Sarah83's Tasty Food Diary

Made britmums orange and almond cake yesterday - took a while to cook as oranges take 2 hours, then the cake another hour, but I tried a bit warm (couldn't resist) and although the texture was a bit eggy, I thought it was really tasty. I'm counting the syns for my cake as 13 in total. This is for the flour, and also the tbsp of sugar I had to add as didn't have enough sweetner left.
I didn't syn the oranges (naughty naughty), because there were only 2 oranges in the whole cake. I get it with the whole 'you eat much more fruit than you would normally if it's cooked' but I figured a third of an orange per portion isn't really going to make that much difference... I may regret this later!

Anyway here's the link to the recipe if anyone wants to try it:

Orange and Almond Cake | Slimming Eats

Been doing a naughty sneaky weigh each morning and it looks like I've STS... guess I can't really complain if that's the case tomorrow as I'll only have been on plan for 4 of the 6 days since I last weighed. Hopefully there'll be some sort of dramatic change by tomorrow :rolleyes:

Also don't know what's up with me this week but I'm constantly exhausted!! Don't think I've felt fully awake or alert all week... v. strange :sigh:

Friday 3rd September - EE/Green

Breakfast: 'fried' egg on WM toast (HexB) with 1tsp Bertolli light (1syn)

Lunch: Salad with mixed leaves, veggies, new pots and HB egg and EL salad cream (1syn)

Dinner: Veggie chilli (0.5syns) from the freezer, with wedges and cheese (HexA), followed undoubtedly by some cake!!

Drinks: 1 coffee with dash of milk (0.5syns or part HEXA), Green tea, 2 x 750ml bottle water

Snacks: Cherry toms, 2 apples

Total Syns:

Last edited:
The cake sounds lovely. It's really good if you manage to keep on track while still having a peak at the scales. When I do that I tend to mess up my weight loss ("Oh, it's only been two days and I've lost weight = I'll have some cake"...or..."5 days on plan and it looks like have put on = I might as well have some cake")...
Anyway, don't get disheartened...you may well keep all the weight loss for next week!

i am trying to ignore the link to that cake...i will not open...i will not open...i will not open

are essences free? like vanilla? if so, could you use orange essence to make it even more orange-y? when meg and i used to make chocolate muffins we used to bung orange essence in to give them terrys chocolate orange taste...omg this talk is not good for me

did you do the stroppy fellow pasta? we had it yesterday, even noah loves it

went back to work myself - so busy forgot to eat breakfast, no snack, finally ate my leak & potato soup (homemade) at 2:30, didn't have time to eat bread, ate my carrots at dinner time this evening, i find it so much easier at home!

Thanks girls - don't resist the cake though - actually works out only 14syns for the whole cake so you could eat the whole thing if you wanted too!! :eek:
And to be fair it was really orangey, just the texture wasn't quite cakey enough for me.

I'm ok with my sneaky peaks on the scales as my body does strange strange things, in fact somehow my scales managed to show a 2.5lb loss this week (well from Friday to Saturday in fact) so I'll take that thank you very much!!
Only different thing I could tell was that I completely forgot to weigh before I had a shower so I weighed post-shower with wet hair and all... if anything though I would've thought that would make me heavier???

So that's most of my bingy couple of weeks accounted for... fingers crossed it carries on that way.

Ps - none of you will be surprised that my wine ban did not last the weekend :eek:

Determined to have a good week in work this week, been so demotivated after they told us we're all losing our jobs, it's really hard to get back into everything. :sigh:
On the plus side going to have a couple of hours out looking for a good xmas party venue today so that should make the day a bit better!

Food over the weekend was ok, but I did falter on a couple of occasions :eek: ... anyway back to it today!

Monday 6th September - EE

Breakfast: Beans on WM Toast (HEXB) with 1tsp Bertolli light (1syn)

Lunch: SF quiche with mushroom, leek and bacon and marmite! (Thanks Ellebear)

Dinner: Cottage pie made with EL beef mince, loadsa veggies - leek, mushroom, carrot, topped with mash made with milk from HEXA and topped with cheese (3syns)

Drinks: 2 x Coffee with milk from allowance, 2 x 750ml bottle water, SF lemonade, decaf coffee with milk from allowance

Snacks: Strawberry muller (which I managed to blob all over my work clothes!), carrot sticks, more quiche!

