Ruth's GI Diary

Oh the snacking can get the better of us can't it! I find once I start introducing too many of them I just keep going!!!!
As you say, your main meals are good so all is not lost. Perhaps your cravings are down to your sense of taste returning now you are off the ciggies?? Just a thought.
Hope you get back on track. Remember you are only really in trouble once you stop trying!

Over one month with no smoking now- YAY :D. Maybe you're right about the taste buds Molly - I hadn't thought of that.

Weigh in day this am - STS for this week. So the plan for the coming week is:
:)No more inappropriate snacks!!!
:)Measure out portions/be more aware of portion sizes
:)log more regularly what I'm eating, so I don't forget about anything.
:) Might even consider going for a long walk... (I'm a bit allergic to exercise;))

So far today:
B- 50g porridge with half milk/half water. 1tsp NS jam and 3 pecans.

Ah a great positive post!!! Ruth you are doing so well. A STS is a good result. Anytime I was sticking on a STS it definitely was my portion sizes that was the problem together with too many snacks. If you want yo log intake and track nutrition as well, the myfitnesspal site is pretty useful. You could log food for a week or so.
I think you are brilliant to have stayed off the ciggies. A month down, wow!!! Great result and great willpower.
Re exercise: I read in a book by a dr Rob Thompson on GL that exercise every other day is very beneficial to start with. So maybe a brisk walk every second day will help too.
Have a good weekend.

Probably true -but i quite like Rick Gallop's approach of no exercise :D, cos I don't like getting all out of breath and sweaty (except in certain situations ;))!

Rest of yesterday:
S- 5 pecan halves

L- Campbells roast chicken and veggie soup with 2 tbsp added lentils, 1 slice grainy bread with scraping of spread.

S- 1 cookie (was at the hairdressers and they bought it over with my coffee. It was sat infront of me for nearly an hour until I gave in and ate it!)

6 pecan halves - can you tell I bought a bag a few days ago? They're so yummy!

D- friday night delight of daal makhani with aloo jeera (half nicola pots half sweet potato), rice/barley mix and 2 chapattis.
4 bottles low carb beer.

Today
Head hurts :(
I'm such a lightweight!

B- 1 slice grainy bread no spread with boston baked beans, fresh spinach and pesto scrambled eggs (made with half whole eggs,half egg whites, skim milk and a dollop of fresh pesto)

Food looking scrummy as usual. Enjoy the weekend.

Rest of yesterday:
S- long walk mid morning that cumulated at a coffee shop for a skinny latte. Also indulged in a 'brownie bite' - which I though was really clever of the cafe --- take a normal brownie and chop it into 6 pieces then sell them seperately so that women watching their weight like me can have a couple of mouthfuls of fudgy chocolately nutty goodness without all of the guilt. Bonus!
L- homemade veggie minestrone soup
S- all the left over pecans (?7 or so)
D- beef bean and veggie chilli with 1 wholegrain wrap, small sprinkling of LF cheese and quinoa/rice mix
Late evening snack - about 5 large spoonfuls of left over chilli.

Today:
B- 4 large spoonfuls of leftover chilli (I know, I'm a weirdo! We've run out of plastic tubs as I've put so much stuff in the freezer over the last few weeks, so the chilli was sat out in the kitchen still when I got up this morning (it's pretty cold here at the mo), and I just can't resist leftovers...)
Followed by a more traditional bowl of porridge with NS jam.

Last edited:
"then sell them seperately so that women watching their weight like me can have a couple of mouthfuls of fudgy chocolately nutty goodness without all of the guilt. Bonus! "

Nice that the coffee shop do that. Great idea!
I use the OH for this!! He loves desserts etc so I take a spoon or two of his if I really fancy something sweet.

I totally get you - I made OH an apple strudel this afternoon and just had 2 bites of it.

