Shedding the pounds back to slinky - with vlcd, fat melting and skin tightening - Alevere stylee

At last into the 250s....I'm 258.4lbs today - just under 181/2 stones. I have a big college reunion (40 years!) next weekend. I am hoping I will get into my size 18 dress. It's a bit uncertain right now....so I'll have to decide tomorrow if I need another dress for the evening.

It's been good getting back onto my vcld - my mind is in the right place to do this.
Well done in getting into the 250’s:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Whoop! Well done Ali! Keep the pounds coming. Very chuffed for you!And wow on another 5% since August! It's really adding up well for you :)

A bit slower this past two weeks as I had a weekend off at the reunion. It was surprisingly easy to get back on 100%. I'm allowed the occasional low carb low fat meal - so had chicken last night at my sisters and an boiled egg salad last week.
I'm much easier up and down the stairs and easy into size 20s now. I went for a swim on saturday - and will go again this week.

I didn't get into the size 18 gown - so wore a tunic that looked great. I also got a new jacket, top and trousers as I wanted to look smart - and my complete wardrobe is very casual at the mo. It seemed a luxury but worth having. The jacket will be easy to take in so I'll be able to wear it for interviews and if I get back to work later this year. I've found a job to apply for - so will get that in over the next few days.

I feel like I've made good progress - though I am about 8lbs behind where I'd like to be ideally. however given everything else in my life, I'm pleased. I've been thinking about what I might do at goal - maybe start riding again. Definitely get a bike and use it daily - tracking and increasing distance (thanks for the motivation, Bert!). Nearly half way now - so onwards and downwards.

That sounds brilliant Ali! Well done and im happy you got to also enjoy the reunion properly. Im sure that by incorporating some exercise youll be able to lose those extra 8lb, bit by bit!

I wear an M+M v kneck sleeveless summer dress as a night gown - and have a lovely big towelling robe. So the robe is now wrapping right round me - still nice to wear but beginning to big tooooo big. I took the dogs out into the garden this am in my dressing gown. My nighty was too long - less of me means it got wet with the dew on the grass! 0.3lbs to go into the 17s!

Doing really well Ali!

Hi @AliGal x Loving your diary and your commitment so I thought I’d better say hello and hope some of it rubs off onto me :p
You’re doing absolutely brilliantly xx

Hi @AliGal x Loving your diary and your commitment so I thought I’d better say hello and hope some of it rubs off onto me :p
You’re doing absolutely brilliantly xx
Thank you. I've got an ambitious slimmer for Xmas target too! But getting nearer to it will be great even if I don't get there!

Thank you. I've got an ambitious slimmer for Xmas target too! But getting nearer to it will be great even if I don't get there!

Exactly! Go hard or go home! :character00116: Xx
I’m at work at the moment so bit limited for time but when I get home I’ll google the diet you’re doing as I’ve not come across it before. It’s obviously suiting you well xx

A post from yesterday about what works for me:
I started off doing low carb - www.dietdoctor.com - slowly and still eating well I was shedding. In retrospect, I wasn't putting enough effort in. I think if I'd planned better and combined less than 20g carb a day with 1000 or 1200 calories and maybe some intermittent fasting or 5-2 I would have lost lots more. I wasn't tracking everything every day.

So with the collapse of my relationship, I decided to accelerate - and am doing a vlcd that is medically monitored at a clinic. It's called Alevere - 5 sachets a day (sweet and or savory - some shakes - some cooked) plus salads, low carb fruit and veg twice a day - some on a free list - others (tomatoes, berries, onions etc) a max total of 100g, plus minerals, supplements etc. Monthly bloodtests and review with the clinics GP. So I've not had any keto flu and feel great. It also has some weekly treatments - which shape the body and help the skin retract. Pretty important to me as I have 100lbs+ to shed. I'm not sure what my final weight will be - size 14 is my target and I have a classic size 16 LK Bennett suit (jacket, dress and trews) I got in TK Maxx Kensington (great for up market brands) some years ago I'd like to fit into.

A few things that help me:
1) reading the forums here and when I was keto - the reddit on keto and 1200 calories. I don't always post due to my living situation - but read and cheerlead others. It inspires me to see y'all doing so well and people getting back on track when life disrupts them.

