Rhyannasmums low GL diary

Rhyannasmum

Hello everyone,

This seems like quite a quiet forum, but perhaps there are lots of lurkers or just people happily getting on with it?

Im one of those people that's tried every diet under the sun over the years and my weights been up and down like a yo yo. I had some health niggles at the beginning of this year and decided I needed to get a grip on my weight once and for all.

I lost 4 stone with Lighter Life VLCD and then kept it off for two months doing low carb, but I was getting bored with that and had a flirt with calorie cycling, but I was having too many high calorie days and not enough low calorie days. I then looked into primal eating, but it's even more restrictive and I was eating huge portions of allowed foods and my weight started to go up.

So here I am at GL eating which is actually what Lighter Life recommend as a weight maintenance plan. Ive ploughed my way through Patrick Holfords Low GL Diet Bible which I've borrowed from the library and I've put together an eating plan for myself. I started yesterday and am down 1.75lbs on the scales this morning.

I am massively into healthy eating and good nutrition and being a reformed carb addict I am very much aware of the negative impacts of too many carbs and processed/refined carbs. I was successfully maintaining my weight loss on a low carb diet, but I don't think it was sustainable for me in the long term. I'm hoping that Low GL will help me to maintain and be sustainable.

This was yesterday's menu (you'll see I like to eat small and often).

B: 1 slice seeded batch bread with butter and marmite
S: 1 nectarine
L: cottage cheese, tomato and spring onion mixed together.
S: Lighterlife bar
D: chicken salad
S: 3 squares G&B dark choc and a Cadburys options hot choc.

Total calories 1112

Exercise 30 min treadmill, 20 min strength training, 15 min swimming

Today's meal plan

B: stewed rhubarb with 0% Greek yog and a sprinkling of nuts and seeds
S: apple and a slice of cheese
L: homemade creamy swede soup with a slice of multiseed bread
D: brown pasta and roasted Mediterranean vegetables
S: G &B dark choc and a Cadburys hot choc

Calories 1347
Exercise 45 mins dog walking

OK so yesterday went well and I'm down another .75lb this morning.

Eating small and often is really helping to keep me away from large portions. I know I'll be eating again in another 2-3 hours so I don't need to fill up.

Today's meal plan

B: stewed rhubarb with 0% Greek yog and a sprinkling of nuts and seeds
S: 3 oatcakes with peanut butter
L: homemade creamy swede soup with a slice of multiseed bread
S: Pear and a few nuts
D: stir fry turkey and vegetables
S: G &B dark choc and a Cadburys Options hot choc

Calories 1520
Exercise 20 mins treadmill 20 mins strength training 15 mins swim 30 min dog walking

Hi! You're right, it's quiet at the moment. :)

You are doing really well by the sound of things! :) one question, is there any protein in the creamy swede soup? It sounds quite interesting! :D

plum x

Hello Plum,

Very little in the way of protein in the creamy swede soup I'm afraid. But I had a pile of veg that needed using up. Recipe is an Anthony Worral Thompson one, available on the BBC Food website if you're interested.. I'd use more stock if I made it again, it was very thick.

Very pleased that I'm down another half a pound this morning. That's 3lb in 3 days!

Im enjoying having more carbs of the bread and pasta variety, but still sticking to under 100g carbs a day.

Eating small and often is turning out to be the best success of eating this way. I never leave it so long between meals that I am hungry. Never eat until I'm full and, psychologically, knowing that I can eat every 2-3 hours stops any potential feelings of deprivation.

So today's menu is

B: 2 slices of multiseed bread with butter and marmite
S: 3 oatcakes with peanut butter
L: tuna salad
S: Greek yogurt with honey and seeds
D: ham salad

Cal: 1363

I'm planning a long run this morning. I have the route in my head, but not sure how far it will be or how long it will take me, but it incorporates a rather large hill! I'll update later the distance etc.
* run was 7.85k which took me 45 mins and used 450 cals. Coming down the big hill was worse than going up. My poor knees.

Last edited:
Are you sure you're eating enough to keep fit and well? Take a look at the calculator for minimum calories for weight loss for runners. You risk slowing your metabolism if you don't have enough, which is never good for weight loss. Obviously not really any of my business, but I know I like a bit of feedback when I'm organised enough (not this week) to complete my food diary.

Lose weight | Running for Fitness

Thanks Lucky 7. I'm new to Low GL so feedback very welcome. Sadly I think my metabolism is well and truly shot to pieces. Years of yo yo dieting and then 4 months on a vlcd this year seems to have left me with a very slow metabolism. I recently tried eating between 1600-1800 cals a day and gained almost 4lbs over 2 weeks.

Im hoping low GL will help to normalise my metabolic rate. I'm Just a couple of pounds away from my weight loss goal, but my body fat percentage is still around 30% and I'd like to reduce that. Something else I'm hoping eating Low GL will help with. I've got high hopes haven't I.:D

Well, looking at your stats you've done brilliantly overall. I'm fairly new to Low GI myself, following mainly the Rick Gallop guidance from his books, and that University of Sydney site for recipe ideas (not that I ever stick completely to a recipe!!) and GI ratings of different foods. Bit of a learning process this one. I've been used to the Slimming World plan, so this is a whole new ball game!!

