Rhyannasmums low GL diary

Sadly Plumfoodie the white bread didn't fall within the magic window.

Been travelling most of today, glad to be home now. Planning a trip to the supermarket to stock up on the right sorts of foods. Today's been a bit of a struggle to eat right, especially this evening coming home to a bare fridge and cupboards.

Todays been

B: berries, 0% fat Greek yog and nuts
L: crab salad
S: lighterlife bar
D: more berries, yog, nuts and seeds
S: dark choc

Cals 1362. Exercise none.

Back on my home scales this morning and I'm 0.75lb up after my few days away.

Todays plan is dog walking and a big session at the gym this morning. Then some housework, gardening and food shopping this afternoon.

Food plan for the day is as follows;

B: porridge and berries
L: tuna salad and a slice of buttered seed bread
S: apple and a slice of cheese
D: salmon fillet, salad and a few new potatoes
S: nuts

Just craving salad and fruit this morning. Not enough of it over the last few days.

UPDATED. Having a hungry day so have added some extra carbs to my menu. Cals will be 1765. Had a big session in the gym this morning. 5k run on the treadmill, 20 mins strength training, some stretching, 20 mins swimming and a 30 min walk with the dog. No wonder I'm having a hungry day.

Last edited:
Struggling a bit today. Cravings for my two favourites, bread and chocolate, in particular, but biscuits, sweets and ice cream have been calling me too. Have resisted so far. I tend to get these cravings mid cycle and the few days before my period. They are so strong and so hard to resist.

Was half a pound down on the scales this morning at 9.11.25. Anything under 10 stone is OK with me.

No exercise planned today, I'm still aching from yesterday.

Ive gone onto soya milk. It's better on the cals/carbs side of things and also supposed to be good for women of my age. I'd never had it before and was pleasantly surprised by the taste. I got Alpro soya light.

Food today is like this

B: porridge made with soya milk and an apple
S: handful of nuts
L: smoked salmon salad
S: Greek yog, blueberries and seeds
D: going to have a BBQ so will be meat and salad. Might have a couple of gin and tonics too.
S: oatcakes with cheese or marmite or peanut butter if I'm peckish.

Cals are 1346 without the Oatcakes snack so will be more if I decide to have them.

Need to go out for a long run this morning before it gets too warm. Most of my runs lately have been around the 5k distance, but my 10k race is less than a month away so I really need to start doing some longer distances. Going to aim for about 8k this morning. Truth is I get a bit bored after about 30 mins which is usually how long it takes me to do 5k. Running outside is not quite as boring, but running on a treadmill in the gym is really yawn.

I mostly stayed strong with the carb cravings yesterday. I did have a wholemeal pitta with my BBQ though last night, but that's not too bad.

Today food plan is like this

b: porridge
s: nectarine
L: blueberries, greek yog, nuts and seeds
s: lighterlife bar
d: ham and egg salad with a slice of buttered seed bread
s: not sure - fancy some ice cream if I can find something not too naughty.

cals 1373 plus whatever I have for my last snack of the day.

Last edited:
Was pleased with how my run went yesterday. 7.94k in 51 mins.

Todays food is as follows

B homemade muesli with blueberries and greek yog
S apple and a few nuts
L seeded bread ham salad sandwich
S oatcakes and peanut butter
D garlic chicken and salad
S dark chocolate

No exercise today. Kids just returned from a weeks adventure holiday and I have piles of very wet and smelly washing to do.

The homemade muesli was yuck. Got the recipe from my Patrick Holford book. The muesli looked like wallpaper paste and probably tasted the same too. It sat like lead in my tummy all day and made me feel heavy and bloated.

Back to my yog, fruit and nuts for breakfast this morning. Yum!

Hoping to get to the gym this afternoon for some weights and a swim.

Have a batch of garlic chicken marinating in the fridge so will be having that possibly for lunch and dinner today.

Has anyone here tried Sweet Freedom? It's a sugar substitute made from fruit and is Low GL. I got mine in Morrisons, but I understand they are in the process of discontinuing it and H&B have already discontinued it so it could be hard to source. I think it's nicer than agave. The Sweet Freedom website lists lots of yummy recipes for baking and desserts for anyone strong willed enough to trust themselves with that sort of thing. I'm sticking to using it for sweetening porridge.