Total Syns: 4

Last edited:
My wine ban was stopped before it even started! I have cut down though ha ha! :D

My wine ban was stopped before it even started! I have cut down though ha ha! :D

Ha Ha!! Have literally just commented in your diary that our wine bans lasted as long as each others!! Never mind - less is better I suppose!!

Hi Just popped in to say Hello, having a few probs getting back on plan but I will get back, its just when is my problem!!!

Tuesday 7th September - EE

Breakfast: WM roll (HEXB) with 'fried' egg, brown sauce (0.5syns) and bertolli light (1syn)

Lunch: Salad with mixed leaves and veggies and chicken tikka

Dinner: Stroppy fellows pasta (2syns) with a sprinkle of parmesan on the top from my HEXA allowance

Drinks: 1 coffee with milk from HEXA, 2x750ml bottle water, SF lemonade

Snacks: Mandarin muller (really tasty, never had before), pear, plum, 8 Mikados (4syns)

Total Syns: 7.5

Last edited:
Hi Just popped in to say Hello, having a few probs getting back on plan but I will get back, its just when is my problem!!!

Hi Nikkiruth, hope you're ok. I know it's hard to get back on track sometimes but just think about how well you've done so far, you can definately do it again! xx

Well I made stroppy fellows pasta last night, it was ok but I did find it a bit bland. If I make it again I'm going to add some chilli and lemon zest when cooking the chicken, and more lemon juice right at the end I think... Also I'm not one to have meaty sauces with pasta (apart from mince in my bolognese) so I may even swap the chicken for mushrooms if I have again!

Wednesday 8th September - Green

Didn't plan on today being green but looks like it's going to turn out that way...

Breakfast: Beans and toasted WM roll with light bertolli (1syn)

Lunch: Mixed salad with FF cottage cheese

Dinner: Bad Bad Bad - pizza and wine - aaagh!!

Drinks: Coffee with milk from HEXA, 750ml bottle water

Snacks:

Total syns: about a zillion

Last edited:
Had a BAD day yesterday.

Who I blame for this:
1. Work for being so busy I turned to chocolate (and so starts the slippery slope)
2. Lidl for having some lovely pinot grigio on offer
3. Pizza Hut for opening a brand new store down the road
4. The postman for delivering lots of money off vouchers for said store
5. And finally me for having ZERO willpower :whoopass:

Line is drawn

I should have been super good though as today is going to be no better.

My Dad is coming over from the Isle of Wight to stay tonight before we go camping.
So I'm finishing work early and going to meet him and hubby for lunch at our local, which will probably be something completely un-SW friendly (they do lots of fancy food but it's delish!!) but I will be drinking diet coke.

BUT I did put a beef curry in the slow cooker this morning to have for tea tonight (was a bit wierd chopping onions at 5.45am!!). If it's good I'll post the recipe. It's completely syn free of course.
So I'm going to pick up some poppadoms to go with :eek: and serve with steamed rice... and maybe some wine :eek::eek:

Then we're off to Vanfest in Malvern to camp in the rain for 2 nights!! Where I will be pretty good but perhaps not 100% (although last time I went camping I ended the week with 5lbs off so here's hoping!)

Glad to see you have drawn a line under yesterday – what happens in the past stays in the past! ….and it sounds like you really were up against with all those things conspiring against you!! ;)

Sounds like you have made some sensible decisions re: upcoming camping trip! Hope you have a fab time x x :D :D

Well done for drawing the line under yesterday and preparing a curry so early in the morning!!! Let us know the recipe if it's good I wouldn't mind a change from chicken curry!
Maybe I shouldn't say that but talking about wine from Lidl, my favourite is a viognier. It tastes just the same as some expensive Viognier wines I've had before in France...and for under a fiver!!!

DID SOMEONE SAY BAN WINE!!! please no

Sorry you didn't enjoy the stroppy fellow pasta - i must admit i am over generous with the red pesto and paul smothers his with cayenne pepper (but then paul can't eat anything without a covering of cayenne), Hazel substituted the chicken for veg - and she reported it was good, I must admit this is the only pasta meal that i eat with meat (oh other than my pre-SW diet recipe for Chorizo pasta)

I second the request for teh beef curry recipe, getting bit bored of the green thai curry, paul makes it hotter and hotter each time he cooks it lol!

Back