Quiet exercise to do at home..

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I want to do exercises at home but live in a 1st floor flat. Although we get on well with the neighbours downstairs they have complained about my son banging/jumping/running around the floor so I think an elephant like me they would definitely hear.

I've got exercise DVD's but would these make noise? Also i've got a mini trampoline, if I was jumping on that do you think you would hear it downstairs?

If you don't think so what exercise can be done on a trampoline apart from just jumping up & down. XX

can you agree a set time with them when you can do your workouts?

explain to them that you are trying to get in shape and that you need to do x minutes of exercise a day / couple of days and that you will only be doing it between time A and time B..
if all else fails, sod em... why should you conpromise on your health so that they can watch telly in peace????

She doesn't work as she's got a 2 year old...I guess I'll just do it one morning & see if she complains..maybe worrying over nothing. Things are alright between us so don't want to p!ss them off.

I could only do it 2 mornings anyhow as my son isn't here 2 days a week. It's not as if I'm going to be doing it at 11pm..

so they have a 2 year old that probably runs about screaming and banging doors all day and probably kept you up a couple of times, crying at all hours when it was smaller, and you're worried that they'll complain about half an hour of you bouncing about twice a week?

I used to use a mini trampoline fir the jumping about bits of an exercise dvd, if you put a mat or rug underneath it then it shouldn't cause too much noise.

Do you get on with your neighbour? Could you invite her to come and join in?!

There are lots of things you can do Karen that do not make a noise.
  • So what if it is 10 pm, the gym is closed and your downstairs neighbors are sleeping. There are plenty of exercises you can do at home.
  • Push ups, planks, side plank and elbow planks are quiet and will work your upper body and core!<LI style="WIDTH: 550px">Sit ups of all variations work wonders day or night. If noise is an issue, the slower you do them the less noise you will make. Looking for a new abs routine? Check out this Short, Sweet and Complete Abs video.
  • If you have hand weights you can do a wide variety of exercises that make absolutely no noise - except for your breath, of course!
  • Say you are in the mood for alternating reverse lunges, don't let sleeping folks around you keep you from lunging, just make your lunges as quiet and controlled as possible - this will make you work even harder and challenge your coordination.
  • If you can rock out, try an exercise DVD - here are some that I have reviewed. Pilates and yoga tend to make less noise than cardio if noise is a consideration.
  • Stretch! Flexibility training is an essential part of fitness that is quiet and easy to do. Plus it is a great way to calm down after a busy day. Chances are high a short stretching session will motivate you to workout the next day!
Fit's Tip: Contrary to popular belief, exercising before going to bed doesn't interfere with sleep. If you feel super awake after exercising, try a nice soothing bathe since they tend to promote sleep over invigorating showers.

She doesn't work as she's got a 2 year old...I guess I'll just do it one morning & see if she complains..maybe worrying over nothing. Things are alright between us so don't want to p!ss them off.

I could only do it 2 mornings anyhow as my son isn't here 2 days a week. It's not as if I'm going to be doing it at 11pm..

just a thought and in the interest of world peace and good neighbourhood relations, couldn't you go out for those two days per week when you don't have the little fella?

Walking's good (my favourite) or even jogging or swimming if you're up to it. Possibly even a local leisure centre, gym? the fresh air will be as beneficial as indoor exercise, though of course indoor is better than none.

As a last resort, I'd discuss it with the neighbour. One of my neighbours does the registrations at group! - she clocks me in and out when I go walking lol!

Maximus - I do go walking already with my son but I've also got a baby (10 weeks old) so can't do anything else. My H works nights so needs to sleep in the day so can't go to gym or aerobics class either that's why I wanted to do exercise at home. I'll talk to her & see if we can come to some arrangement. XX

Do you have Sky? If so check out the fitness channel(282), there's a good salsa workout on there which wouldn't be noisy and is fairly simple.

Maximus - I do go walking already with my son but I've also got a baby (10 weeks old) so can't do anything else. My H works nights so needs to sleep in the day so can't go to gym or aerobics class either that's why I wanted to do exercise at home. I'll talk to her & see if we can come to some arrangement. XX
My apologies BB - I misunderstood as I thought you meant you had two days free to do as you pleasewhen you didn't have your son.

Steve

Good luck BB, how about asking round family and friends and see if anyone has an unused excercise bike you could borrow? That way you can just do it when you have the free time and it doesn't make any noise
Also just wanted to say thank you to the peachy who brought my attention to the fitness channel I was just wondering what DVD's to get and now I don't have to

Back