Really worried

cerysmt

Okay guys, so I haven't had a period in at least 3 years now, because I've been on injections and implants etc. Now after 6 days on Slim and Save I'm getting really painful cramps and spotting - this has never happened before.

I thought when you tried things that were more calorie restricted, the higher the chance of your periods stopping e.g. that's what happens to anorexics.

Can someone please advise? If I feel like this for much longer I don't think I'll be able to continue with SnS...which would be so annoying as I've bought a months worth of supplies! :( :( :(

Cerys x

hello hun unfortunatley s&s do advice this could happen, i didnt read it and got the shock of my life after a week on s&s!!

Like urself i have been on the depo injection for 5 years so have never had a period in that time... And now ive been on for over a week, not heavy though which is lucky. Hope the cramping stops soon xxx

I hate to sound like a kid but it hurts soooo bad! Lol but if it carries on I really don't think I can stick to this diet, I'd rather feel more comfortable and not ill than lose weight more rapidly. Looks like I've lost around 5lbs so far so it would be lovely to be able to stick to it...

Stef, where does it say on SnS that they may come back?

Cer x

I'm not on the implant but there are lots of posts from people who are and where TOTM restarts after starting a VLCD. I think it's something to do with oestrogen being stored in fat so when you start to drop fat TOTM starts again.

I know hun, i went on the pill as i couldnt cope with them, they use to keep me in bed for days! But im coping so far.

Here it is x
Will my menstrual cycle be affected?

Hormone levels fluctuate when there are changes in weight – particularly in women. For most, the menstrual cycle is not affected, but in some women breakthrough bleeding may occur. Others may find that their periods stop for a while. Fertility may also be changed and unexpected pregnancies do occur, thus even if a woman has been trying unsuccessfully to become pregnant she needs to be wary of the fact that during and after weight loss her fertility may increase. Rapid weight-loss with very low calorie diets may temporarily affect the menstrual cycle patterns; ovulation, however is probably not interrupted. The metabolism of contraceptive pills may be affected during effective weight loss so extra care may be needed.

thanks everyone. may have a meal out tonight, there's a chicken place by the cinema I'm off to tonight...so skinless chicken, and maybe a baked potato as there's less carbs than fried or rice it seems...what does everyone think? I don't even know if I'm in ketosis or not, I'm not very hungry but no headaches leading up to this.

Had a choc crispy shake with milk and can of coke zero so far today.

Hmmm....

my period was a lot heavier this month, and lasted a couple of days longer than normal. Will see what happens next month, then go from there.

This isn't because of your level of carbs. If you eat a jacket you'll come out of ketosis and then there's no point doing this diet. The hormones are stored in your fat cells when they are created. They will be released when you lose weight. If you lose weight more slowly then less will be released - more quickly and more will be released. I suggest that you give it a few weeks on the diet and see how you go - things may settle down.

You probably are in ketosis and are fat burning. I don't get headaches going into ketosis either. As Weasey says if you have a potato you will come out of ketosis so stick to the chicken and some low carb veg or a side salad.

I mean I guess it's a good thing if the fat is breaking down after 6 days. I've completely gone off the spag bol already, but maybe will stick to chicken mini fillets and then cottage pie. I wish I'd got just 2 weeks worth...I'm a student and should've thought about the budget implications if it turned out I didn't like it, or couldn't stick to it...now got loads of porridge and spag bol that just won't get used :(.

Just out of curiosity which is the worst carbs wise out of bread, rice, pasta or potatoes, does anyone know the "ranking"? And how many carbs are we supposed to stick to to stay in ketosis?

Thanks everyone for your help, cramps are getting worse and worse :(

Cerys x

i hadnt had a period for over 2 yrs, til last fri a week after starting this diet, its still going and was so heavy, i think its a thing you just have to put up with on this diet i am afraid,

sorry i cant help you with the question about carbs, i would just stick to chicken and veg/ salad if i was eating out.

I really feel for you with the cramps :( , I use buscopan and they really help me. They are only tiny so shouldn't affect your losses and are amazing. Hope you feel better soon.

Just ebay the packs you don't want. People will buy them and you'll get most of your money back :)

thanks for all your help girlies. Lying in bed right now cos they're getting worse...don't think if this remains I'll be able to stay on it unfortunately. Might switch to something like Atkins, or Weight Watchers. I know it's a slower result but no diet is worth being in bed for!

We'll see. I've got until the end of May to lose the weight, I'm having breast reduction surgery so want to be at my "ideal weight" before I have it done.

Cerys x

I had the same problem on lighter life though have been fine this time around on sns, hope you feeling better soon xx

There are no good carbs on this diet. Your total carbs for the day (including all of your packs and veggies) needs to be between 50g and 60g, depending on how sensitive you are to carbs.

I have the implant, had depo injections for years before that and yes I had a period 1 week in to this and it lasted for a while.

However, I stuck with it because frankly I can get over a few days of period pain rather than continuing to be fat and come up with excuses to remain so. That's just my choice.

Personally, i'd stick with it and don't eat carbs as you'll just make yourself feel worse.

Pep talk over...as you were!

I have the implant and had my first period in a year the second week of the diet. It was horrible, but it doesn't last forever and laying in bed with a chocolate shake made hot made it bearable.
If you really want to do slim and save don't give in and don't let the gremlin on your shoulder give you excuses to quit. If you hate s&s and are really miserable on it, then don't do it. It's not worth being miserable to lose weight quickly, you have to be in the right mindset or no diet will work. Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon :)

Wow is it really that little to get out of ketosis? Thanks everyone for the pep talks, just feeling very sorry for myself lol. Let's see how week 2 goes :-/

Back