Sarah83's New Diary

It sounds like you've had a great weekend, hope you feel re-energized now.
I think you're right, you don't have to follow slimming world to the letter, get loads of vitamins and a balanced diet to give as much nutrients as you can to your body and your baby...chances are your meal will probably all be slimming world friendly anyway x

Tuesday 12th April

Breakfast:
WM Toast
LF Spread
Tinned Cherry Tomatoes

Lunch:
Leftover cheese, leek & bacon WM pasta from last night

Dinner:
Youngs breaded cod
HM Potato wedges
Mushy peas
Blob of garlic mayo

Snacks:
Go Ahead yoghurt bar
Alpen light
Carrot sticks
Mini pain au chocolate
1 lemon cookie from M&S (not very nice)

Water - 500ml bottle x 3
1 x coffee
1 x decaf coffee
SF lemonade

Last edited:
Wednesday 13th April

Breakfast:
WM Toast
Sardines in tomato sauce
(Attempt at getting some omega 3 but regret it now as has made me feel quite sick all morning and I ended up giving the cat about a third)

Lunch:
Leftover WM pasta in cheese, leek & bacon sauce

Dinner:

Take away grrr - salad pitta, some fries & 4 garlic mushrooms
Snacks:
1 slice WM bread with peanut butter
Carrot sticks
Go Ahead yoghurt bar

500ml Bottle water x 3
1 x regular coffee
More water
Umm... a small Easter egg

Last edited:
Hmm my plan to start eating better isn't really working that well with sneaky naughty snacks creeping in...
I'm still doing better than I was though, I think!

Although I will have to try to up my omega 3 by having it hidden in things (I'm thinking fish fingers maybe??)
As those sardines made me feel really sick this morning. I'm currently gulping down water to try and make the feeling go away... never mind, the cat enjoyed the leftovers ;)

Had a bit of a freezer inventory check last night, in there are:
3 x SF 5 bean chilli's
3 x SF Quorn bolognese
3 x SF lamb curry
1 x huge pack chicken thighs
1 x pack sirloin steak
1 x pack chicken breast fillets
5 x breaded fish fillets
2 x small chicken & mushroom pies
1 x pack tortellini
2 x turkey burgers
2 x Quarter pound beef burgers
1 x pack apple & pork finest sausages

As well as some lollies, and frozen veg.

I had no idea half of it was in there - we've only got a tiny freezer so not sure how I managed to stash all that in there... anyhoo looks like I've got no excuse really to eat proper meals - although I'm having a Tesco order on the weekend and really want to get some meat bits for potential BBQs over the long weekends, as well as more lollies for all the sunshine we're going to have :innocent0001:

So operation 'eat through the freezer' begins!

Impressive freezer list! I daren't list mine, it would look awful, although the naughty things are for him indoors :D I have aquired quite a lot of lean mince and bacon somehow........

Your food diaries look great! Lots of tasty things for you and bump :) I think I have the only cat on the planet who doesn't eat tuna, sardines, salmon or chicken..

Mmm, I love peanut butter, I had some yesterday too :)

You have got a lot stashed in your freezer! Our freezer is so poorly packed - about one third of it is shop-bought ice cubes that OH got last year to turn a cool box into a beer cooler when we went camping!
Then there's quorn odds and ends squashed in around that.
One drawer has meat and rustic skin-on chips (but I'm not a fan of frozen chips) and frozen pizzas which take up loads of room (but we can't have OH starving when I am away can we?!) and the top drawer has nothing but ice cream and bread! OH gets through a lot of ice cream... he SO doesn't deserve to be thin ;)

You're both too good to your OH's - I only get what I fancy, he'll have to like it or lump it :p

Funny thing is after I took out the chicken curry last night to defrost - in quite a huge tub... there doesn't appear to be any extra space :confused:

I'm quite impressed at how much I had stashed in there, it's only a small freezer at the bottom of a tall fridge freezer.

I'm thinking WM bread with peanut butter is a healthier alternative to crisps at the mo - and there are days when I'm just constantly hungry so need to make sure I've got plenty to keep me going...

I want to order some lean mince too - as I'm still not really into red meat (although did enjoy a beef stir fry on the weekend) but need to up my iron then I figured lamb & beef mince is the way to go - I'm thinking meatballs, cottage pie, SW donner kebab, lamb kebab/pattie things

I know, faaaaar too soft! Thankfully his naughty things are things I ain't so fussed on - chocolate, ice-cream, burgers. The rest he quite happily eats the same as me.

I know what you mean, I'm not a massive fan of red meat at all. But I love mince made into cottage pie, spag bol, chilli etc. Keep meaning to try the SW donner kebab, shame lamb mince is so expensive :(

This is a pregnancy related thing for me - I completely went off meat early on.
And although I think I could eat it now, it's a psychological thing as I haven't eaten it really for 3 months. Like I don't think I could face a roast beef or lamb dinner, but going to ease myself in gently with stir fries etc.

It's not so bad though... I like my steaks very rare and that is a big no no in pregnancy so at least I'm not missing them!

