Run down, depression and exhausted most of the time.

*Trying-again*

Plodding on til its gone
Hi just wondered if anyone else suffers from juse being generally run down and exhausted most of the time?

Not sure if its to do with me having pcos and depression? Also suffer with blood sugar highs and lows.

Just feel mentally and physically exhausted and about every 3 months I get a cold leading to either a chest infection or a virus. I get bronchitis 2-3 times a year and had broncial pneumonia 3 yrs ago which I think may have weakened my immune system.

Does anyone know of any foods or supplements to boost the immune system and generally help with generally feeling like crap most of the time. Its getting to the stage where Im struggling to function at work aswell as at home. My doctor isnt very good and just gave me antibiotics which i finished last week but still have a bad chesty cough and no energy.

I restarted slimming world again about a week ago and not on any medication.

Sorry to sound so negative just hope to feel normal sometime soon.

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated x

Are you diabetic? because that sounds awfully familiar somehow.

I was constantly getting bad chest infections when my blood sugars were out of control and my weight was high. Since getting both under control I havnt had a single episode. I dont know if it was getting the bloods under control or the weight, or both that sorted it, but im loads better now.

Exhaustion, depression and feeling run down are classic symptoms of diabetes, plus you say your blood sugars are all over the place. What does your doctor say about it?

Hi Lynn, I didnt know all that could be a sign of diabetes.

I havnt had a test for it sounds like I need to pluck up the courage and go back to the doctors to get it checked out x

Ive been doing sw for a while and have recently started doing zumba on the xbox. Ive found that eating more fruit/veg, eating less processed stuff and doing regular exercise has made me feel so mucb better in myself. Im less tired and my moods have inproved greatly.

Hi Lynn, I didnt know all that could be a sign of diabetes.

I havnt had a test for it sounds like I need to pluck up the courage and go back to the doctors to get it checked out x

You must get it checked, if you dont want to see your doctor most chemists will offer a free check, or you can buy a cheap blood glucose reader from Boots for about £10 to £15. If you decide to check yourself, do it first thing in the morning before you eat, any number over 7 and you should see your doctor.

You may not be diabetic but glucose intolerant, similar symptoms but not quite diabetic. A low GI diet would probably improve your symptoms drastically - you should ask your gp for referral to a dietitian.

Thanks everyone.

Ive got a doctors appointment the day after tomorow (fri) :eek:

Really hoping its not diabetes but have a bad feeling it is as feel so rubbish from the minute I wake up to when I go to bed :( Maybe the pcos is getting worse or it could be the depression as wary of taking the medication as they cause weightgain so cant win really x

Hi Trying

Good advice above and glad you are going to get checked out. Just wanted to say that if all checks out fine is it not worth giving medication for the depression another go if thats what you and your doc think is the cause after investigations? Some antidepressants can cause weight gain but not all. Can't name any as different ones have different effects on different people. One made me lose weight but didn't help the depression, I gained loads on another and now my current one doesn't make me gain but I can lose on a plan when taking it. Just thought it may be worth trying something to help you feel a bit better if all of your tests come back ok.
Good luck I hope you find the solution for you x

Just wanted to add just because you were prescribed one thing that doesnt work well/ has side effects, after giving it a good go you can always ask to be changed there are loads out there so hopefully you can find the best one for you x

Thanks cokes :)

will let you know what the doctor says on fri. Quite keen on feeling sort of normal again and it looks as though one way or another Im going to have to take medication as not taking any isnt doing any good x

cardio helps take that tired exhausted feeling away, also drinking a lot of water is very beneficial to this.

Im trying to do more walking but exhausted afterwards. There was a time when I would feel energised after exercise. I used to go to the gym or an aerobics class and be full of energy afterwards.

Not sure why things have changed but hopefully the doctor can shed some light on it.

Not sure if its to do with me having pcos and depression? Also suffer with blood sugar highs and lows.

