Puddings Red Velvet Brownies

I am going in! Well I will do when someone tells me what to do with my bunch of dirty earth beetroot to make it ready to blend in the cake please? I have about 20 beets..... lol!

Easiest way to cook beetroot is to give it a quick wash, but don't peel it. Trim off the stalks down to an inch or so. Then either wrap it in foil and bake on low for a couple of hours, or simmer in a pan of water for an hour. Leave to cool for a bit and then the skin comes off really easily.

You could batch cook all of them and then peel and freeze them when cool too ;) Airtight tub or a sealed food bag type thing works fine. I do that with my vegbox ones.

Can I suggest a pair of rubber gloves when you start peeling them,unless you fancy spending the next few days with bright pink paws.:D

Do you think I could get away with using whole grain Ryvita? I want to make these tonight and can't make it to H&B before!

Here are my brownies! I used 5 x whole grain Ryvita instead of scan bran. It came out a little too thin so I sandwiched the halves together with a tad cocoa powder mixed with natural yogurt and sweetener. They are delicious :)

15 syns for the whole thing if not using Ryvita as HEB (5x1.5 syns for Ryvita, 3 x 2.5 syns for tbsp cocoa powder).

Attachments

• image-3798178289.jpg
    image-3798178289.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 127
Isn't cocoa powder 1 syn for 1 tbsp?
I made it again today and it was better but still not that chocolately. What cocoa powder does everyone use?

I worked out the syns for my Green & Blacks cocoa powder by weighing out a tbsp (7g) and using the NTs. Mine works out at 1.5 syns per tbsp and 0.5 per tsp. Hope that helps!

charliemm said:
I worked out the syns for my Green & Blacks cocoa powder by weighing out a tbsp (7g) and using the NTs. Mine works out at 1.5 syns per tbsp and 0.5 per tsp. Hope that helps!

That's great thanks

charliemm said:
Here are my brownies! I used 5 x whole grain Ryvita instead of scan bran. It came out a little too thin so I sandwiched the halves together with a tad cocoa powder mixed with natural yogurt and sweetener. They are delicious :)

15 syns for the whole thing if not using Ryvita as HEB (5x1.5 syns for Ryvita, 3 x 2.5 syns for tbsp cocoa powder).

Your rivita versions looks lovely. I might give that a go as I'm getting fed up of the scan bran texture at the moment

I've never tried it with scan bran as I find it a pain to get hold of! I quite like the scan bran carrot cake recipe, but I think the texture of ryvita probably works better for the brownies.

I tried cooking another batch but in the oven today - they were alright but had to leave them in there for ages. Finished off the second half of the mixture in the microwave and it was much better. Microwave it is from now on! I also put them in a silicon mini muffin tray this time and made more of them so they work out at 2.5 for 2 or around 1.2 (I round up to 1.5) syns for 1 :)

Geobar said:
I made another this morning and I mixed in half a pot of toffee muller, Mmm Mmm Mmm!

What did the yogurt do to the texture of the brownies?

When i made it yesterday it had a slightly bitter taste to it so adding the yogurt took that slight bitterness away and it was a bit more moist and springy if that makes sense. I suppose it wasn't as dense.

I just mixed the rest of the yogurt with some quark and some sweetener, just topped the brownie with it, lovely

Ooh might try that next time! Thanks for the tip :)

Back