Rest of today:
S- fruit strip
L- beef bean chilli wholegrain wrap with salad
S- 2 bites apple strudel. Piece of grainy toast with LF spread
Schooner of beer
D- 1pork sausage, butter bean/potato mash, steamed veggies and gravy

Yesterday
B- porridge 50g with jam
S- fruit strip
L- homemade veggie minestrone soup with 1 slice toast with LF spread
D- large portion of spinach and ricotta agnolotti with tomato veggie sauce. Spinach salad. Small sprinkle LF cheddar
S- 3 low carb beers

Today so far:
B- missed as too busy
S- 1 slice grainy bread toast w LF spread
L- beef and bean chilli with quinoa

Ruth your menus are always mouthwatering. Obviously you are a fab cook.
Now, no missing breakfast. It is so easy to go downhill any day you miss it. Least that's what I find. Grab a carman's bar at least !!!

Hi Ruth,

I fancy trying to make some minestrone soup, do you a recipe or is it a "chuck it together" type concoction? do you just leave the pasta part out of it?

i'd love to have this for a nice lunch at work.. mmm

Ruth probably has an even nicer version as her food is so yummy but this is s decent one

Minestrone

This warming soup is perfect for getting you through the afternoon without hunger pangs. The cannellini beans are full of soluble fibre, which will keep blood sugar levels steady.

The minestrone freezes well, so divide it into single portions and put it in the freezer. The night before it is needed, leave it to defrost in the fridge. This is particularly good eaten with a slice of granary bread (see recipe on in the Breakfast menu).

Serves 6

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 medium courgettes, diced
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 large sprig basil, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ spring pointed green cabbage, chopped
To serve: allow 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan per person (optional)

The best way to make this soup is to cook the ingredients as you go. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently fry while you peel and dice the carrots. Stir in and continue with the celery, followed by the courgettes. Cook the courgettes for about 2 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes. Fill the tomato can with water, twice, and mix into the vegetables along with the chopped basil. Season and allow the soup to simmer gently for 30 minutes.

Mix in the drained cannellini beans and the chopped cabbage and simmer gently for a further 30 minutes. The longer the soup cooks, the better it tastes. Divide between bowls, sprinkle with parmesan, if using, and serve.

hehe, nice compliment Molly, but my general cooking method usually involves just cobbling together whatever's available in the kitchen. so you might want to stick with Molly's recipe :D

My minestrone basically boiled down to chopped onion and diced carrot dry fried with just a bit of spray oil,
then stock, herbs, paprika, black pepper, crushed garlic++, 2 handfuls of red lentils, 1 large handful chopped cabbage, 1 handful of dried wholemeal pasta spirals and a large spoonful of sundried tomato and capsicum dip (it was in the fridge and needed using!).
Cook until nearly done (?about 15mins) then add drained tin of beans (I think I used butter beans) and a couple of pinches of salt and cook until beans are heated through (about 5mins)

Last edited:
Rest of yesterday:
D- half a low GI pizza (multigrain base, passata, herbs, chopped onion, red peppers, few kidney beans that needed using, sprinkled with LF mozarella) with some nicola pot wedges and salad

Late night snack - OH was making pancakes (again!), and this time I resisted them by having a small bowl of chocolate porridge - hubbie thought this was bonkers but I thought it tasted good! Porridge cooked with skim milk and 1 tsp sugar substitute then added 1 tbsp of dark chocolate granules ( these are tiny chunks of real chocolate that are normally for making hot chocolate with)

Today:
B- porridge with jam
S- fruit strip
L- split pea and smoked ham soup with 1 slice grainy bread toast with LF spread

First shift back at work this evening after being off for months with my wrist injury, so feeling a bit nervous!
I've got a tub of daal makhani with rice/barley out the freezer to take for dinner. Just have to resist the biccies in the tearoom!

Well done on resisting the pancakes. Good luck with getting back to work. It will feel strange after a long time off. I'm sure once you are back a day or two it will feel like you never left!!!

So, yesterday evening I had the curry and rice/barley as planned plus a fibre fix bar. Also had 1 mini twix that they had on the desk at work :( then a small slice of homemade white :eek: bread when I got home.

Today
Missed brekkie again, although didn't intend to - was meeting a friend for brunch, but she was running late so by the time we met there wasn't time to eat before she had to leave for work.
Had skinny latte

S- fruit strip

L- tinned healthy minestrone soup

D- Gammon steak, poached egg, boston baked beans and green beans and mangetout
S- 2 mouthfuls of hubbie's ice cream

Well done hon! A pound gone forever and nearer to goal.

Back