Seems to be very popular

Hi jfc,

Some people move on to a slimming club after losing the main bulk of their weight with a vlcd...as they find the support they offer keeps their weight in check.

Again I believe it all boils down to having support...weight loss is one part of the journey and it does not end there...if we return to old habits we get the same old results. Support is essential to maintain the weight loss

So I am all for support where ever it comes from, it has to be a good thing:)

I've done SW 3 times and each time lost about 3 stone. Alas, I got so bored with eating baked potatoes and cottage cheese that I soon gave up and put even more back on!
It's a great diet, I think, if you haven't got that much weight to lose but it didn't cure my bingey nature!
love

Oh SW!!! I did it for 12 weeks, lost and regained the same 4 lbs and gave up! :p Just found my addiction to rice and potatoes wasn't aided by them being 'free' foods! :rolleyes:

They dont have SW in the South (Ireland)....Nor do they have Rosemary Connley...

Why? Dunno

Ivy

hI,
I am doing slimming world instead of CD. It is really good but the free food I always eat in moderation as I don't want to go silly! My loss is slower but one day I will return to CD when I feel up to it
Angie xxx

Good for you Angie - in the end, as long as we're all doing it healthily, it doesn't matter whether it's a VLCD or food plan - we're all in it together! ;)

Hi there - I think SW is a good diet but it doesn't teach you portion control. "You can eat a whole chicken without the skin on a red day - as much pasta as you want' on a green day - you are supposed to eat in moderation but the idea that you can eat as much as you want of certain foods was for me a real problem.

Hi,

Would love to know how you lose weight if you can eat all you want on a red day:confused:

Can someone explain the plan to me?:)
Love Mini xxx

Mini,
s.w is quite simple to follow - a red day - is mainly protein which you can eat freely, as Diane says you could eat a whole chicken or 10 if you wanted - there are free foods which you can eat freely whichever day your following ( green days are carbs ie pasta, pototoes, rice) free foods would be fruit, veg, muller light yogurts:) )

Have a look on their website - there is a members bit which you can get into but you need a password for that - try 'pilchard' if that dosnt work try 'peaches' you may have to give an English postcode tho seeing as they dont have sw in ireland!!

I joined with my friend a couple of weeks ago, put on 2lb the first week, i didnt really stick to it so was happy with that..... am back on my shakes tho of yesterday! I will be going this week, as I ordered a book that has all the sin values of most foods. ( you can have between 5-15 sins a day) each food thats not free would have a sin value) so really no food is not allowed you just have to keep an eye on the sins...

Hope thats of some help

love
Geri
x :D

Re How SW works

Hi Mini - re red and green days - it seems to be about food combining to some degree - on a red day you can eat as much as you wish of certain foods like lean meat, fish, cottage cheese - certains foods like eggs are limited - also fruit - bananas are limited for obvious reasons - and unlimited veggies - no beans - rice - pasta - pots etc - but on a green day you can have the same unlimited (apart from bananas etc) fruit and veggies and also pulses - rice - pasta - pots etc - of course no meat on a red day and no pasta etc on a green day un less you use it as part of your allowance - there is an allowance of a slice or two of bread according to what kind it is or a bagel or potato or portion of rice, noodles etc - you are also allowed skimmed milk half pint (I think) and around 200 calories to have a treat or have some dressing on your salad and so on. You really can lose weight on this diet - around 2 pounds a week on average but if you leave out your extra 'syns' as they are called (the 200 calories) you can of course lose more quickly. I lost nearlt 2 and half stone on this diet in 1999 and felt great but then got stuck - the downfall for me was portion control - I just pigged out - eventually stayed the same or put a little because ate such large amounts so there you go.......it is a really good diet if you keep your portions small and only eat until you fill satisfied which is what you should be advised your SW counsellor - my one used to say 'you can eat a whole chicken etc which wasn't helpful to me!!!! Cos I did!!!!!

Have a good day Mini and thanks again for this site - you and your OH are so clever and everyone else on your team. Oh and I forgot to say it seems to work because on red days you don't eat carbs - doubt you'd get into ketosis though but people on red days usually lost more quickly and green days you went to the loo a lot!!!! Of course it is essentially a diet low on sugar and fat - surprise surprise. And hi to Geri - xxxx.

xxxx

Hi Diane53,

Thanks for that, I see how it works now.

I LOL about the chicken
smilie_l.gif
portion control is something that really did get out of hand with me and now as a family we are aware...honestly if another ten people had arrived for dinner in my house I would of been able to feed them.

It was truly a case of my eye was bigger than my belly:(

I am finding my eye is coming down with my weight...WW did help me with portion control for I had lost the plot on what was a portion size...mine were enough for four people.:eek:

Love Mini xxx

I've done SW on a number of occassions with success, but the last few times I found it a struggle.

