Reducing wrinkles?

laelae87

Hi,
I've been using a moisturiser and eye cream, day and night for a while now. I was told that doing so would help with my dark circles and reduce wrinkles later in on in life (I'm 24)
But someone at work told me that it was a load of rubbish and no amount of creams or "potions" (her words) would help and told me not to be pathetic and grow old gracefully.
I'm not talking about botox and collagen, its a moisturiser and eye cream!
Does anyone know if it will help or not?
(sorry for the mini rant!)
:)

Its always a good idea to have moisturised skin, but at 24 you dont need to be to paranoid about wrinkles till in my opinions early 30's. Everyone will get wrinkles but if youve looked after your skin hopefully there wont be too many.

Genes count for a lot too. Enjoy being 24 too early to be worried about looking old LOL

I'm 25 and I use moisturiser tinted with foundation by Olay and I put a night moisturiser on my face every night, in my opinion prevention is better than a cure so by looking after my skin now I might not sag as much in later life.

I also use a full body moisturiser everyday after a shower, and while I shower I exfoliate with my exfoliation gloves.

I don't have any wrinkles and my skin is always nice and soft. I don't like having dry skin which is the main reason I look after my skin so much.

Even if it doesn't prevent or improve wrinkles it keeps my skin soft and supple and I never have had bad skin :)

X x x

A good moisturiser will have a sunscreen in it and that is really important for your skin's appearance in later years. You cannot undo any sun damage, you can only try to prevent it now. Also, wear good sunglasses so you don't wrinkle your face up in the sun, try not to frown too much, and don't whistle (I am not kidding, whistle in front of a mirror and see those lines around your mouth!!).The most important think you can do is not to smoke. Smoking is the worst thing for your skin (as well as for everything else).Looking after your skin is a good habit to get into - take no notice of anyone who tells you anything different. You don't have to spend vast sums of money - find something of good quality which suits your skin and your pocket and use it regularly.But of course you will get wrinkles, everyone does, and a line-free face looks very odd in later life!

I work for a chemical company which makes raw materials which goes into personal care products (we sell to companies like L'oreal, Unilever, Boots, Avon, Body Shop) so we do a LOT of research into this. The truth is usually that once the damage is done you can't undo it (without surgery etc), so once wrinkles have appeared, they're here to stay. You can get creams containing ingredients which tighten the skin, which makes you feel better and reduces the look of fine lines, but obviously it's only temporary and once the creams wears off you're back to square one.

But although you can't turn the clock back and get rid of wrinkles, by looking after your skin you will keep it in better condition and wrinkles will take longer to form. And the poster above is spot on, sun damage is the worst thing for skin (proven to be even worse than smoking). It doesn't matter what magic ingredients, or packaging claims are made on a moisturisor. If it doesn't have SPF 15 or above, don't buy it.

My day one is SPF 15, I think it's best to have something with sun cream in it because it helps prevent skin cancer as well

X x x

I think there is also a truth in the concept that if you start using anti-aging products at a young age and then stop, your skin will be in turmoil. I started using high-end products in my early twenties (because I get them for free- no way would I spend £90 on a moisturiser!) and then when I started using more age appropriate product at 26 I saw a radical decline in skin firmness.

The way your apply your moisturiser is as important as the product you use, you should gently massage it into your skin rather than slap it on and always in an upward motion. It's called facial effluage or something.

Thanks for all of the replies! They're all really helpful :)
I have majorly sensitive combination skin, and find it difficult to find a moisturiser and creams that are right for me.
So far I've been using a few products from Lush. Skin drink moisturiser, with the angels with bare faces exfoliator and their eye cream (forgot the name). They also gave me a weird looking bar that will tame my uneven skin tone (i get patchy red skin around my nose)
I use Simple cleansing wipes aswell.
I use all of the above (except the exfoliator and 'patchy bar' stuff) twice a day. (I'll check the spf in the creams)
I feel that my skin is loads better and I very rarely have a bad skin day now.
I'm just glad that it will help me. I used to smoke (3 years ago now) and have noticed the fine lines around my mouth look better :)

Back