Russiandoll's Diary

I had one of those GP referral thingies Mich and that was at the local council gym too. I went twice and hated it ... the changing rooms stank of cheesy trainers and 'damp', there was mildew on the breeze-block walls and the equipment was second rate.

This place is heaven in comparison. All the equipment is less than 18 months old, the gym area is light and fully air conditioned and the jacuzzi and pool are just lush. All around, there are remnant of the old original church ... a couple of wooden pews in the luxury changing room, stained glass arched windows and high, high vaulted ceilings. It feels a million miles away from 'big corporate gym' so I think it's more likely I'll settle into it. I'm actually quite looking forward to it

I had one of those GP referral thingies Mich and that was at the local council gym too. I went twice and hated it ... the changing rooms stank of cheesy trainers and 'damp', there was mildew on the breeze-block walls and the equipment was second rate.

This place is heaven in comparison. All the equipment is less than 18 months old, the gym area is light and fully air conditioned and the jacuzzi and pool are just lush. All around, there are remnant of the old original church ... a couple of wooden pews in the luxury changing room, stained glass arched windows and high, high vaulted ceilings. It feels a million miles away from 'big corporate gym' so I think it's more likely I'll settle into it. I'm actually quite looking forward to it

Gym at our council not quite that bad but I'm still......:jelous::jelous::jelous:

(as in green with envy not sick - cos they look like they are throwin up!!)....

Enjoy yourself it sounds heavenly .....;) (geddit... heavenly.... churches... oh OK I'm off to bed....:rolleyes::eek:)

thats faaaab debbie.. sounds wonderful.. eventually i hope to do the same.. i have this want.. that eventually i want to be able to run well.. like.. and just go get my stuff on.. and go running.. you know.. cos its sooo good for you.. and it makes you feel better..
eventually i hope you follow in your footsteps.. and hope to find as nice a gym as you have.. amazing price too..!

Hope your little'n is good..

Love Cat x x

Thanks Adam. I love using the resistance machines and interval training really worked for me when I lived up North and went to a gym for a couple of years (lost 6 stone, felt great but regained, blah blah blah).

Cat - I don't think I'll EVER run. Tried it when I was 12st - hated it. Cycling was fine, brisk walking was fine but running just ain't my bag baby!

I've made an appointment to see my doctor on Friday afternoon. I'm getting a bit concerned about my mood swings - they're extreme and the gaps between the lows are getting closer and closer. I'm still fighting on (joining a gym, battling on with uni work etc) but it's becoming increasingly difficult to 'see the point'. As always, my weight is at the centre of it all ... things have become so entangled though that I no longer know if the weight is the symptom or the problem.

I'm going to take the plunge and ask about WLS.

Good Debbie - I'm pleased, it's high time your GP knew how you are REALLY feeling and I hope he gets on and offers you some real help.

I agree with you about the running - i've got too many bits that might flap about to risk it!

Love

Wow! I LOVE the look of your gym Debbie.

I'm also right there with you about the running too ... bleurgh!! I don't think I could ever use the treadmill at the gym I go to except maybe for brisk walking as I think I'd just look ridiculous even attempting a slow jog. I haven't as much as even run for a bus since I left school ... many MANY years ago! *lol*

I tend to do about 10 mins on the rowing machine to get my heart rate up and then move on to resistance/weights to (try to!) tone up a bit. I use our local council gym which is pretty good actually - modern and well equipped, not too expensive and also has a pool, sauna and steam room if I wanted to use those too .. but of course nowhere near as lush as yours :p (Memo to self: you haven't been anywhere the gym in over a week you lazy moo. Go today!! :rolleyes:)

Good luck with the GP appointment. Like all your other friends, I'll be waiting with great interest to see what he says both about the mood swings and also WLS.

Lots of love

I like the rower too but have to be a little bit careful as I have a bit of a dodgy knee (tripped over the cat at the top of the stairs in 1995 carrying my, then, 5 week old daughter. Hurt my knee trying not to fall - all very traumatic). My fave fave piece of equipment is the cross trainer (how's yours Barb?)

I quite like the treadmill but, like you, only ever use it to brisk walk with maybe a bit of an incline chucked in for good measure. I remember when I was looking for a gym a couple of years ago, my sister was going to a local one - very 'gung ho' - and the trainer had her pounding the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time ... that gym was struck straight off my list before I even looked at it!

I find running painful, ungainly and just downright WRONG (not to mention the Tena lady issue :eek:). I have bits bobbing about where I didn't even know I had bits! I can still remember doing that Junior Great South Run in 2006 <shudders at the memory!!>

Nope - running is definitely for the young, the firm and the insane.

..... <wonders which category Mindless falls into. Hmmmm> :rolleyes:

I didn't beat about the bush; came straight out and asked 'what are my chances of being referred for a gastric bypass?'
...the doctor came back with 'You're not nearly big enough'. Well, although it was nice to hear I 'wasn't big enough' from a doctor for once, I was gutted that the WLS route is closed to me (going private isn't an option). Apparently, you can only be considered if your BMI is over 50 and you also have serious weigh-related health issues.

Oh well ... plodding on it is then. :sigh:

I went to the gym for my induction today (I'm getting quite a dab hand at inductions). I didn't actually do a workout though - will save that for another day.

I think that should put your weight in perspective RD - you are not big enough for serious intervention, GREAT!

This gym business is the best thing you can do, I am sure it is going to help on every level and whilst you are toning up and relaxing (all at the same time) you may just find your weight queitly going down a bit!

Love

I think that should put your weight in perspective RD - you are not big enough for serious intervention, GREAT!

