Shelbell's Baby Diary

Thanks all :)

Well today is 2 days after giving birth, and I think I need to apologise in advance for the rest of this post lol. I'm wearing jeans today that were too small when I fell pregnant with him! Just been on the scales and have lost 9lbs since Monday, which is great, as I know I'm retaining a lot of fluid etc at the moment. Puffy ankle heaven!

Had a good night with Charlie, up 3 times but straight back to sleep settling himself each time.

Congratulations Shelbell. I have been following your story for the last 9 months, but haven't actually posted anything. You are a true inspiration for us bypassers.

Charlie is gorgeous - enjoy!

x

Thanks all :)

Well today is 2 days after giving birth, and I think I need to apologise in advance for the rest of this post lol. I'm wearing jeans today that were too small when I fell pregnant with him! Just been on the scales and have lost 9lbs since Monday, which is great, as I know I'm retaining a lot of fluid etc at the moment. Puffy ankle heaven!

Had a good night with Charlie, up 3 times but straight back to sleep settling himself each time.

lol WHY am i not surprised?! lol hmmm.. but having said that.. I'll be in jeans post birth too.. shame they'll be about 4 sizes bigger than when I fell pregnant! lol I have a range of sizes to choose from so can't wait to find out what size I'm comfy in.

Hope your weight balances out at a good place for you. And you generally feel a bit better.

How is the wonderful charlie keeping? Feeding well? Sleeping well? Are you managing to sleep ok?

He's an absolute angel :) Probably because he's a bit jaundiced, it makes them sleepy and reluctant to feed. Today we've had the midwife round for his first check, all went well. We've been up to Tesco for a shop, I forgot how much old people stare at babies lol. He was great, slept the whole time we were there lol. Got him some early baby sleepsuits and vests cos the newborn ones are swamping him, particularly the Asda ones which are massive! The early baby ones are still generous on him but fit a LOT better than the others.

We've had a few problems with feeding, he's only been taking 1/2 to 1 oz at each feed and should be on 2oz at this stage. Tried him on the breast but he wouldn't latch on properly. Anyway, I had a thought that it might be the teats on the steri-bottles that he didn't like, so made sure we had some sterilised closer to nature bottles for the last feed and he took nearly a whole 2oz easily :)

Work called and asked hubbs to go and do a job for them, so we negotiated an extra day off for 2 hours work today lol. While he was out I dozed on the sofa for an hour so although I'm tired I'm ok :) Stitches not bothering me at all, and cramping getting easier.

All sounds fantastic shell! Glad you got some smaller sleepsuits, I have a few early baby bits in case, and some from when we fostered - waste not want not as my mum would've said (they are clean and nearly new in fairness as you know they're not in them for long).

Also glad you sorted the teat issue. bless him. Sunlight and feeding often will get rid of the jaundice - sit his moses basket near the window when the sun is shining - IF the sun is shining. ;) but I expect you know that already.

Also well done you on making it to the supermarket already! Blimey!! lol Hope your stitches continue to heal well for you. ((Hugs))

Hope I do as well as you are doing shell when it's my 'turn' lol.

Thanks PH :) Hubby is hovering constantly lol waiting for me to crash and burn!

Someone has stolen my boobs and replaced them with giant leaking boulders :eek: lol. Makes for an impressive cleavage!

lol hope i have that leaking problem later on! lol
Bet he's enjoying them though! lol And glad he's hovering in case.. just don't overdo things.

Awww Shel, fab pictures of the little man, he's gonna be a heartbreaker when he grows up! :D Well done you though, and I hope my labour will be nice and short lol! xx

Hi Shell, wondered how you are doing today :D
Still running around? or having a quiet day?
Hope lovely Charlie boy is doing well and feeding well still. :D

Had a bit of a crash last night, not so much tiredness etc, more chronic pain in my back :( Bad again today so hubbys just been out to get me heat pads and I'm off for a hot bath now.

Just had the fright of my life, one of the cats jumped in Charlie's carry cot and landed on top of him :eek: he didn't wake up and I leapt up and moved her off but it has scared me so badly. We're going to have to rehome them now because she could suffocate him or knock the carrycot over doing that. I need to be able to sleep on the sofa during the day while he sleeps in the carry cot and know that he's safe, which I can't do now :(

Aww thats a shame you've 'crashed' but can't say I'm surprised hun. x x take it easy - you've just had a baby after all!

So sorry about the cat situation, is there no way of just locking it out of the room when you are sleeping / dozing? Or finding a way around things? Such a shame to re-home animals if there is another way. I know it's not easy though especially with babies around. But cats will learn boundaries just as much as dogs do. ((hugs))

I don't feel comfortable taking the risk. It would only take a few minutes for her to suffocate him, and only a few minutes of me being out of the room making a bottle or something for that to happen. We've ordered a cat net which should be here Monday, and in the meantime we'll work on finding them a new home.

I do understand hun, ((hugs)) we had to rehome a dog when Erin was a toddler - not because of her but because we moved in with our MIL who was housebound on oxygen - he was a big boundy puppy despite having taken him to puppy classes for months we couldn't have gone out and left him with MIL as he'd have jumped on her to play bless him.

Fingers crossed everybody! Midwife came to do Charlie's heel prick and commented on his jaundice having spread down his body to his feet. She's done a levels check at the same time and we should get the results in about 2 hours. If it's high we'll both be readmitted for him to have light therapy.

Oh fingers x'd it's something you can work through at home - can they not let you have a light at home? seems a shame to have to be admitted.
Is he feeding well on formula now?

let us know how you go. x

Got the call, results are low enough for us to stay at home. Just have to keep him in sunlight as much as possible. In November. Lol.

I started expressing properly yesterday, 4 - 5 times a day, so he's mostly had expressed breast milk (ebm) today. He'll have formula over night. Last night he had a proper breast feed around midnight as he was rooting all over my chest while we were waiting for a bottle to warm up, so i let him latch on himself and it worked! Its a technique we learnt at the NCT classes, and as thats the first successful breast feed since the one 30 minutes after he was born I'm impressed.

Back