Ruth's GI Diary

B- homemade grainy bread with half can baked beans and a poached egg
L- there was enough kangaroo stew left over for one, so we made it into a soup for two with lentils and cabbage. one piece grainy bread toast
S- 2 NS sweets, skinny latte
D- half a large chicken breast, bubble and squeek made with left over mash from yesterday with cabbage and spring onions added, served with broccoli,carrots,green beans and gravy. I'm sure gravy is hideously high GI, but I don't care cos i love it!
S- not had yet, but def planning on having a light beer later : )

Looking to start

Hi

I am quite interested in starting a low GI diet as I have just found out all my hormones are up the spout and read that a low GI diet is good for controlling blood sugar levels...

I was wondering how you started, did you get a book?? I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all really. Did slimming world lost a stone then put on a stone as I thought it was a weird way of eating, i'm hoping that low GI would fit in better when cooking for the other half

Any help would be great

x x

Ruth, hope you are still doing well. Still off ciggies? You are doing great especially as you have a cast on your wrist.
Have a good week.

Nixy - hi! I find GI really works for me; I guess the main thing is to find an eating plan/diet that fits in well with your life and isn't too painful! The book I read first is 'The New Glucose Revolution' by Prof Jennie Brand Miller - she is head of the nutritional unit at the university of Sydney and pioneered the research into the glycaemic index. She also oversees all of the food testing for GI and you can access all of the glycaemic index food database on the university GI website, which is www.glycaemicindex.com.
The book I read was out the library, and was general GI stuff, included for diabetics/athletes; she has a couple specifically for dieting
The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Guide to Losing Weight: The Only Authoritative Guide to Weight Loss Using the Glycemic Index: Amazon.co.uk: Jennie Brand-Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell, Johanna C. Burani: Books
and The low GI Diet: Lose Weight with Smart Carbs: Amazon.co.uk: Dr Anthony Leeds, Professor Jennie Brand Miller: Books
I know some of the others in the GI forum use books by Rick Gallop/Patrick Holford/someone Denby - it might be worth you doing a general post to see what they recommend too. Good luck, R x

yesterday:
B- porridge mix
L- was out and about. had a fibre fix bar, still hungry so had another low GI museli bar from the supermarket. Can of minestrone soup later afternoon when I got home.
S- fruit strip (I think these are similar to nakd bars ?? 100% pulped fruit made into a small bar that tastes like eating sweeties..?). 2 x NS sweets
D- bean and veggie burrito with one stoneground multigrain tortilla, served with red quinoa,mangetout, green leaf salad and small dollop lite sour cream

Today
B- porridge with jam
L- one slice grainy toast with spicy beans (from last night) and poached egg
S- fruit strip
D- wholemeal pasta with tomato veggie sauce topped with grated cheddar.

Last edited:
Cast off YAY!!
Over 2 weeks no smoking YAY!!

All is good :D

Went to weigh myself this am (now I don't have the cast weight) to find out the scales' batteries have run out -bah!

Yesterday:
B- porridge
L- large seed oat bar, 1/4 chicken and sundried tomato wrap
S- slice grainy bread with LF spread
D- Aloo channa masala with basmati rice/barley mix and homemade chapatti

Well done Ruth, you're doing really well with the no smoking and everything else that has been going on. Have a nice weekend! :)

3 pounds lost over the last 3 weeks - I'm pretty happy with that given the circumstances!

Thursday:
B- porridge
L- left over channa masala with small amount of rice
D- homemade Roast vegetable, borlotti bean and spinach soup. 1 piece homemade grainy bread.

yesterday
B - porridge
L - homemade roasted veggie and bean soup
S- fruit stick
D - pasta with tomato and veggie ssuce. Small amount of cheddar cheese.
S- piece of grainy bread with LF spread
3 beers !

Today
B-porridge
L - 3 homemade oven baked falafels with 1 wholemeal pita bread, spinach, salsa, roast onions and pepper
S- fruit stick
D- planning on making split pea and smoked ham soup (can you tell that I love soup, I'm always making it! Especially as the weather is getting colder and the leaves are falling off the trees here)

B- porridge
L- split pea and ham soup
S- skinny latte
D- planning on making cottage pie with Nicola potato/cannelini bean mash on top, with green beans, broccoli, carrots and kale

Actually got round to going to the market today, so stocked up on lots of yummy meat and veg for the next few days instead of getting everything from the supermarket. Meals we've got planned are:
the cottage pie
steak and roast veg (they had some lovely scotch fillet in the sunday arvo sell off)
Bean chilli
Roast autumn veg and borlotti bean soup
and, I'm quite excited about this one... Boston Baked Beans - the original amercian version of baked beans. I've never made it before, but I love tinned baked beans, so the real deal sounds extra delish! I'll report back on how it goes ;)

So, had the cottage pie for dinner, but unfortunately it was so nice that this evening everytime I've been in the kitchen I've had another spoonful (for two!) of the leftovers. Might have to get my husband to confiscate it...

B- porridge

L- Boston baked beans (totally delicious) with a poached egg and one slice grainy bread. Glass grapefruit juice.