2) I daily weigh. I log it on MFP and Fitday. MFP as I have some friends there. Fitday as it has really good report graphs so I can see where I am against plan (currently 5lbs behind my plan). On Fitday, you set the date in the future and can see the forecast of where you will be on future dates, if your goal goes that far ahead.
Weight loss isn't linear. I don't stress if I go up. I just had a weekend off - and shed ony 1lb that week. Then this past week, I'm shedding daily. I travel with my weight scales. I love having the MFP ticker on my profile - especially as I'm almost half way!! Seemed impossibble at the start. My goal is an interim goal as 12 stone seemed impossible. When I hit my interim goal, I'll put 12 stone as my final goal - and go there if I feel it suits me. I certainly will not go to the BMI recommended 10stone or lower. I was last 10 stone when I was in my low teens!!

3) I drink as much pepsi max as I want - even though it's not recommended. Sometimes I drink none and other times a litre!!

4) I took a before picture. I also measured my waist and track that every 4-6 weeks on MFP. I want a waist below 34 - and preferably 32 inches.

5) I did NOT tell people what I was doing. I just tell people what veg or fruit I want. I travel with my scales to measure the veg/fruit on the 100g a day max list. I do not JADE - I don't justify, argue, defend or explain my programme. It's my business. People around me are on an info diet - on what I eat, how much I've lost etc.

6) It takes forever for people to notice if you start very fat. For me - it's around 3 stone. I just smile and say yes or thank you. No JADE-ing!

7) Wear nice clothes. Chuck your big stuff except one pair of trousers and a top. Yr preferred charity shop will love you for the good stuff. Recycle the fabric on those scuzzy t-shirts etc.

8) pack away any smaller clothes into bags by size - so you go and shop yr own closet and liberate them when they'll fit. Any that don't feel good or you wouldn't buy now - get rid! Yes - chuck em. Even if that means you only have a couple of tops and bottoms. Buy in charity shops/ebay/amazon /supermarkets/outletshops so you don't walk around like a clown in oversize clothes. Amazon tips: Figure out which vendors have big brands you know suit you - read the comments as the reviews will tell you the likely brand if they are debranded - eg M&S have take the labels out). Buy things from China that include free returns - in advance as they can take time to arrive. If the quality or fit isn't ok, return them. I bought jeans sizes lower - as I saw good brands. I'm in 18s to 22s now - I like getting into a lower size but don't worry that I still have a George 22-24 jeans which fit my thighs,

9) buy a buckle-less belt (on amazon) if your trousers are too large at the waist.

10) Check yr real bra size with this brilliant bra subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/ try to have at least one bra that makes you look and feel good. Mine is from Asda. I'll buy the brands they suggest when I'm at goal.

11) I wrote a long (nearly 100) reasons why i want to be size 14. I wrote some and added more over a couple of weeks. I reveiw it often.

12) Be careful about yr language & selftalk: https://ucalgary.ca/cdm/files/cdm/changeyourthinkingtohelpmanageyourweight20130412.pdf You are what you think. And stop with seeing food as a "treat" - create a list of alternative ways to reward yrself.

13) I have has one deviation for a very special reunion - and won't have another one. I occassionally have some protein a couple of eggs, 100g chicken or 140g of white fish for a meal - maybe once or twice a month - as approved by my GP. That now seems like a big portion!

14) Developing new habits: I have lots of variety in my salads - and vary it by what I buy week to week. I really like those little cucmbers in Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons, fennel, a little gem a lunch, one sliced raddish - in fact today's salad had 11 ingredients - just a little bit of various things. I'm getting to love salad - and will continue this habit when I am at goal.

15) I am someone who never eats stuff in the car (contrast with old me - MacDs, petrol station swet and savory suff etc). I define myself as the new me. That makes it much easier.

16) I asked my housemate to remove the things I found compelling (crisps, carrs cheese melts. sweet things) from the kitchen. Other things I moved to a new place - so disrupted my old grazing patterns.

17) I'm gathering some exercise things I want to do when settled. In the meantime, I swim when I can get to a pool. I was in a 24 suit and now am in an 18. I'll bike when I have somewhere to live - and today decided I'd do a 13-15 minute weight lifting programme 3 times a week.

18) No alcohol. I just say no thanks - or order myself sparkling water with lime. I don't JADE about this. People care a lot less than you think. If someone presses me, I just say I can't drink at the mo and change the subject.

19) And although I am dammned proud of myself, I don't talk to friends or family about it !!!
I started off doing low carb - www.dietdoctor.com - slowly and still eating well I was shedding. In retrospect, I wasn't putting enough effort in. I think if I'd planned better and combined less than 20g carb a day with 1000 or 1200 calories and maybe some intermittent fasting or 5-2 I would have lost lots more. I wasn't tracking everything every day.

