pinkponytail

Made these on Saturday. I've been making them for a while, one of my friend's grandmothers gave me an original recipe using split peas which took overnight soaking and forever to cook - and then my mother revealed a hack using chickpeas which produces the same flavour and texture and more than halves the prep and cook time.
My favourite way to eat them was in a sandwich with two slices of bread and tomato ketchup, but that was way before I attempted this with a salad- the soft texture just goes so beautifully with crunchy leaves!

Recipe:
500g minced chicken (745 kcal, 41g fat, 0carbs)
1 tin chickpeas, drained (306 kcal, 7g fat, 39g carbs)
1 red onion, chopped finely (55 kcal, 0.3g fat, 10.8g carbs)
3 green chillis, chopped finely (45 kcal, 0g fat, 0g carbs)
1 heaped tablespoon ground coriander & cumin
1 heaped tsp salt
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
handful of fresh or frozen chopped coriander (approx 20kcal, 0g fat, 0g carbs)
1tablespoon mixed ginger & garlic paste (or 1tsp each) (10kcal, 0gfat, 0g carbs)
1tbsp coconut oil (112kcal, 12g fat, 0carbs)
1 egg (70 kcal, 5g fat, 0g carbs)
1tablespoon cornflour (130kcal, 3g fat, 6g carbs)

Yields:
20 kebabs, at 72-75kcal each, 3.2-3.5g fat each, 2.5-3g carbs each.

I will usually have two in a portion, or three if I'm exceptionally hungry.

Method:
  1. heat the coconut oil in frying pan over medium heat.
  2. Fry onion until it starts to brown.
  3. Add cumin & coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala. stirfry for a minute.
  4. Add garlic & ginger paste and stirfry for another minute.
  5. Add mince and break-up and fry until cooked.
  6. Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to cooked mince.
  7. Blend chickpea & mince mixture into a dough. I used a hand-blender because I don't have a powerful enough food processor, and it did the job beautifully.
  8. break and mix egg in separate container, and add to dough.
  9. I throw in the coriander and chopped chilli at this point too. Mix.
  10. Add cornflour, and mix/knead until combined and the entire mixture has an even amount of chilli/coriander going through it.
  11. Shape into 2inch patties about 1cm thick, (You can cook some of these now, but I find they hold together much better if cooked from frozen).
  12. Lay out on lined baking tray and freeze. Once frozen, take off tray and pop into a freezer bag. Will keep for a month when frozen- but mine don't last that long!

Cooking method- These can be baked in the oven but the outer texture is best when fried (they crack in the oven), so I brown mine on both sides (straight from the freezer) in a non-stick pan and then pop into an oven for 10-15minutes to cook through. They're great in buns as spicy burgers as well for the family, but I enjoy these in salads and lettuce wraps.

Goes great with a mint chutney:

In a blender combine:
  • a bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
  • a bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
  • 6 to 10 green chillies (according to taste),
  • 1tbsp grated ginger and
  • juice of 2 limes
- I usually also make this in advance and freeze into ice cubes; they work well to season other sauteed veggies, and also as a spicy salad dressing. Add a cube to a heaped tablespoon of 0% fat greek yoghurt for a spicy yoghurt & mint dip/sauce which goes great with lamb.

Last edited:
These sound really nice, would this be something I could have as my add a meal on week 3. Presently on my second day of total solution so might be a bit ahead of myself!

Back