Todays food plan
B raspberries, blueberries, Greek yog, nuts and seeds
S probably nothing as had breakfast late
L garlic chicken and salad
S not sure
D garlic chicken, new pots and veg
S dark chocolate

A late entry today.

No exercise.

Food as follows:-
B raspberries, blueberries, Greek yog, nuts and seeds
S 2 nairns oat biscuits
L beans on seeded bread toast and an apple
S 2 nairns oat biscuits
D salmon, sweet potato, roasted courgette, pepper and onion
S dark choc

Have all but given up trying to lose the last pound. I've upped my calorie and carb allowance to weight maintenance level and will see how that goes before I think about starting to eat any of my exercise calories.

Did my longest run yet this morning, 12k which took me 1hr 14 mins. It was a bit much really. My previous longest had been 8k so it was a big step up and in hindsight too much, too soon. I'll scale it back to around 10k for my next run.

Today I've eaten
B porridge made with soya light milk
S Atkins bar
L tuna salad with a granary roll
S blueberries, 0% fat Greek yog and a teaspoon of seeds
D salmon fillet, salad and multigrain bread
S mini magnum ice cream

Cals are 1832.

Been to the gym and walked the dog this morning. I can feel a lazy afternoon is in order.

Todays food
B berries, Greek yog, nuts and seeds
S nairns oat biscuits
L turkey salad on seeded rye bread
S more berries and Greek yog
D wholemeal pasta with prawns in a homemade chilli tomato sauce
S dark choc

Cals 1610

Last edited:
Well I know I typed a post earlier, but perhaps I forget to press the submit button.

So, in brief, no exercise today. Cals 1556.

B usual (berries, Greek yog, nuts and seeds)
S 2 nairns oat biscuits
L ate out. Just had a starter. Tomato, goats cheese and pine nuts with balsamic dressing.
S Atkins bar.
D ham and egg salad with cranberry and pumpkin seed bread.
S dark choc

Oh dear. Not a good day today. But in the spirit of confession I will list my sins here.

B 4 :eek: slices of cranberry and pumpkin seed bread with peanut butter
S 2 nairns oat biscuits
L raspberries, Greek yog, nuts and seeds
:d'oh:S 2 slices of bread and blue cheese, one cornetto, half a bar of G&B dark choc :break_diet:
D chicken salad with homemade multigrain bread roll.

Following my afternoon of gluttony I took myself out for a good run. All that sugar in my system must have done me some good as I ran 8k in just under 45 mins, which is almost 3 mins faster than my previous best.

I blame all that bread for breakfast, it just kicked off a whole day of nothing satisfying me. So porridge or berries and yog for breakfast in future for me.

Bread is a sneaky one like that, the same happens to me although the sprouted bread from the health food store isn't quite as bad! I don't think I could trust myself with something as yummy as cranberry and pumpkin seed bread in the house either, heh. Still it sounds like it gave you good fuel for your run which is important too. :)

Busy day today looking after my great nephew who's only 6 months old. Decided to take him and my kids out for a walk and a picnic. Wow, some walk it turned out to be. I got us lost, we ended up miles from home with the baby screaming for his next bottle, which I'd left at home. So three and a half hours of walking today.

Food
B porridge made with soya milk and half a banana
S 2 nairns oat biscuits
L bacon and Brie salad
S lighterlife bar
D chicken salad with rye bread
S strawberries and Greek yog

Cals 1437

Been to the gym today, but I couldn't really get into it.

Food wise I'm using up the contents of the fridge as we go away on holiday tomorrow for a few days. Just self catering in the UK so intend to stick to the plan while we're away.

B 2 eggs scrambled on 2 slices of rye bread
S nectarine and a few almonds
L cottage cheese salad with 3 oatcakes.
S berries, Greek yog and nuts
D boiled egg salad with a homemade multigrain bread roll
S more berries and Greek yog

Cals 1766

I love rye bread :) and with my homemade almond butter it's lush :) with a banana sliced on top :-D x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I love bread, all bread Linski. It really is my downfall. But I would really struggle to give it up completely so I just go for the best quality, lowest GI variety I can find.

Just about to leave for our holiday and not sure if I'll have internet access so thought I'd check in here first.

