Sainsbury's You Fools

TRISTAR

Gold Member
Not sure if someone has already posted this, but I'm so so disappointed with Sainsburys. I have always bought my flavoured waters from them, as some of the range was malic only. I have just been, and they have re-branded all of their flavoured waters, and they have now all got citric in too.

Gutted, as I hate coke, and I don't like plain water.

I don't know if it just hasn't been updated but the Sainsburys site says Strawberry and Kiwi; and Blackcurrant and Cherry are both citric acid free.

Do you like Dr Pepper? Their zero brand has no citric acid according to the bottle i'm drinking right now.

A couple of Ribena Plus squashes have no citric acid. Raspberry and Apple and the blackcurrant version both citric acid free.

I have a bottle of the fizzy blackcurrant and cherry beside me right now - no citric acid listed on the label and it's bloomin' lovely!

Do the squashes not contain juice though? Juices often have their own sugars, even though the label may say no added sugar. I don't like Dr Pepper. I have also just written to Sainsburys as their website doesn't seem to match what is in store.

My job is managing nutritionals/allergens/dietaries for a drinks manufacturer ironically lol, and I handle these type of queries all the time

I should think if they had real juice in they'd be more than trace level carbs on the label. I'm assuming these drinks are trace carbs, I don't drink them myself.

Do the squashes not contain juice though? Juices often have their own sugars, even though the label may say no added sugar. I don't like Dr Pepper. I have also just written to Sainsburys as their website doesn't seem to match what is in store.

My job is managing nutritionals/allergens/dietaries for a drinks manufacturer ironically lol, and I handle these type of queries all the time

Most of them are 0.5g carbs per 100ml diluted. Drinking is something I seriously struggle with on Atkins. So much so that i'm following the 'Protein Power' level of carbs (30g) which i've divided into 20g for food and 10g for drinks. Do you know for sure that citric acid stalls you? I drank lots of Pepsi Max when I lost weight and the combo of aspartame and citric acid didn't seem to limit my losses.

How about:

Tea with two Dairystix (Tesco) - 1.2g carbs
Tesco Diet Cream Soda - 0g carbs, no citric acid, sucralose sweetened

Diet drinks generally have never stalled or slowed me down. I think I just like to think I am maximising loss potential by cutting them down. I think I'll just go back to my highly diluted squash.

I was drinking a can of coke zero a day and I think it stalled me. It's confusing as Atkins says we can't generally have caffeine.

I'm cutting the diet drinks out for a while to see if that was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

What I've found from my 12 years on off low carbing, is its mostly trial and error. Some people stall with some things, others not.

Back