Sometimes I couldn't get the portion control right. Not having a stop button in my head made this next to impossible and basically SW is just another calorie controlled diet so you do need some kind of portion control.

Other times I did it, I lost the weight well, but I was eating well under what I should for health, because I just couldn't face the meat without the extra sauces and carbs to help them go down. You could use the syns, but there weren't enough sins to have that and a small treat each day. So one or tother.

When I did it the first time, there wasn't a green day. You only had the red day, and that certainly wasn't a very well balanced diet. I suppose it was a little bit Atkins style really.

But whatever works eh, and I reckon different diets suit different people at different times in their lives.

Karion Dieting said:
I've done SW on a number of occassions with success, but the last few times I found it a struggle.

Sometimes I couldn't get the portion control right. Not having a stop button in my head made this next to impossible and basically SW is just another calorie controlled diet so you do need some kind of portion control.

Other times I did it, I lost the weight well, but I was eating well under what I should for health, because I just couldn't face the meat without the extra sauces and carbs to help them go down. You could use the syns, but there weren't enough sins to have that and a small treat each day. So one or tother.

When I did it the first time, there wasn't a green day. You only had the red day, and that certainly wasn't a very well balanced diet. I suppose it was a little bit Atkins style really.

But whatever works eh, and I reckon different diets suit different people at different times in their lives.

I feel your right there about different diets suit different people at different times of their lives...it is about getting the balance right of in-put...out-put. How much fuel does our body need to work...
food-smx.gif

I didn't get on with SW at all. Probably due to the reasons others have stated: portion control.

It's no good really being able to eat wholesale a particular food 'because you can' ... it teaches you very little about control and although 'you can', why 'you shouldn't'.

Also, I have insulin resistance which led to me developing type 2 diabetes and exacerbated my obesity. Green days would be a total disaster for me as most of my carb intake is converted straight to fat. Many people have insulin resistance and don't even know it: that's why some people lose very little or even gain on a calorie controlled diet containing too many carbs. Talk about soul destroying!

Anyway, I guess it's very much a case of 'horses for courses' but the big guns (SW & WW) definitely weren't for me.

Debbie x

RD, I think that explains why SW never worked for me. I read a book about syndrome x and i think I am either insulin resistant or very close to it!!

That's the other name for it GM ... Syndrome X, Metabolic syndrome or Insulin resistance - all the same thing. And a flippin' pain in the posterior it is too! I'm hoping that losing a large amount of weight will help but I think I'm always going to have a diet containing minimum carbs.

That's why the GI diet is a good one for me and why Rosemary Conley worked where others didn't.

Debbie x

Hi Geri,

Think I am getting to under stand it will check out site when I get a chance, I have bought their magazine but when you don't know the lingo it is a bit hard to follow as they don't go into detail in any of the magazine I happened to buy.

Was wondering about sins...
devil-u6.gif

joined with my friend a couple of weeks ago, put on 2lb the first week, i didnt really stick to it so was happy with that..... am back on my shakes tho of yesterday! I will be going this week, as I ordered a book that has all the sin values of most foods. ( you can have between 5-15 sins a day) each food thats not free would have a sin value) so really no food is not allowed you just have to keep an eye on the sins

Hi Mini
I think these extra 'treats' have been re-named 'SYNS' because it gives the wrong message to call a food a 'sin'. But why call them 'syns' when that word means diddly-squat I have no idea.

This was one of the reasons I didn't do well on WW & SW ... tooooo fiddly man!! Red days, green days, points, no count ... blimey!

At least with RC it was straightforward - if it had more than 4g of fat per 100g on the label then you couldn't have it. Simple.
There were treats you could have but to be honest, I used to just put my nose to the grindstone and get on with it. I find the more loopholes there were on a weight REDUCTION diet then the more I'd exploit them.

It's different with maintenance where the focus is on control and conscious choices.

Right - well I'm off to sort out our beach BBQ: catch you all later!

Debbie x

You've all summed up the main problem very nicely.......it is about portion control and unfortunately SW really doesn't address that............in fact it's the reverse as you're actively encouraged to eat as much free food as you want!!!

Having said that, like all diets, it does work if you stick to it - I lost 4st about 5yrs ago. Problem was I got sooo bored and just couldn't keep it going - needed to lose over 8st at that time and it seemed never ending :(

Like mini, it taught me to consume enough for about 4 people :eek: and of course that just exacerbated the problems I had to start with.........I WAS a binger.........BIG style :eek:

Must add that like all things it's 'horses for courses', so if it works for you go for it :D

Back