Running

Nigel g

Daft Bloke
Hi all, How are you feeling today?
Any runners/joggers amongst you? I am considering doing it, I used to like running when i was in my youth of course, I ran when i was in my 20's. Not sure if i should do it now I worry about wearing out my ankles or knees. Are these worries a bit silly? has any one got advice on running. Has/does your weight loss journey been enhanced by running and if so what tips do you have to start off. I like to walk but im feeling energetic and would like to consider it. Long winded post sorry about that.
Nigel. :)

Hi Nigel. I have bother with my knees so don't run. I use an elliptical cross trainer instead as it is low impact. Got it cheap on ebay but it does take up a lot of room which running doesn't. Guess it is whatever suits you. Good luck.

Running is great and you really catch the bug for it! Try the couch to 5k routine (runners world website), and youre never too old! Just try it! If the joints hurt there are tools for that knee straps etc, let us know how it goes!

I would recommend the c25k too to get you back into it, builds up easily and if you struggle at one week you can just repeat it until you feel ready to move on.

I notice it helps more with inch loss than weight loss

Good luck

I am freezing cold after parkrun!

I lost 10lbs by running alone and eating more than ever, it's a very good weight loss tool.

If you build up the mileage slowly, your knees should withstand.

hi, i have been a runner since being with my bf matt, he runs 3 times a week and is doing london marathon for 4th time in april. i have ran race for life twice and run at gym, get urself some decent trainers and ipod and give it a try. i started by walking to a lamp post and running to the rest then walking then running. after a while u want to go 2 lamp post and walk one, trust me sounds mad but works!!! c25k is fantastic too, i have used both. good luck and let us know how u get on

I lost about 10 stone a few years back and started running (I had never done exercise really before that) and was a dedicated runner for 5 or 6 years, then for various reasons couldn't run and started to put the weight on again...

I am now trying to get back into it - it is one of the most effective calorie burners for time taken!

I'm currently following the C25K programme (they have apps for iPhones and Android, so you can have someone telling you when to stop and start in your headphones!) and it is quite a gradual do-able programme so far - I am at the end of week 3.

You must make sure you get decent running trainers though so you don't get any injuries, other than that you don't need anything special, although you probably know that if you've done it previously.

Hi and thanks for the info and help. I am lucky to have such a fab resource at my fingertips on most topics to do with losing weight and related stuff. I am going to buy some decent trainers as was recomended before i embark on any running. I fancy the lampost idea there are plenty about to practice on. I have put a new seat on my bike so ill nip around on that today. I'll get some trainers today me thinks and keep you good people informed of my progress, I think it helps me and hopefully others might like to join in with their experiences.:kissass::D

I've been dabbling in running. I'm not disciplined enough to follow the c25k properly but have been building at my own pace.

Last night I managed 2k at 7.4kph which took just over 16 mins.

The last few runs I have done 1.5 - 2k, I have felt a slightly uncomfortable pain at the very top of my leg and into the period pain sort of area. Its nothing major but I thought it may be weight related and so I will not be trying anything longer than 2k until I get another stone off.

i used to run and get pain in shoulder, got decent sports bra from shock absorber called run plus... with level 4 or 5 and its all fine, my boobs dont even move, lol

Hi ive just got back from a run, my first one. I bought trainers today and a pedometer. I got the trainers that were recommended on the running world site that Hannahkw1 quoted in her post. I ran 3.21 km ive yet to work out what that is in miles. It was tough i did stop a lot and walk but i did the lampost thing and felt ok. My eyes were streaming and my nose was running and it was funny but my feet didn't seem to know how to run lol. Any road up I shall give it another go tomorrow. Sarah my girlfriend says i burnt of the equivalent of a bag and a half of crisps Is that amazing or what!!:D

Hi ive just got back from a run, my first one..... Any road up I shall give it another go tomorrow.

Remember that rest days are just as an important part of your training as the running - try and have a day off between runs so that your muscles can recover and get stronger. You can do something else, but just not running. Running every day could cause you to pick up injuries.

Thanks for the encouragement it's working for me. I hope very much to inspire others to try and exercise this way. I shall take my bike out tonight and cycle to my mum and dad's which is 3 miles away and ill take it easy. Once again thank you for taking time to read my posts.

Hi again, I went on my bike last night to see my parents.(3miles) It was windy and I did think it was picking on me at one point. No matter which direction I rode in the wind was blowing me backwards. As a consequence my legs are aching in my lower calves. I will go for a walk later, I will go for a run tomorrow before my weigh in. Well at least that's the plan.:D

Hello all,

I found a Run/Walk programme in an old issue of Slimming World magazine (Aug 2009). I started 4 weeks ago and wow it is such a brilliant programme. Unlike Nigel, I would never have just gone out and started running, but with my mobile phone set on the interval timer I started Week One... I ran for one minute and walked for three for 4 reps, as the weeks have gone by the walking time has gone down to two minutes and the reps are now up to 8. I feel so much fitter, I can feel muscles in my legs and I feel so much stronger. I certainly agree that the rest days between the runs are very important. Yesterday I started week 4 and I decided to also head right and uphill from my house, rather than the usual flat route to the left, man...my legs are aching today!! But I am geared up for tomorrow morning, knowing how great I will feel after completing tomorrow's run/walk.

I will post the programme out of the magazine in my weight loss diary tomorrow, as a few people have asked me about it.

Take care, happy running...TB

I for one would like to read the sw copy you have there. I have just come back from a 2hr walk I planned my route before I went and I set myself a staged plan. I had one land mark to reach for 1 mile and another for 2 miles etc.. I felt in the mood so went up to 3 landmarks and walked back. Total of 6 miles. Blister on my foot now though, I am resting tomorrow because it's my weigh in. I hope to put in a run on Thursday. I am hoping agianst hope that will have lost nearly 2 stone. I was 6 pounds off that last week. So at least 2lbs off would be nice. I am so flattered that one or two people have read my updates and felt inspired to have a go at exercise al fresco style. Keep it up guys your keeping me going and i will post my progess if it helps. Tell me to stop posting if it bugs you though.:D

Ten Week Walk to Run Plan Slimming World Mag Aug 2009

Week 1
Monday Run 60 secs, walk 3 mins. Repeat 3 more times (16 mins)
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Run 60 secs, walk 3 mins, Repeat 3 more times (16 mins)
Thursday Rest
Friday Run 60 secs, walk 3 mins. Repeat 3 more times (16 mins)
Saturday Rest
Sunday 30 minute brisk walk

Week 2
Monday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 5 more times (18 mins)
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins, Repeat 5 more times (18 mins)
Thursday Rest
Friday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 5 more times (18 mins)
Saturday Rest

Week 3
Monday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 6 more times (21 mins)
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins, Repeat 6 more times (21 mins)
Thursday Rest
Friday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 6 more times (21 mins)
Saturday Rest

Week 4
Monday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 7 more times (24 mins)
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins, Repeat 7 more times (24 mins)
Thursday Rest
Friday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 7 more times (24 mins)
Saturday Rest
Sunday 35 minute brisk walk

Week 5
Monday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 8 more times (27 mins)
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Do a different kind of exercise session - anything from brisk walking or cycling to a fitness class. Aim for a 30 minute gentle session or a mix of two 15 minute sessions, totalling 30 minutes.
Thursday Rest
Friday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 8 more times (27 mins)
Saturday Rest
Sunday Run 60 secs, walk 2 mins. Repeat 8 more times (27 mins)

So that is the first 5 weeks, time for lunch, will post the last 5 weeks later!!

Happy running!!

Back