Agreed completely!

What I forgot to say was that we discussed my predisposition to binge and she said that, under the circumstances, she thought I was coping marvellously and no wonder I couldn't devote my total focus to dieting. She asked if I thought I'd benefit from anti-depressants ... I said I'd rather not. She then suggested I try Reductil as an aid to help with some weight loss. She said it may or may not help but the only way to find out was to give it a go for a month and see.
She also said she felt it was pointless referring me to a dietician as she thought I was probably pretty clued up on what constitutes a good diet.

She was fantastic and I'll definitely try to see her again but now I know why there is always a month's wait to get an appointment with her. Anyway, I digress ... I took my first Reductil tab this morning (I cant really say I've tried everything until I truly have). At the moment I feel quite sick - a bit 'hungover' but I think it might be down to the flu and pneumonia jab she gave me. It's not bad enough for me to take to my bed or anything but I absolutely do NOT want to eat anything.

So ... we'll see how things go with Reductil and a few visits to the gym. I'll also be using CD as a supplement and do something along the lines of the 790 / 1000 plan.

Good luck Debbie. And the gym looks beautiful.

My dr is like that but it's worth making an appointment weeks in advance just to see her

Irene xx

Thats it Debbie, give it a go! You may well be feeling 'off' after your flu jab, I did for several days after mine. Sorry, thats a bit depressing isn't it? I'm sure you'll be fine in no time and i will watch your progress with the reductil with great interest.

Love

Hows the reductil going RD?

I'm on day three Barb so maybe a little early to tell. The sickness has worn off so I'm guessing that was the flu / pneumonia jab after all. I do get hungry but it seems to be only when I should be (meal time-ish) and then not ravenously so. If I can learn to be moderate then it might make a difference. Where it might fall down is when I eat for reasons other than hunger.

I'm unwilling to get all excited about this as I've fallen foul so many times before ... getting all keen thinking 'this is it!' then failing yet again. I'm reticent to say the least but giving it a fair crack. So far there are no adverse side effects.

I was 17st 6lb on Monday ... no idea what I'll be next Monday but I'm deliberately avoiding VIGOUROUS dieting just to see what happens. I went out to lunch with DD1 and her DH, DD2 and her DH, DD3 and the new baby came too.
We went to a carvery (all you can eat); I had some turkey and gammon, 1 roast potato (not a whole spud), 1 boiled new potato and some veg. It was plenty and I was full. Normally I would have been wracked with guilt afterwards for having eaten ANYTHING but I've made a conscious effort not to be ... as meals go, it wasn't one to be guilty about IMO.

Anyway - I'm hoping I won't gain this week ... a loss would be fab but as I'm not dieting, I may STS until the pieces slot together.

I had my English Language exam yesterday (very tough, very technical but behind me now). A bunch of us met in the canteen to do some pre-exam swotting and have a bite to eat before the exam at 2pm.

Anyway, as you know, I've been trying hard to adjust my twisted thinking around food so I've been taking Reductil and decided not to ACTIVELY diet just to see if I could eat normally with no binges for a week. I didn't mind if I didn't lose weight at the end of it - I just wanted to see if I could think like a slim person around food. Up to yesterday I was doing ok and haven't binged since Saturday (or even had the urge to).

So - I'm in the canteen yesterday and decide to have some lunch. I chose a salad pot ... you take one of those little clear plastic pots with a hinged lid and select what you want. I had some lettuce, 2 new potatoes (cut in half = 4 pieces) in herb mayo, 2 spoons of celery/apple/grape salad and 2 mini pineapple rings on top. I fancied a slice of home-made apricot flapjack for dessert. Washed down with a bottle of sparkling water ... I enjoyed it and didn't feel it was excessive. I didn't feel stuffed or bloated after either.

My friend, who is also struggling with her diet, had a ham roll, a packet of crisps and a mars bar.
As we walked to the exam, I mentioned how nervous I was and my friend produced a large bar of Galaxy, snapped off a 'line' and said 'I think we need a sugar fix', offering it to me.
I broke a single square off the end and said thanks and popped it into my mouth (again, not a major crime).

Suddenly, another of the mature students, a French woman (nice but blunt) said out loud "Oh you two are always eating!"
I was gobsmacked and too stunned to say anything. My friend, who is very bold, said 'Yeah - that's why I'm fat ... I'm not in denial you know'. I just clammed up. She made that comment obviously based on the fact she'd seen me eat lunch.
If I had been slim, would her perception have been that I was 'always eating'? I never snack or pick at Uni and I usually don't even have the flapjack - I only had it yesterday because I fancied it and I wanted something to sustain me through the exam.

That comment has put me right back to square 1. I'm now paranoid about food again and feel I have to 'apologise' for doing something that every f***ing slim person takes for granted ... eating.

Last night I had my first mini binge since I started Reductil ... managed to limit it to 2 bowls of shreddies but I feel crap about myself today.
Sorry about the moan - just wanted to get it off my chest.

Oh my Goodness RD....I can't believe that this happened to you yesterday too. We had a Cheese and Wine information evening at school yesterday, I went to the cheese table to get a couple of nibbles (not much at all, had ss'ed all day and it was pretty late) and when I turned I saw the secretary and one of the assistants talking together and looking at me I asked if everything was OK, and was met by, 'You've done so well Paula, you really ought to be a little more careful!':eek::eek::eek::eek:

Felt the same as you.....am I to never eat again....especially in front of people who knew me B-CD...

....Love to you RD, you really are a star, I wouldn't beat myself up about the shreddies....just keep celebrating the days when you do a great job.

BTW, what is reductil?

Back