Runny eggs are a different thing though - I really really fancy a runny egg, particularly poached with hollandaise a la eggs benedict (another no no due as eggs need to be totally cooked through) ... never mind, hard boiled eggs will have to do for now!!

Yep will definately pick up spinach and broccoli.
Trouble is fussy hubby doesn't like broccoli so that's something else I have to cook separate :rolleyes:

I love spinach in pasta, just hate how quickly it goes off...

There's a lovely Jamie Oliver recipe for a spinach side dish - he sautees some spring onion and garlic, then stirs in a load of chopped spinach and a handful of peas, followed by a glug of white wine. Steams it all off and serves with a bit of grated nutmeg.
Admittedly I don't ever use the nutmeg as it's not something I ever have in, but it's really scrummy for a side dish.

Mmmm I also love spinach in pasta. I tend to use the frozen blocks of it from Farmfoods, £1 and it doesn't go off :) Not keen on it as a side veg though. With your hubby on broccoli - yuk!

I love spinach, only trouble is that is disappears to nothing when you cook it! Was just commenting earlier on Meli's diary that she mixes quark and spinach to make a yummy topping for crackerbread - an idea to steal I think :)

Plus it will make your baby strong like Popeye :)

Found this list of high-iron foods:
  1. Cereals & Grains: barley (Bajra), Rice flakes
  2. Pulses & Beans: Cow pea, Lobia (black-eye beans), Lentils, Soybean
  3. Vegetables: Beetroot greens, Mint, Parsley, Turnip greens.
    Vegetables like broccoli and bok choy are rich in iron. These vegetables are high iron and also high in vitamin C, which increases absorption of their iron content. The presence of vitamin C in these vegetables help absorb iron.
  4. Sea vegetables are very high in iron. Refer the high iron food list given below.
  5. Spices: Turmeric (Haldi)
  6. Fruits: Dried dates, Watermelon, Raisins
  7. Fish and Red meats
So lentils and pearl barly will also be good for you. And crispy seaweed ;) Who knew?!

Thank you so much for that - it's really useful!! I'd rep you but not allowed...
Hmm I'm thinking lots of lentils then - dhal and chucked into salads and one pot dishes.
And I'd forgotten about the Vitamin C thing - they say to drink OJ when eating something high in iron as it helps you absorb it.

Watermelon's a bit of a shock - didn't think it really had anything in it, let alone iron!!
Might have to start getting into dried fruits then.

Additions for Tesco list: spinach, raisins, lentils, broccoli

Love that crackerbread topping as well, does she cook the spinach or chop it up raw?

Mmmm I also love spinach in pasta. I tend to use the frozen blocks of it from Farmfoods, £1 and it doesn't go off :) Not keen on it as a side veg though. With your hubby on broccoli - yuk!

The only time I've tried frozen spinach is when making a canneloni. I know this sounds really dumb but does it spread out with the pasta, or stay clumpy?

The one from farmfoods I found is more like whole leaves, cooked then frozen. So it kinda spreads about with the pasta, but I usually chop it up first, to keep the clumps down. I did get some from Birmingham market once which was chopped and far better, but it's quite a way to travel for frozen spinach! I've also used it mixed into spag bol, to add a bit of healthy stuff to it. I've also defrosted it in the fridge fine, and nuked it in the microwave to no ill effect :)

Yesterday was a bad day!!

I was so exhausted all day - sleepy in work, then just really exhausted walking home I just crashed out on the sofa. Was also really cold and just couldn't get warm, on top of that my nausea seems to have come back.

So basically hubby came home at 6.30, I had no inclination to cook (or eat for that matter) so we ended up ordering a takeaway - I had a salad pitta, some fries and about 4 garlic mushrooms.
Glad I did really as it eased the nausea (which is back again this morning :() as well as me feeling really really sleepy again. Hmmm me thinks my body is playing tricks on me again, lulling me into a false sense of feeling better then going back to yuck again.

Never mind, on the plus side it is Thursday and I CAN'T WAIT for the weekend.

I'm also braving dying my hair tonight (first time since beginning of December so you can imagine my roots!!) - so I bought a new dye - a Botanics one (figured that's got to be more natural :confused:) semi-permanent in a darker blonde. I did a strand and sensitivity test for the first time in my life - which came out fine. But looks like the colour is in between my roots, and my normal dye so it's in the right direction!

Then I'm having my hair cut Saturday ready for Saturday's wedding, and hubby's surprise 30th party on Sunday. Going to go quite a bit shorter - was looking at some old photos of me and I prefer my hair shorter. It's funny because I grew my hair for my wedding 5 years ago, and I've almost been too scared to go short since... so I think I'll take an old photo of me in and say 'I want it like this'. My hair's so thick it's too heavy when it's long and I really fancy a change to cheer me up!

Thursday 14th April

Breakfast:
2 slices WM Toast
Peanut butter

Lunch:
Ryvitas
Laughing cow EL
Cherry tomatoes

Dinner:
Pizza

Snacks:
WM bread with peanut butter