Quorn - an acquired taste?

I've tried a few Quorn bits too and I quite like them. Not the sausages though, they were truly revolting! I love the peppered Quorn steaks, 0 syns, and really tasty. Had the Quorn lasagne last night. Probably shouldn't have eaten the whole thing as it was 8 syns and took me slightly over, but like I say, it was yummy!

I made Quorn blog last week, didn't tell the hubby or son who ate it with me and both raved about it! Hee hee! Told em after!:)

All I'd say is it's trial and error. Asda have 3 Quorn items for £5 at the moment, if that helps?

I seem to be going against the trend here but I really quite like the sausages and hate the mince. I have found that the sausages can dry out alot if cooked in the oven though and then do taste a but rubbery. My very curious method of cooking them now is microwaving them briefly and then colouring lightly in a pan with frylight. It does have the advantage of being very quick though and is great if you are having a couple of a weekday breakfast.
Although I can't stand the quorn mince I do really like the dehydrated soya mince. It really is just a case of trying out different things and I guess having realistic expectations - meat replacements are never going to have the exact taste and texture of meat but they do have other advantages.

On a different note, can anyone advise where I can locate the sausages in the SW book? can't recall the brand but they're low fat ones.[/QUOTE]

I am not a lover of any of the Quorn products either. I have looked at the Joes sausages wed site for the syn frees but find them quite pricey. Using the sw syns calculator I found that certain half fat sausages aren't to bad on the syns value, with all the flavour, so I just stick to eating these ones.

I love the Quorn Brand Sausages(never get fed up of these with a good fryup) and Mince. Tried the plain Fillets, but didn't really like them. Just tried the Quorn Meatballs yesterday and they were just okay, lacked a little internal flavoring.

i prefer the chilled quorn sausages rather than the frozen ones

Hiya Steve :)

I tried the quorn sausages ... akin to chomping on an old slipper ... mind you, the slipper would probably have had more taste lol !!

Tesco Light Choices Cumberland sausages (reduced fat, 8 pack, 57g each) are only 1 syn each on Red/EE (4 syns each on green) ... as are the Tesco Light Choices Pork Sausage (low fat, 8 pack, 57g each) ... and our local tesco`s has an offer on them at the moment they are reduced :)

I love these on a red/EE day .... done with SW chips ... or done as part of a full english .... Bacon, eggs, tinned toms, real sausages ... *nom* :)

i have yet to find a quorn product i dont like abso love it i use the peppered beef slices for roast on a sunday
i like to stuff the plain quorn fillets with quark garlic and herbs aswell to make them taste even better

I just had the mince like stuff, i had to throw my tea away it was awful. I think i'm gonna go and buy lots of extra lean mince tomoz haha xx

I have been eating Quorn since it came out! and love them all. My advice for anyone is to be bold with your flavours and seasoning. Quorn is bland, but that does mean it will take on the flavours of what ever you cook.
I often search meat recipes and then substitute for the quorn. so i use the recipe for inspiration.

I like the sausages, burgers and the chicken pieces, as I find they work well in a pasta dish. I cannot stand the mince and have tried many a time!
the peppered steaks arent bad either!
defo a case of trial and error.

May have to give the crispy fillets a go, they sound great.

Wow, well done on your big loss Maximus! :)
Hoping for similar loss tomorrow (Wednesday) I've decided I quite like the Quorn Burgers, I've also purchased the mince and now the chicken pieces - or equivalent. Not tried them yet, but will hopefully use them next week.

I actually like meat so no issues either way, but at least I can say I have given Quorn a fair chance lol.

Hiya Steve :)

I tried the quorn sausages ... akin to chomping on an old slipper ... mind you, the slipper would probably have had more taste lol !!

Tesco Light Choices Cumberland sausages (reduced fat, 8 pack, 57g each) are only 1 syn each on Red/EE (4 syns each on green) ... as are the Tesco Light Choices Pork Sausage (low fat, 8 pack, 57g each) ... and our local tesco`s has an offer on them at the moment they are reduced :)

I love these on a red/EE day .... done with SW chips ... or done as part of a full english .... Bacon, eggs, tinned toms, real sausages ... *nom* :)
This made me laugh! I think I've got some slippers lying around somewhere - old ones too:D

You've done it now - sausage and chips (SW style) or a full English - wish it was the weekend! - might have to have a full English for an evening meal - do it more justice ;)

Will even stick a Quorn burger in to keep my own thread on topic:eek:

Steve

Back