Just feel mentally and physically exhausted and about every 3 months I get a cold leading to either a chest infection or a virus. I get bronchitis 2-3 times a year and had broncial pneumonia 3 yrs ago which I think may have weakened my immune system.
Any advice/ideas would be appreciated x

Hiya Karen. Can I ask how you know you have BG (blood glucose) highs and lows? Did you know diabetes and pcos often go hand in hand? Stems from insulin resistance. Also diabetes can weaken the immune system, leading to repeated infections. I am not saying you are diabetic or trying to frighten you but it'd be good to get your sugar levels checked just in case. Symptoms dont often appear until the condition has been present for a while.:)

I had blood checked about 3 years ago but cant remember what levels were but at that time but the doctor said i wasnt insulin resistant. Although Im not even sure she even checked for it to be honest. I didnt have any of it explained and felt rushed at the follow up appointment so this time im going to make sure I get the time I need. I have a needle phobia so having a blood test is a big deal and feel that time was a complete waste of time as didnt really get anywhere.

The doctor knows I get very dizzy if get too hungry and crave sweet things aswell as salty things quite often. But think that is normal with alot of people. When I was younger the doctor said the dizziness is because of sugar level highs and lows but thats as far as it went.

Going to make sure I dont get fobbed off this time and have everything explained by the doctor clearly as at the end of the day its my health thats suffering, will let you know how I get on tommorow x

You might want to consider giving a low carb diet a go. It's sorted out all my sugar ups and downs plus i now have loads more energy. I had tried low gi but it wasnt enough! It can also help those with diabetes or who think they are heading that way.

Thanks Katie maybe more red days instead of green would help as would be less carbs. Think it will take a bit of getting used to as red days usually mean being hungry whereas green days seem more filling.

Hi again Trying

Just called in to see how things went at the doctors today. Also noticed your other thread about Venlafaxine. I remember that the venlafaxine is considered to be one of the more stronger antidepressants in terms of ability to lift mood and have heard of many having a good result with it, but have no personal experience of it re weight.

Also just wanted to chip in about the Low carb that Katie mentioned. Katie is active in the Atkins forum as I am which is a low carb diet. Just wanted to say that normally eating more protein makes you full, as least it seems to with many of us doing low carb/ atkins. I have to say I am very rarely hungry on low carb and it isn't all just eating meat, you get to eat veg too, just lower carb veg. I eat more now than I used to. Maybe worth considering but all depends on how much you love your carbs like pasta etc as to if it would be for you. Take a look around the atkins forum if you want to know more about low carbing. Dukan is another low carb diet, but that is also low fat, but maybe worth looking at.
The main thing is sorting out what is going on for you though. So please let us know how you got on today at docs. Hope it went well.

Kat1e said:
You might want to consider giving a low carb diet a go. It's sorted out all my sugar ups and downs plus i now have loads more energy. I had tried low gi but it wasnt enough! It can also help those with diabetes or who think they are heading that way.

I am a fan of red days now too! Ive been doing them the last couple of weeks and they seem to have sorted out my cravings etc for all things sweet and I find im less hungry as well. It does tend to leave me with more energy in the afternoon after lunch as well.

I had a red day today and going to try and have a few more during the week.

Interesting thread :) I have a lot of similar symptoms that I've been putting down to being run down as I'm a carer to my autistic son plus my other two kids? I'm also exhausted lethargic and have the worlds most useless immune system!! If there's a germ going I swear my body just sucks it in!!!
I've been back to dieting for several weeks now and I'm quite worried that on the few occasions I've 'treated' myself I've reacted very badly to the sugar? IE a massive crash and being dizzy, and incredibly sleepy? I'm fine with a few squares of dark choc say but I had a cadbury flake the one night and felt awfull. I had to sleep it off for an hr?
I'm wondering how normal this is??

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Would strongly suggest that you at least do GI and see how that works. Sugar ups and downs are a disaster for both your energy and immune system!

I found GI diet really liberating - i could still eat pasta and bread just the healthier version! The problem for me is that it didn't take away my cravings so i could eat far too many nuts, fruit etc and then still be starving mid afternoon. I always said i could give up anything except pasta - but for me i am now clear that my body and carbs, especially sugar, are not a good mix!!

Good luck finding what suits your body best:)

Back