Are you eating back your exercise calories? Eating back at least part of them (maybe 2/3 or 3/4) would give your body recovery fuel and your net calories would still be near your goal. :)

There's a school of thought on the myfitnesspal site that says you can do a 'metabolism reset' by eating your maintenance calories for 8 weeks, then reduce your calories by 15-20% per day to go back to losing (and have a maintenance week every 6 weeks to keep your metabolism from permanently dropping again). However you do have to be prepared for some gain at the beginning, especially if your metabolism is a bit wonky due to dieting etc. Nerves of steel needed I think, based on what I have read in the eat more to weigh less group there! (note I am not suggesting people should use that forum instead of the lovely Minimins - I don't post there, I just read)

I haven't tried it myself but do try to have a maintenance week every six weeks or so as well as a week off exercise to give my muscles a proper rest. (the week of rest is traditionally more for serious weight-lifter types but I like to kid myself that it's doing me some good :D lol)

I am also trying to drop my body fat %, it seems slow going at times but I read somewhere that for 'normal' people expecting a drop of 1% or so per month is reasonable.

Thanks for that info plum foodie. Particularly interested in the metabolism reset theory.

I agree that reducing BF % is a slow process. There also seems to be a wide variation in what's an acceptable level and what's not. I have seen charts which put me as obese based on my BF percentage and others that say I'm on the high side of average for my age. Difficult to know what to believe other than that the evidence of my own eyes tells me I've still got too much fat stored around my middle.

Todays menu looks like this:

B: stewed rhubarb, blueberries, l/f greek yog, sprinkled with nuts and seeds
S: apple and a slice of cheese
L: half tin of beans on 1 slice of multiseed toast
S: lighterlife bar
D: egg salad
S: few squares of dark choc

Calories 1348

No formal exercise today as my knees are groaning after yesterday's run.

Last edited:
Weight has stabilised at 9.11.5 for the past couple of days. I guess that's the water weight gone, now we can see some fat loss I hope.

Todays menu

B: blueberries and raspberries with Greek yog, nuts and seeds
S: nectarine and a slice of cheese
L: 3 oatcakes, hummus and crudites
S: 2 oatcakes with marmite
D: chicken and avocado salad
S: lighterlife bar

Calories 1530

Exercise will be a medium length, mid paced run. Will aim for about 5k in 30 mins.

Last edited:
Another half pound down this morning to 9.11. Was pleased that body fat was also down by 0.4%.

Todays menu is mainly about using stuff up as we go away tomorrow for a short break.

B: 2 multiseed toast with butter and marmite
L: homemade veg soup
S: Greek yog and seeds
D: chicken salad
S: dark choc

Cals 1363

Exercise will be some strength training at the gym and a gentle swim.

Last edited:
Kids are off to adventure camp for a few days today and hubby and I are going touring on our motorcycle for a few days. We'll be staying with various friends and family and visiting elderly aunts etc.

Goodness knows how I'm going to manage to eat low GL, but I'll do my best to be careful in the choices I make, which is about all I can do given the circumstances. I shall be stashing some lighterlife bars in the panniers for when we are out and about. Most evenings we are eating out with friends and relatives so I can make my own choices, but if the elderly aunts have made cake I'm going to have to come up with some creative excuses so as not to offend. It's only for 4 days.

Im taking my running kit with me as we'll be on the south coast and it'd be nice to have a few runs by the sea.

Bye for now.

Managed to stay low GL today. Less salad and veg than I would normally have though and not much to drink. MFP says cals today were 1565. No exercise today, just lots of travelling. Staying with the mil tonight who is trying to feed me chocolate biscuits and brandy. Yuck! What a combination.

Hoping to have a run along the sea front tomorrow morning before we set off travelling again.

Lovely run this morning along the sea front, despite the heavy shower. 5.65k in 35 mins.

Have had a leftover Lighterlife Porridge pack for breakfast (double portion). No idea what the rest of the day will hold food wise, will just have to play it by ear.

Another day survived eating Low GL on the hoof. I ate out at lunchtime and had a lobster salad with some granary bread. This evening I've had oatcakes and cottage cheese and raspberries and Greek yog with chopped nuts. I also had a lighterlife bar with a coffee this afternoon. Daily cals are 1361.

Planning another run along the seafront for tomorrow morning before we head off on the motorbike towards Brighton and a visit to my husbands elderly aunt. Fingers crossed she's not baked especially.

Runs along the seafront sound lovely. Enjoy. x

Another day survived. Had 2 slices of white baguette at lunchtime which I know is really not on the low GL list. But turned down cake and choccy biccies at aunties.

Just had a short run this morning. Just a bit less than 5k in just a bit less than 30 mins.

MFP says cals for today come in at 1491.

Few jobs to do for mil tomorrow morning then shall be heading home and back to proper food and routine.

Ive surprised myself by craving salad and apples while I've been away. I eat huge salads at home and restaurant portions of salad always seem a bit of a token effort rather than the main event, which is how I make mine. Also been surprised that on occassions I've gone long periods between meals as we've been travelling and I've not had any of those low blood sugar moments that can leave me feeling shaky and irritable. I guess that's a good thing and it means my blood sugars are not spiking and crashing like they used to.

They say that if you're going to eat something offplan that within an hour or so of exercise is the best time to do so, because the body uses up everything you eat in that period very quickly to replenish itself, so the baguette might have fallen in this period?

Good news that you're craving healthy food and avoiding blood sugar drops, obviously what you're doing is working for you. :)

Back