Scotland - holidays

hazysummer

Hi,

We are planning to come to Europe during April (when it regularly reaches 45+ here)

Never been to Scotland before, but I'm trying to find accomodation which is close enough to Edinburgh for a few day trips, but also easy enough for us to go for drives / walks.

there seems to be so much choice - does anyone have any suggestions for an area / town to look at?

many thanks in advance

Hi there :)

Glasgow is 40 mins away from Edinburgh if you like art/architecture. Stirling for William Wallace and the castle. Edinburgh itself for the castle?? What types of things do you like to do/see? xx

Hi Stephanie , I didn't realise that Glasgow and Edinburgh were so close!

I think we'll have about 10 days and a hire car

so I'd like a couple of days walking
a couple of days cultural - museums / galleries
a couple of days city or town mooching / shopping
a couple of days driving round to see beautiful sights
a pub lunch day for the OH
cinema would be a plus

Currently I live in landlocked West Africa, so any sea, horizons, greenery, scenery and cultural activities will make me happy! This is why I'm having trouble with making a choice - anywhere but the Hebrides would seem like a possible option!

Yeah to be honest, if you have 10 days then that is a good amount of time to see quite a lot as everything (apart from up North Scotland) is quite accessible.

My go to places would be:

so I'd like a couple of days walking definitely go to Glencoe, it is around 1.5 hours from Glasgow, stunnng scenery Glencoe Scotland - The Clachaig Guide to Glencoe and the Scottish Highlands. Mountains, History & Accommodation
a couple of days cultural - museums / galleries - has to be Glasgow - Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
a couple of days city or town mooching / shopping - again Glasgow has probably the best shopping in Scotland
a couple of days driving round to see beautiful sights - on your way to Glencoe, drive another 1.5 hours and you will still be surrounded by gorgeous scenery and you could stop off at Fort William, home of the tallest mountatin in the UK - Visit Fort William - Scottish accommodation, activities and events guide
a pub lunch day for the OH - on the way to Glencoe, this pub is lovely and cosy and serves good food - you could even stay a night Drovers and Drovers Lodge Traditional Scottish Inn Loch Lomond
cinema would be a plus - In Glasgow you will find Cineworld, which is the tallest cinema in Europe Cineworld Cinemas: Cineworld Cinema In Glasgow Renfrew Street See Film Times For The Latest Movies & 3D Films and Book tickets for Performances In Glasgow Renfrew Street

I will try think of more :) xx

Also a day spent in Edinburgh is fun too - lots to see and do - cobbled streets, a great tour I went on was this: The Real Mary King's Close - very informative and fun! :)

Im assuming you fly into Edinburgh so you could do:

Edinburgh 2 nights
Drive to Glasgow 2 nights
Then on to Glencoe, stop on the way (even stop at Loch Lomond, it's on the way) LOCH LOMOND, Accommodation, Loch Lomond, Scotland stay a night
Then on to Fort William 2 nights
Then 3 days to make your way back to Edinburgh.

Just as a guide, Edinburgh to Fort William is a 3 hour drive. This would be the route: Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, UK to Fort William, Highland, UK - Google Maps

xx

Last edited:
I would say try and stay in or near glasgow, as for me personally its alot nicer than Edinburgh. It is the second city for shopping in the UK after London. It is close to loads of sights and the drive to other places i.e Fort William isnt too bad. Your close to Loch Lomond Shores, Balloch. Helensburgh is also lovely. Not too far from Stirling either.

But then either way. THe whole of Scotland is just beautiful.

thank you both for the tips - I guess I'll be spending the evening on the web!
Stephanie - you aren't per chance moonlighting for the Glasgow tourist board are you?? lol ;)

Be aware that it has been known to snow in April so bring all kinds of clothing!

The museums and other attractions may be quite busy and lively in April as the schools are closed for 2 weeks for the Spring holiday, plus the Easter break, plus the Royal Wedding holiday.

I'm going to suggest something a little different with the Highlands. Base yourself somewhere like Kingussie, Aviemore or even Inverness for the beautiful "wild Highlands". The Isle of Sky is also within reach.

Alternatively, the west coast, take a train journey from Glasgow-Mallaig for the most beautiful scenery. Or Visit Oban and take the Caledonian Macbrayne ferry to the fabulous Isle of Mull!

Personally (and it is only my opinion) I would only visit Glasgow and Edinburgh on day trips as opposed to staying in the vicinity. Parking can be a nightmare in these cities so use the Park & Ride schemes.

Other great places to visit (other than those already mentioned) include Glamis Castle - the Queen Mother lived here as a girl/young lady. Urquhart Castle & Loch Ness (of course), Stirling Castle, Edinburgh's Golden Mile, Cairngorms & Funicular Railway, Gretna Green - not forgetting all the wonderful Border towns such as Melrose, Jedburgh, Kelso, Hawick etc.

In fact forget touring. Just move to Scotland! Heck I even travel up there for lunch sometimes!!!

10 month required rather than 10 days!

Steve

thank you both for the tips - I guess I'll be spending the evening on the web!
Stephanie - you aren't per chance moonlighting for the Glasgow tourist board are you?? lol ;)

Lol no, but I do own property in Glasgow so am there on occasion and have lived all over Scotland, also being brought up in Ardnamurchan and born in Aberdeen :)

Scotland has sooo much to see and do! I'm actually from Germany but just fell in love with the country while on holiday and moved over here a few years ago :D

The others have mentioned so many beautiful things to visit. I don't think you'll have trouble filling your 10 days holiday.

If you are interested in history and castles, have a think about buying an Explorer Pass from Historic Scotland. Considering Edinburgh Castle alone now costs aroung £10 you'll save a lot of money. I think National Trust will offer something similar but I'm not sure as I'm more of a HS-girl. Unfortunately, you are a bit early as Stirling Castle is undergoing this huge restauration but won't open the Palace until June - the rest that you can see is still very interesting though!

Glen Coe is one of my favourite spots. How about a little 2-hour-Boatstour from Oban harbour? Ok, I do realise maybe not the best of tip on this page, but I have to say it: there is a tiny cafe in Oban at the waterfront where they make their own chocolate (to eat there or buy), hmmmm. St Andrews is always worth a visit (don't miss the Northpoint Cafe). Culloden Visitor Centre has re-opened a few years ago and has a magnificent exhibition centre now. Just a trip around the Isle of Skye?

Quite a few castles offer now B&B or hotel stay. Depending on your budget this must be absolutely brilliant. Have to say this has been out of my reach so far, however, the SYHA (Scottish Yough Hostel Association) also has some impressive buildings, e.g. Loch Lomond or Carbisdale Castle up north.

Wishing you the best of holidays! :D

Starlight said:
I'd recommend visiting Fife the east Neuk is lovely and St Andrews us a definite must see. I can recommend a fantastic b&b :)

Dunfermline as well, abbot house, the abbey, st Margarets cave and the glen which was gifted by Andrew Carnegie.
Falkland palace, the hunting home of royalty.

Perth is lovely with fantastic scenery on the way to the highlands. Caithness glass is nice to see the glass blowers at work. And scone palace is lovely.

Back