this week etc and then as you saw last night will speak to each person and ask how they've got on. We normally talk about recipes and tips at the beginning when she asks what we've eaten and we have a chance again when its our turn to talk.

That time didn't include the queing for weighing in etc. So from start to finish it means being there for nearly two hours every Wednesday evening. That's ok if I get lots of tips and recipes and hear about people's experiences but she called out people's names, their weight loss and said well done and we clapped for each one. Got a bit monontonous tbh!

Our class is pretty much the same.

I would love to discuss why we overeat, recipes, tips etc... But we don't, its basically just a list of who's lost what

Our C is not ideal either - over Christmas she told everyone that she was going to eat what she wanted, regardless of whether its SW friendly and she presumed others were doing the same. I actually tried to stick to plan and only put on 1lb but jokes were made that I'd 'cheated' by sticking to plan over Christmas - but, hello, I thought it was a slimming club???

Sorry, rant over :)

OMG you're kidding, that's shocking!! :eek:

I'm lucky, the leader of the group is absolutely lovely. A little ditzy and disorganised but really sweet and encouraging. I just feel better use could be made of the image therapy time - like how to cope with PMT cravings or new Syn-free discoveries you know?

Yeah I agree.

If I could change group I would but it's the only day/time I can do as I work full-time and have 2 children.

Finding a good C is half the battle! Most C are v.helpful and knowledgable, I'm sure but mine just seems like she doesn't want to be there

Essentially this is what image therapy is. Lots of people don't stay because they don't find it helpful but I do find it interesting and motivating so it works for me. Our consultant does usually start with a short motivational talk or some helpful hints. Quite often something helpful comes up in image therapy - if someone mentions they have tried something new etc. Once you get to know the people who stay most weeks you are rooting for them and it is exciting when someone who has been struggling has a big loss for example.

I always stay to group - to get my moneys worth and just incase I learn something but I do feel the time could be used more constructivly.

Each to their own

Started a couple of weeks ago and have been staying for the Image Therapy bit. I have found it a tad boring and because I hardly know anyone in my group I find it hard to be very interested in everyone else's losses or gains. It is a very large group so from initial weigh in to the end of the image therapy session it lasts an hour and a half.

My consultant is a lovely lady and I am trying to be openminded about the whole image therapy bit, so will continue to stay for a few more weeks. I have found that most people will only stay until their name is called and their loss/gain/sts has been discussed then they will kinda sneak out. I don't mind staying for the full session but was hoping for more motivation/tips/discoveries etc.

We have our motivational talk at the beginning of IT - has anyone made anything diff etc, has anyone discovered new products that are free or low syn, this week our C had loads of stuff on the interest table, her topic was foods to eat if we get snowed in and what meals could you make out of the products she had, she had a broth/veggie pack, some quark, lots of packets of batchelors rice etc. People were just shouting out random food ideas and suggestions for others to pick up on, for different ideas.

She then does the awards and the losses and gains, she saves the slimmer of the week as the last award, then does the raffle. Shes really great and motivates

Your groups may be lead by your consultants but don't forget that you (and all the other members) make your group what it is. If you want it to be full of tips and recipes (when it comes to your turn) - ask. Ask if anyone has any tips for a certain situation. Ask if anyone has a recipe for something specific. Ask if anyone has tried any new recipes as you're finding that you're eating the same things.

Usually we have an 'interest' table - this usually contains things such as low syn foods/new products etc.

That's why I considered leaving, I got a little bored listening to 60 people's loss or gain, . But even though I like WW am thinking maybe the way they do IT is good and like people say your group is what you put into it, so I think I will persevere with the 60 strong group. Decided this today.

Last edited:
We have our motivational talk at the beginning of IT - has anyone made anything diff etc, has anyone discovered new products that are free or low syn, this week our C had loads of stuff on the interest table, her topic was foods to eat if we get snowed in and what meals could you make out of the products she had, she had a broth/veggie pack, some quark, lots of packets of batchelors rice etc. People were just shouting out random food ideas and suggestions for others to pick up on, for different ideas.

She then does the awards and the losses and gains, she saves the slimmer of the week as the last award, then does the raffle. Shes really great and motivates

Texty do you come to my group ha ha? Thats the exact format of ours. I love staying for IT, always have. However, I am a member of the social team so would stay anyway. I dont see the point in paying a fiver then leaving. I suppose a lot depends on the consultant though. Mine is fabulous. :)

Haha I would love to hun :D yes I love my class too. It does become repetitive going around the class every week re losses and gains but thats part of IT and sometimes its the only time people will actually open up and say exactly how they are feeling about the week they have had if its been a bad one.

I really like hearing about how everyone else has done. We can all learn from other people's successes and difficulties. In my group we chat during IT as well and our C often asks us all if we've tried any particularly good recipes this week or asks the group to give their tips to someone who has had a bad week for example. I get really annoyed tbh when people leave IT after saying their bit, why expect people to listen to you when you won't listen to them?

IT to me is about the group and what you make it, not just listening to gains and losses. I try to put in and take away something that inspires me for the coming week. The onus shouldn't just be on the C to make IT fun but on the members too.

Mine is very much hit and miss. My C is really lovely, but I've gone from her Tuesday group (which she's now dropped) where there was a maximum of 10 people staying so everyone could talk, etc to her Wednesday group where there is at least treble that and its difficult to talk!
She usually starts by telling us if there any important news, then asks how people got on, then asks how many gained, maintained and lost by a show of hands and then talks to those people.
I like how she gets us involved by asking us questions instead of her doing the talking.
I'm hoping once all the Jan newbies have vanished it will be better and I'm now on the social team, so I have no choice but to stay lol

Thanks very much for the feedback. I am really motivated and serious about losing this weight so do you think staying for the Image Therapy is important to that? I'm on Week 2 and I don't want to "quit" the sessions and want to get the most of them so do you think it's worth staying even if sixty people talking about their own WI can be a little bit dull?

Thanks very much for the feedback. I am really motivated and serious about losing this weight so do you think staying for the Image Therapy is important to that? I'm on Week 2 and I don't want to "quit" the sessions and want to get the most of them so do you think it's worth staying even if sixty people talking about their own WI can be a little bit dull?

To me it is very important but of course everyone is different. I stay to group every week and try to participate and help if I can. I've made some awesome friends and see some of them outside of SW now. I couldn't go to my normal group this week and although IT was still good I missed my group!

The support I get from the group is amazing - but I get what I put in is I suppose what I'm trying to say. You've only been going a week and I did find it a bit awkward to start with and hard work until I got to know everyone (mine is a smaller group I have to say) - let yourself settle in and then see how you feel but definitely give group a chance :) x

Ive only missed class twice and that was because I was on holiday. I always stay for IT - sometimes its just that 1 week where you will pick up a little hint or tip that makes all the difference to a loss and a gain so i personally would stay x

I would stay, I have every week and the only time I will miss group is in August when I'm on holiday for 2 weeks!

Back