So with the collapse of my relationship, I decided to accelerate - and am doing a vlcd that is medically monitored at a clinic. It's called Alevere - 5 sachets a day (sweet and or savory - some shakes - some cooked) plus salads, low carb fruit and veg twice a day - some on a free list - others (tomatoes, berries, onions etc) a max total of 100g, plus minerals, supplements etc. Monthly bloodtests and review with the clinics GP. So I've not had any keto flu and feel great. It also has some weekly treatments - which shape the body and help the skin retract. Pretty important to me as I have 100lbs+ to shed. I'm not sure what my final weight will be - size 14 is my target and I have a classic size 16 LK Bennett suit (jacket, dress and trews) I got in TK Maxx Kensington (great for up market brands) some years ago I'd like to fit into.

A few things that help me:
1) reading the forums here and when I was keto - the reddit on keto and 1200 calories. I don't always post due to my living situation - but read and cheerlead others. It inspires me to see y'all doing so well and people getting back on track when life disrupts them.

2) I daily weigh. I log it on MFP and Fitday. MFP as I have some friends there. Fitday as it has really good report graphs so I can see where I am against plan (currently 5lbs behind my plan). On Fitday, you set the date in the future and can see the forecast of where you will be on future dates, if your goal goes that far ahead.
Weight loss isn't linear. I don't stress if I go up. I just had a weekend off - and shed ony 1lb that week. Then this past week, I'm shedding daily. I travel with my weight scales. I love having the MFP ticker on my profile - especially as I'm almost half way!! Seemed impossibble at the start. My goal is an interim goal as 12 stone seemed impossible. When I hit my interim goal, I'll put 12 stone as my final goal - and go there if I feel it suits me. I certainly will not go to the BMI recommended 10stone or lower. I was last 10 stone when I was in my low teens!!

3) I drink as much pepsi max as I want - even though it's not recommended. Sometimes I drink none and other times a litre!!

4) I took a before picture. I also measured my waist and track that every 4-6 weeks on MFP. I want a waist below 34 - and preferably 32 inches.

5) I did NOT tell people what I was doing. I just tell people what veg or fruit I want. I travel with my scales to measure the veg/fruit on the 100g a day max list. I do not JADE - I don't justify, argue, defend or explain my programme. It's my business. People around me are on an info diet - on what I eat, how much I've lost etc.

6) It takes forever for people to notice if you start very fat. For me - it's around 3 stone. I just smile and say yes or thank you. No JADE-ing!

7) Wear nice clothes. Chuck your big stuff except one pair of trousers and a top. Yr preferred charity shop will love you for the good stuff. Recycle the fabric on those scuzzy t-shirts etc.

8) pack away any smaller clothes into bags by size - so you go and shop yr own closet and liberate them when they'll fit. Any that don't feel good or you wouldn't buy now - get rid! Yes - chuck em. Even if that means you only have a couple of tops and bottoms. Buy in charity shops/ebay/amazon /supermarkets/outletshops so you don't walk around like a clown in oversize clothes. Amazon tips: Figure out which vendors have big brands you know suit you - read the comments as the reviews will tell you the likely brand if they are debranded - eg M&S have take the labels out). Buy things from China that include free returns - in advance as they can take time to arrive. If the quality or fit isn't ok, return them. I bought jeans sizes lower - as I saw good brands. I'm in 18s to 22s now - I like getting into a lower size but don't worry that I still have a George 22-24 jeans which fit my thighs,

9) buy a buckle-less belt (on amazon) if your trousers are too large at the waist.

10) Check yr real bra size with this brilliant bra subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/ try to have at least one bra that makes you look and feel good. Mine is from Asda. I'll buy the brands they suggest when I'm at goal.

11) I wrote a long (nearly 100) reasons why i want to be size 14. I wrote some and added more over a couple of weeks. I reveiw it often.

12) Be careful about yr language & selftalk: https://ucalgary.ca/cdm/files/cdm/changeyourthinkingtohelpmanageyourweight20130412.pdf You are what you think. And stop with seeing food as a "treat" - create a list of alternative ways to reward yrself.

13) I have has one deviation for a very special reunion - and won't have another one. I occassionally have some protein a couple of eggs, 100g chicken or 140g of white fish for a meal - maybe once or twice a month - as approved by my GP. That now seems like a big portion!