S- felt super hungry about 4-30 - I think a combo of it being really cold today and the fact Iv'e been studying all day= need for comfort and distraction! Was really craving some cheesy stodgy comfort food. Compromised on an open-faced toastie - 1 slice grainy bread with large spoonful of boston beans spread over topped with cheddar melted under the grill. It totally hit the spot! I think if I'd gone for a museli bar or yoghurt etc, I'd have just ended up picking at food all afternoon as my stodge craving wouldn't have been satisfied.
2 more glasses of grapefruit juice - I'm totally addicted to this stuff.

D- scotch fillet with roasted butternut squash, carrot and peppers. Spinach and green bean salad.

Sounds like you are getting on great! Menu looks nice too. Do you make the Boston Beans? If so would you mind sharing the recipe?

Yes i made the beans- it was the first time I'd done them and they turned out really nice. I sort of amalgamated a few recipes on the web, and eye-balled the amounts of everything, so I might have to make them again and pay more attention in order to write out a recipe!
I sort of used this recipe Homemade Baked Beans Recipe - Taste.com.au but with only navy beans (the sort used in regular baked beans), bacon bones instead of the hock, and probably about double the amount of beans and everything, then after adding the toms etc I put it in the oven for 1 hour-ish
I was initally a bit concerned about the maple syrup, but I looked it up and the GI is only 54:)

B- slice of grainy toast with LF spread. Skinny latte x 2

L- Boston baked beans with poached egg, 2 falafels and spinach

S- glass grapefruit juice, 2 x NS sweets

D- homemade meatballs with nicola potato mash and steamed veggies

Sounds good Ruth, I'll definitely try them some time! Your food is looking very nice.

Didn't think there would be much change this week even though food has been good as portion-sizes have been quite large and I think I must be totally hormonal the last couple of days : I have a spot on my chin that is threatening world domination, I bought an 80s white and fluoro pink skijumpsuit from the charity shop (!!?!) and I had the bizarrest craving for cheese yesterday (and that's not something I would normally crave...)

BUT, weighed myself a day early as I wanted to see how things were going - 2 pounds off this week YAY!:talk017:

Yesterday:
B- porridge with jam

L - I had to go to a teaching afternoon at work where they have a buffet lunch - usually consisting of white-sliced bread sarnies, mini cakes, coffee with full fat milk, and a few bits of fruit. So I planned ahead and took a wholemeal pita stuffed with 2 falafels, roasted onion and peppers, salad and salsa, and my own coffee with skim milk in a travel mug. It worked perfectly, although I did end up having 1/4 chicken wrap (they serve them in 1/4s which is quite handy) and 1 small bite of a chocolate fudgy brownie thing. Quite happy with how I managed it overall.

S- stole half a piece of hubby's toast with LF spread. Fruit strip.

D- Bean and veggie quesedillos (spelling?) made with 1 wrap and some grated cheddar, served with quinoa and spinach/lettuce salad.

S- 2 slices of cheddar

thursday:
B- porridge
L- bean and veggie chilli with quinoa/barley mix
S- Skinny Latte on the way home- drank half of it before realising the cafe had put sugar in it (it was super hot, so difficult to tell) -- I really noticed the effect- felt tired and lethargic the rest of the afternoon
D- Chicken with nicola pot/cannellini bean mash with steamed veggies and gravy
S- Sugar and lemon pancake - hubby was making them. initally resisted but then gave in. I blame the sugar earlier on in the day for the lack of control ; )

Yesterday:
Late brekkie- porridge
L- roast veggie and split pea soup
D-half a Low GI pizza with Nicola wedges and salad
Dessert- Blackberry and apple crumble - made from Rick Gallops book

Felt really fat and grumpy yesterday. Hadn't slept well the night before - likely due to the late night pancake debaucle. Got my winter coat from last year out as it was pretty cold, only to discover that I couldn't do the buttons up : (

Today so far
B- slice of homemade grainy bread with boston baked beans, poached egg and spinach
L- beef and veggie chilli quesodillo with salad

Go Ruth!!!!! -2lbs last week!!!! And just look at the fab food you are enjoying. Your menus are varied, wholesome and delish!!!!! Dont you just love GL!
Planning is important. I agree with you on that. It need not be a great problem either. If you always make sure there are a few key ingredients in the cupboard you can whip up a filling stirfry or bean stew pretty quickly. I usually make two extra portions of my spicy bean dish. It will keep in the fridge for three to four days easily! I also make up two spare portions of quinoa qith chilli in it and can add this to a salad or stirfry. Again this will keep in the fridge for three days at least.
Have a great week this week.

Not been doing so well over the last few days :( - meals themselves have been good, but there's been snacking on innappropriate items! Tortilla chips and salsa, chocolate (although I did put some of it in the freezer ;)), fruit tart, lots of toast/bread.
Need to cut out the crap this week...

Yesterday:
B- porridge. Skinny latte
S- fruit strip
L- lentil and veggie soup
S- 1/3rd large bar of green & black milk chocolate.
2 pieces homemade grainy bread - warm just out of the breadmaker- I couldn't resist.
D- beef and barley stew with steamed veggies

Today so far:
B- slice of grainy bread with NS jam
S- glass of skinny milk (I wondered whether the random cheese cravings were a sign I needed more dairy in my diet, so I'm trying this out)
L- tin of campbells healthy roast chicken and winter veg soup

Planning on making daal makhani for dinner tonight

Back