Food shopping for hols done and packed in car. All proper allowed food. A bottle of gin has found its way into my case and we will be eating out one night while away. I may stray a little off plan for my meal out.

Running kit packed in suitcase so I can run every other day and I'm booked in for a Pilates class one day too. Will also be swimming probably every day.

So today so far I've had

b porridge made with soya milk, half a banana chopped in and a teaspoon of seeds
s 2 nairns oat biscuits
l oatcakes with cheese and a chopped nectarine with Greek yog

Gosh that's a lot of oats isn't it? Can you have too many oats?

Rhyannasmum said:
I love bread, all bread Linski. It really is my downfall. But I would really struggle to give it up completely so I just go for the best quality, lowest GI variety I can find.

Just about to leave for our holiday and not sure if I'll have internet access so thought I'd check in here first.

Food shopping for hols done and packed in car. All proper allowed food. A bottle of gin has found its way into my case and we will be eating out one night while away. I may stray a little off plan for my meal out.

Running kit packed in suitcase so I can run every other day and I'm booked in for a Pilates class one day too. Will also be swimming probably every day.

So today so far I've had

b porridge made with soya milk, half a banana chopped in and a teaspoon of seeds
s 2 nairns oat biscuits
l oatcakes with cheese and a chopped nectarine with Greek yog

Gosh that's a lot of oats isn't it? Can you have too many oats?

Oooohhh have a fabulous holiday :)
I also like burgen bread ... Very low GI :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back from my holidays. Did lots of walking, a couple of runs and went swimming, but still managed to put on 2lbs in 5 days. That was probably because I stayed on plan with my meals, but ate a fair bit of bread. I also had ice cream one afternoon, some fudge one evening and when we went out for our meal I had pizza. The ice cream was lovely and I really enjoyed it. The fudge was a great disappointment ( but of course I ate it anyway) and the pizza gave me really bad stomach cramps.

I seem to be gradually learning that often the foods I covet are just not worth it, they fail to live up to my expectations or upset my digestion. It was a delight to get back to my porridge for breakfast this morning and I had a very simple, but tasty salad for lunch.

So my plan is to cut down for a few days and lose those 2lbs. I have a 10k race in 2 weeks time so this week I will be doing a few long runs in preparation. I would hope to have lost the 2lbs by this time, next week.

No exercise today, I've been catching up with chores and food as follows:-

B porridge with light soya milk and sweet freedom
L fat free cottage cheese and salad with a little oil and vinegar dressing and an apple
S all bran biscuit and a skinny mocha
D chicken salad
S not sure yet. Maybe strawberries dipped in some melted dark choc if I can be bothered to make them.

Havent worked out the cals as I'm trying to wean myself off MFP, but a rough estimate is 1500-1600.

Urgh! Exhausted this morning. My dog is struggling with a long term heart condition, for which he was put on medication about 3 weeks ago. He's not adjusting well to the medicines and is restless at night, wees in the house and generally needs care and attention day and night. He seems to settle to sleep at about 2am, but then needs letting out for the toilet by 7am at the latest. So I'm only getting four or fives hours sleep some nights.

I then find I'm craving sugar through the day to give me a pick me up. It's also impacting on my ability to run or go to the gym. I'd planned a 10k run this morning, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I tell myself to be a bit kind to myself. I shouldn't expect to cope with caring for a much loved, sick dog 24/7 with the lack of sleep and worry that entails as well as maintaining a busy execuse schedule. The flip side is I know if I eat right and find the time and energy for exercise I'll cope better with the trials of caring for the dog. So I guess the key in this situation is balance. Maintain a relatively healthy eating plan and do some light exercise. I know I'm a bit of an all or nothing person so moderation and balance are difficult concepts for me.

So bearing all that in mind, today I shall ditch the 10k run and aim for either a long walk, or if it keeps raining I'll go for a swim instead.

Food wise I'm going to try and stay on plan. Getting into a cycle of sugar highs and lows is really not going to help.

B porridge with soya milk light, seeds and sweet freedom.
L berries, fat free greek yog and nuts
S all bran biscuit and skinny mocha
D prawn stir fry with brown rice
S dark choc

The good news (yes, there is some) is that the scales were down this morning from 9.13.25 to 9.11.5 so it looks like a lot of my holiday weight gain was water weight.

Back