14) Developing new habits: I have lots of variety in my salads - and vary it by what I buy week to week. I really like those little cucmbers in Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons, fennel, a little gem a lunch, one sliced raddish - in fact today's salad had 11 ingredients - just a little bit of various things. I'm getting to love salad - and will continue this habit when I am at goal.

15) I am someone who never eats stuff in the car (contrast with old me - MacDs, petrol station swet and savory suff etc). I define myself as the new me. That makes it much easier.

16) I asked my housemate to remove the things I found compelling (crisps, carrs cheese melts. sweet things) from the kitchen. Other things I moved to a new place - so disrupted my old grazing patterns.

17) I'm gathering some exercise things I want to do when settled. In the meantime, I swim when I can get to a pool. I was in a 24 suit and now am in an 18. I'll bike when I have somewhere to live - and today decided I'd do a 13-15 minute weight lifting programme 3 times a week.

18) No alcohol. I just say no thanks - or order myself sparkling water with lime. I don't JADE about this. People care a lot less than you think. If someone presses me, I just say I can't drink at the mo and change the subject.

19) And although I am dammned proud of myself, I don't talk to friends or family about it !!!

Last edited:
Brilliant post, thank you Ali!

Great post Ali, I can relate to a lots of that.

Posted on Alecto's thread this am - info on body composition and bulges!!
My Alevere clinic has a machine that also reports on body composition including visceral fat, muscle/fat per limb/torso etc. https://uk.inbody.com/ They also use to make sure you are loosing fat and not muscle. Not sure how the metabolic rate report is generated. They used to use the MedGem - a breath test - for metabolic rate.

This bit of kit is currently being tested in some Cambridge university research - compared to the lab kit (you know that box you get put into with a mask on). The inbody is based on algorithms - so it will be interesting to see the comparative results of that research. I find it very motivating - and interesting to see how one leg or arm varies from the other.

I think refeeding needs 50-100 calories per day per week increase with really careful management of carb intake - to find the steady state without weight gain. The Lipotrim refeeding PDf has a useful explanation of their process. For me, getting to steady is a key goal. Not sure what the actual scale weight will be. Size 14 - and either 14/16 or 12/14 - depending on how I look. probably somewhere between 11-13 stone, with a 34 or 32 inch waist. I think my goal in the Alevere programme is 12 stone. I was last 12 stone in 1978! I want something i can sustain through my older age as I don't want to be a fat woman in a wheelchair! I also don't want a gaunt face. I've lost one spare chin - just one more to go.

Isn't it wierd that the body is so uneven? Unusually for a right handed person my left leg has more muscle than my right according to InBody. that makes sense as I had a dodgy knee and still lead with my left leg down stairs when I have plant fasciitis. Its' also more water - Oedema in that leg is still not good - although both my feet have sgarnk - less water retention. Right now I've lost a side bulge on my left side between the waist and the top of the thigh but still have 2-3lb+ of fat bulging out on the right side - it's a BIG bulge. Asymetrical!

Edited to add: https://inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/86958337-your-metabolism-and-your-body-composition/ interesting read.

Thank you for all the brilliant information. Mind you, i read through the calgary slides. And Ive made a little package for myself, 1 page per "homework" to keep me going 100% through October (and beyond!). Thats gonna be an interesting one. I like projects in general - so crushing October is my project and I am preparing for it.

CRUSH OCTOBER! I'm in. No idea where I'm living - but I'm in, Alecto!:bunnydance:

CRUSH OCTOBER! I'm in. No idea where I'm living - but I'm in, Alecto!:bunnydance:
I like this. Our little project :) fantastic ❤ right... We need to find a way to get you sorted with your living arrangements somehow...im a bit worried for you with that, although I'm sure you're on top of it. I hope it gets sorted super soon! Could you maybe rent something on credit card/help from family/friends and pay them back later and as the things between you and ex get sorted? I know I borrowed like that (although i did have to hear some nasty stuff), but at least it got me out of the house and then i paid back the money and addressed the nasty things. But at least i had my own space to think of those things...not sure. Maybe be stupid/unfeasible - just sharing my experience.

Staying with relatives next week. I'm not exactly sofa surfing - more spare bed surfing. So that gives me a week to get something better organised.

Staying with relatives next week. I'm not exactly sofa surfing - more spare bed surfing. So that gives me a week to get something better organised.
Yes! Another piece of good news..you and kelpie are making me smile today. You know where you'll be for a few days and i hope it will give you the mindspace to decide on your next move. Sending calm thoughts your way! (would some mindfulness help for you during this time, I wonder?)

Back